Yt

You have some definite arm action issues (pie thrower), but it’s hard to say because you’re not throwing a ball, and also you have some soreness.

I’d be hesitant to offer any advice based on that because this may be affecting the way you throw.

When you get healthy and use a real baseball, put up another clip (preferable an animated GIF format clip).

This is the area of your arm action I’m talking about:

ddddd

What are the reasons or the perceived benefits from those mechanical changes? Are they related to the sore lat?

I agree with 101 on the arm action and the lack of a baseball. The clip he made demonstrates a lack of external rotation of the throwing arm - could certainly be due to not throwing a ball.

You’re right. Lankylefty has some good backwards chaining clips on his personal log.

With all do respect son…clips from last year really aren’t going to help you now. You need throwing clips of what you are doing NOW if you’re going to try and fix mechanical problems.

Do your best to get a clip just like the one you originally posted, but with a ball. No towels.

jjj

Try starting around here:

http://letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5449&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=156

Maybe he can chime in and offer some input on the drills he’s doing.

thanks 101, yea it would be great if he could, i just need some clarification on doing the drills. Right now me and my coach are working on releasing the ball out in front of my body with my body already extened and my arm inline with about my ear. I have some early work today before practice.

if what you’re telling us is true. you are a superframed, lefty throwing the ball consistently 90 and you are a d1 pitcher. with those numbers and pedigree, unless you have trouble with injuries, or can’t throw strikes, you will get a chance to pitch professionally. what year are you (soph, jr, etc) and where did you play summer ball. with those numbers, summer teams will jump all over you.

i don’t see major problems with your throwing motion if you’re throwing strikes and getting people out. you will not lose much arm strength in 2 weeks.

what does concern me is your loss of flexibility and range of motion in your throwing arm. this indicates there is a problem in your training program. specifically strengthening and properly stretching the back of the shoulder (common problem in throwing athletes).

i would recommend a complete evaluation by a CERTIFIED PHYSICAL THERAPIST. not a meathead trainer at a gym. the trainer can eval you and give you specific stretches and exercises to stregthen and protect your shoulder. we paid $1600 for our trainer and it is some of the best money we spent. we have had zero arm trouble since then. that was 2 years ago. ours is also a nutritionist and we went from 15 and 155 to 17 and 195 with a 32" waist. that is not a typo. he spends 2 hours per day at the gym and doesn’t touch a weight over 10 pounds for the first 45 minutes. it is all stretching core and shoulder work, and cardio. then the weights and machines kick in for a little over an hour.

in 2 years and 5500 calories of primarily protein protein, he has gained 35 pounds. it has made all the difference. mechanics are the same, the drivetrain went from stock to high performance. the difference between a stock mustang and a shelby gt500. there is no substitute for strength and flexibility. the secret to the elite athlete.

that is the magic bullet everyone is looking for. not mechanics. this takes YEARS to develop without steroids and cheating. but you have to make this sacrifice to become really special. if you rely on talent and mechanics only, the workers will catch you and pass you. the up side is, after it becomes part of your baseball life, it is addictive. my guy has to go to the gym, if he doesn’t he feels like he is cheating himself.

and he goes during the season. after a game and a quick meal with the guys and chicks (ballplayers are guys), he goes to the gym for a shorter 45 minute version without the stretching and cardio (done before the game). welcome to the other side of the game.

jumpman,

I’m still not clear on what you hope to gain from the mechanical adjustments you’re working on but, regarding the later release, holding onto the ball longer isn’t the way to do it. Your release needs to be timed to hit your spot. Holding onto the ball longer will prevent you from doing that.

The way to get your release point out front further is through other mechanical elements in your delivery. For example, staying closed longer lets you rotate later and push your release point out front further as will getting stacked coming out of shoulder rotation (which I think you already do well).

dddddd

Roger,

I was wondering what you think I should work on with mechancis. Because something needs to be fixed I think it is my arm action, but that is what I was told by some peopl(before I posted on this site), but I just would like suggestions. I think that my front leg needs to be more firm and I need to post off of it. But do you think if the arm action was fixed things would fall into place.

Also what things could I do to help with my external rotation. Right now I am manually getting stretched by the trainers back and then I do the bat stretch with a fungo to stretch it also.

Thanks

if you’re working with the reds trainer you are in good hands. that is the last team my dear friend vern ruhle worked for as their pitching rehab coach before he died 3 years ago.

most pitchers do not have a problem with external rotation (the elbow bent and taking the ball behind the body. this involves the front of the shoulder. most of the imbalance is in the back of the shoulder. every time you throw a ball, you stretch the front of the shoulder when you lay the throwing hand back to throw. the problem occurs after you throw, the muscles in the back are not stretch and tend to shorten. these require specific stretches usually using a strap and a 3 to 4 foot stick or pole.

the reds trainer will know what they are, and i’m sure you are doing those and jobe style dumbell or sugical tube work.

i am a coach. my son is a high school junior this coming spring. we have won 4 national championships in summer leagues and i played d1 baseball at oral roberts and in the alaskan summer league years ago.

i lived with dodger great jim brewer our college pitching coach for 2 summers and was a baseball business partner for 10 years with vern ruhle who pitched and was a pitching coach in the major leagues, as was brewer. i have a ph.d. in educational research and have studies pitching and hitting from a genuine scientific study perspective. some of the information may help you, but you find what works best for you.

one of the problems with baseball is people teach and think some things that really don’t happen. if someone can’t show you on video what they are talking about using a hall of fame player, i would be leary of what they are teaching. always check out someone’s credentials. that is wise. and some guys with great credentials do not stand up to the videotape test. then well meaning folks misunderstand what someone is saying or teach something that is much less than ideal.

anyway. good luck. you seem like a nice kid that genuinely wants to get better. learn to anaylize things and understand them for yourself. relying on someone else is a dangerous situation. your idea about talking to major league veterans who are retired is an excellent approach. sometimes they are happy to help you.

hhhhhh

I didn’t know Xavier got too many 90+ lefties. :smiley:

Im not on here to lie. Just get help but i do throw what I said, not trying to lie.

[quote=“jumpman24”]Im not on here to lie. Just get help but i do throw what I said, not trying to lie.[/quote]It wasn’t to question what you said. :smiley: Just a statement.

haha ok. Just trying find some different sources for help

from a mechanical perspective this thread is pointless without a video to analyze (a real video with a ball). The other stuff being said here is good though, nice posts Dusty.

lanky I had some questions on backwards chaining