Youth Baseball Charting

Coach B.

That’s great. Unfortunately it depicts maybe 1% of youth leagues. :frowning:

Part of what is important, IMO, in youth baseball is learning life lessons, especially about rebounding from adversity.

Kids do want to win. If I saw a kid pitcher who didn’t care whether he struck out the side or got run-ruled in an inning, I’d say that he’s burned out and needs to quit the game for a while.

Some of the most important life lessons that kids can learn through baseball are to deal with failure, to rebound from adversity and never to give up. If losing really doesn’t matter to a child, those lessons won’t be learned.

Of course, the obvious and pervasive problem is adults applying too much pressure on kids. Kids hate to lose, and some are more competitive than others. Adults need to model and teach a positive response to failure. Adults have to be sensitive as well – the most competitive kids will be hard on themselves after failure, so give them encouragement.

Just my $0.02

:baseballbatter:

still have the kids gear?

Sorry coach but I don’t really agree. We just came off a 20-12 loss and everyone got to play. Unfortunately, most got to play in positions that they were uncomfortable with and better players were passed over for pitching and infield potisions in lieu of the coaches favorites.

There is very little fun about that for the boys. Parents and I are cheering to have fun the, coaches are clapping and slapping helmets but there is no chemistry on the team. One boy has thrown a bat in the dugout most of them are waling in with heads held low despite the individual level of play or amount of atta-boys.

They know something is dead in the dugout and it is starting to stink whether you put sprinkles on it or not.

The starting point for that chart needs to be “objective, knowledgeable coach.” Ice cream and 6 outs per game may fool most of the parents but as a coach I am not buying.

Then again, this is a 12 year old all-star team.

Then again, you have failed miserably as adult who has gone the route of taking an ALL-START team on the field that you and your associates were neither prepared for or focused on. I say this because you gave yourself the title COACH.

ALL STAR teams are not fun teams - youth or otherwise. The are strictly formed and coached by men and women who know the meaning of the word COMPETE - not fun. They don’t point to others - like me, and read a definition that is totally out of tempo with the very purpose of their club.

You, men and women like you, are the main reason for youth ball being a crap-shoot as it is today. You start off with patronage accepted by all - blame it on a head coach with claims of favorites, do nothing to bring that to that coaches face front and center in front of all, then kick the nearest thing around you with complaints.

This group of youngsters failed because you failed, add failed totally in your charges, your lack of speaking up when you had the chance and making a difference. Speaking up here - only gives you venting, too much too late and to the wrong people. Day one you should have shut things down and made it point to start day two right. And don’t give me this " it wasn’t my job carp". You took it upon yourself here, you should done it there.

You seem to claim a lot in this knowledgeable area - so, where the hell were you … COACH?

Get out of youth coaching, if you’re in it. Bowl, play the ponies, hit the bars - anything but stop dealing with youth baseball, for the fun of it. Your not good at it. You want to win - look deeper inside yourself.

Coach John Baker
Professional Independent Pitching Coach
Independent Scout/Cross-Checker
Springifled, MA