Zumaya Lands on DL Again

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090718&content_id=5923636&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

Zumaya yet again suffers another injury. Why do you guys think he has been having so much injuries? Is there something wrong with his mechanics?
What is he doing wrong that causes him to have injuries? Is he being overused?

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

p.s

In that link you can watch a video of his 7th inning performance were he got injured.

Its probably a combination of his “max-effort” mechanics and poor strength and conditioning. Idk exactly what, but that seems to make sense.

Anyone else?
I wanted to start a good conversation about this

its very possible that in combination with his rediculous arm whip, throwing at an excess of 102 may absolutely wreck your arm.

after all, your arm is only designed to throw 80.

[quote=“Connor McCarthy”]its very possible that in combination with his rediculous arm whip, throwing at an excess of 102 may absolutely wreck your arm.

after all, your arm is only designed to throw 80.[/quote]

^^^

Good mechanics or bad mechanics, throwing the ball CONSISTENTLY 100+ (His average velocity was 99.2) is hell on the human body. To be completely honest, he throws harder than just about anyone since the advent of the radar gun, sure guys touch 100+ sometimes, but Zumaya’s the only guy who pretty much sits in the 99-102 range. Four ligaments the size of your thumb, a muscle smaller than your hand, and some skin are all that are there to deccelerate his arm from 100-0, thats an enormous strain on anybodies shoulder, good mechanics or not.

Did anyone notice this or was it just me? In that video on the link his first pitch the announcer said is was a curveball but yet the radar gun read 97…stupid YES announcers

Nope it was a slide piece but 97 :shock: :shock: it looks like one of Marmols nasty ones??? Must have been a gun problem.

As to Joel…at those speeds you just can’t goof, slip, lose balance…Nolan Ryan was legendary for his complete concentration…I don’t know this kid, but getting a Guitar Hero injury would lead me to believe he may not be as diligent in his conditioning or mech maintenance efforts (You do not hear about other guys getting those type of injuries…a judgement thing). His delivery still looks very smooth to me. I hope he squares it up and gets a chance for a couple of injury free years.

Nope it was a slide piece but 97 :shock: :shock: it looks like one of Marmols nasty ones??? Must have been a gun problem. [/quote]

:lol: Yeah it had to be a gun problem.

His mechanics in that video seemed effortless and it looked like he was throwing 99 with ease.

as a side note detroit and many stadium guns are juiced up for the fans. if zumyaya could ever learn how to pitch instead of throwing his hardest and caring what the gun said he might actually become a decent pitcher

I agree Zumaya should really take it a little bit easier.

Its the yoga

Maybe, but Zumaya is clearly the hardest thrower the majors have seen in years.

Most people agree that the harder you throw the better you mechanics have to be to stay injury free. Nolan Ryan threw very hard for many years, but he also had his mechanics down to an art. People say that he could actually step in the same cleat mark over and over, all game. That may not be why zumaya keeps getting hurt but at 102, I believe that the smallest movement that is wrong could probably wreck a career.

Zumaya’s fastball was not juiced from radar guns - he really does throw that hard. Check out Fangraphs:

Fastball: 80.2% (99.3 MPH avg velocity)

To average 99.3 MPH on your fastball is nothing short of amazing.

As for injuries, he has some timing flaws IMO that cause his arm to violently lay back in shoulder external rotation.

Hold on, can you explain in a little more detail his flaws.

What does IMO mean?

And how come hard throwing Jonathan Broxton hasn’t gotten any injuries yet he throws equally as fast, and he looks in horrible shape. Zumaya is in better shape than him.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

King it isn’t as simple as saying for example, “He has bad X or Y”. He has outstanding talent, that doesn’t make him the smartest conditioner…or best planner or maybe he has a crap diet. This is the arguement that I have with O’Leary all the time. If it were that easy don’t you think some bright person would pop up and say…“Joel…stop doing that” and bingo he’s fixed? Kyle mentioned timing…I won’t debate that, but I’ll use it for an example. That one element causes some other part to have to adjust, that part may not be conditioned at those speeds to adjust due to say poor conditioning (I know duh right). At 100 mph the body is at max effort and velocity. He doesn’t have to mess up on every pitch, just one or two and it could mean catastrophic injury. I think it’s unproductive to speculate…can’t anticipate things like guitar hero injuries or whatever happened when he was helping someone move…and think about this…if he had to become inactive, his body lost much conditioning. If he rushed back before he was ready…that would be another huge factor in injury. Even an injured guy has to remain focused on the task at hand (Staying mentally and as much as possible, physically ready). So to point to one thing and say “THATS IT!!!” doesn’t color the whole picture.

What about Broxton. He is big and overweight at 295. How come he hasn’t gotten any injury.