You're the Coach!

You’ve been askd to step in and sub for your pitching coach. You find a scouting report left on your pitching coach’s desk which has a listing of the other team by their (#) number along with notes of their qualities.

It’s the morning before the game and your in your office trying to put together a potential batting order that might be used against your club. You have no other information or scouting reports to go by .You want to draft an assumed batting order and why - then attend a field coaches meeting that evening and present your assumptions to your skipper. Basically, your head coach wants to hear opinion - from a pitching coach’s standpoint, what to expect. There are no plans to select your pitching staff at this time. Only your evaluation of how you would make a batting order out of these players and why.

So, here is the report - make a batter order and why you would expect any player to bat first, second, third, etc…

SCOUTING REPORT

--------------------- c o n f i d e n t i a l ----------------------------------------
Contact hitter, left-handed batter, pulls the ball sharply on the ground
between second and first, doesn’t reach the fence well but dependable.
Contact hitter, right-handed batter, looks at a lot of pitches, very picky,
has a high percentage looking at third strike.
Power hitter, will swing at anything hittable – strike or not, very aggressive
at the plate, is extremely effective after the third inning.
Power hitter, very dependable for getting on base, knows how to hit
Effectively, will not reach for the fence unless he’s 95% sure he can.
Contact hitter, high percentage of on base hits, less effective at bat after
the sixth inning very fast on the base path, excellent base stealing %.
Contact hitter, very sluggish out of the box after the sixth inning, also
a weak link in the at-bat after the fifth inning.
Power hitter, very moody and temperamental when things are not going
well, gets distracted easy, but when bat’s hot – it’s hot! Slow on the
base path, does not remember base running signs well.
Overall athlete of the team, very dependable at bat, can
reach the fence and get on base at will. Currently be scouted
by the pros, will ignore signs from third base coach and will
hit for himself, has the highest base stealing % in the state.

Coach B.

alright here we go coach…

This is my take…

Starting with the leadoff

#8… According to you he’s the best athlete/ best player, can do it all. There are other players that can hit in the middle of the order with power. This guy will leadoff, an on this team I want him to get as many ab’s as possible.

1. I want this lefty hitting in the two hole. Describes a two hole hitter to a tee. Lefty hitting ground balls through the four hole, perfect. Good contact guy, sounds like he could hit and run, and bunt also. Perfect two hole.

2. Sounds like the guy can hit with runners on base. Sounds like he can hit for a very nice average, but he’s not going to be overly aggressive and will take what the pitcher gives him. Run producer.

3. When his bat’s hot it’s hot! If he’s hot, he’ll hit 4 hole for my team. Sounds like he’s got plenty of power, and can drive in runs. If he’s not hot I’ll swith him with my 5 hitter.

4. Put this guy in the five spot, again another run producer even though he’s ultra aggressive.

5. Ill put this guy in the six hole. Seems like a great fit because he can swing the bat well enough to drive in runs if he needs to. If nobodys on he can set the table with the bottom of the order coming up. Great to have him here as he can steal his way into scoring position so it will only take one hit from the bottom of the order, instead of two. Great spot.

6. I’ll put him here in the seven hole hoping he can work some counts and find a way to get on base.

7. Seems to be the weakest hitter. I’ll try and hide him down here. Don’t want him in the 9 hole, I’d rather have someone able to roll over to the top of the order like a second leadoff man.

8. I’ll put myself here and we’ll assume I have speed and can get on base and roll the lineup over. 9 hole should be able to bunt and work there way on in many ways.

There you go, I think that lineup works well!

Definetly gonna’ have to say:

8: Best athlete, steals bases and knows how to play.
5: Good steal percentage, he may not be a clutch performer but, the man can run and hit very well.
3: He’s aggresive, he can hit in the clutch and has some power.
4: Power, high average, drives in runs, just what we need in the cleanup spot.
7: Produces runs when he is hot, not exactly the most calm guy but, he is in the midle of my lineup anyways.
Me: I am a good contact hitter, not too picky but, I will take a pitch if I need to, average speed and high obp.
2: Too picky to be at the top of the lineup, don’t want backwards Ks at the top.
6: To slow, not a clutch hitter, he’s at the 8 hole in my lineup.
1: Good as a 2nd leadoff hitter, fast, contact, his pickiness makes me reluctant to stick him 1 or 2.

Outstanding posts on this question. But— could I have just two (2) more contributions. After which, I’m going to explain how important the batter order logic is affecting the head coach and his/her pitching coach in using the rotation. And that means YOU and your pitch inventory and what kind of preperation you bring to the table.

Also, because YOU were included in the batter order - or someone like you, you’ll have a good reference to relate to some of the points in my next posts.

I should also mention to some of you that might be considering the highly competitive ranks of college and/or even a smi-pro or pro invitation, don’t be surprised if your asked to chime-in on a question and answer period during the sessions. It’s just as important to select players and prospects that KNOW THE GAME in addition to talent on the field.

Coach B.
ps
Pustulio and Hammer, if your not coaching youth ball you should be. In fact, it’s guys like you that make guys like me invest in a season’s supply of TUMBS AND ROLIAIDS!

1. #5- Makes good contact, high on base%, and he is less effective after the 6th inning, so might as well use him to try and jump out to an early lead.

Comparison: Juan Pierre

1. #8- Overall the best athlete and he can do many different things. Whether he is hitting with nobody on base, moving the leadoff man along, or asked to just slug it, he can do it and frustrate a lot of pitchers in the proccess.

Comparison: Derek Jeter

1. #4- A guy who can hit the longball, but isn’t looking to do it. He’d rather crush line drives to all fields and produce runs then looking for the longball. Very good at many different things and he will work the count.

Comparison: Bobby Abreu

1. #1- He is a contact hitter that pulls it a lot, so having him in a “power” slot is a bit questionable. However, more times then not there will be a runner on second or third and he will be asked to hit the ball on the right side. This is a great slot for this guy to produce runs.

Comparison: Freddy Sanchez

1. #7- He is the man that will mash the ball. Although he can be distracted by things and has a tendency to get into hot/cold funks, he can still mash it. Just have to keep this guy on the right path and hope that he gets hot early and often.

Comparison: Milton Bradley

1. #2- A guy who will work the count. He wont be relied upon to get doubles and homeruns, but he can be relied upon to make the pitchers throw strikes. A result in working the count so well is he will draw quite a few base on balls.

Comparison: Kevin Youkilis

1. Me- This is the slot I love to hit in. I can hit it out, but would much rather hit line drives. Does not strikeout much and will sacrifice myself for an oppurtunity for someone else to help the team.

Comparison: Derek Lee

1. #3- A guy who can hit for power at the bottom of the order. There won’t be a ton of RBI chances, so it could be very beneficial to have a slugger at the bottom. Puts pressure on the pitcher even when he thinks the weaker part of the lineup is coming up.

Comparison: Adam Dunn

1. #6- He is sluggish out of the box after the sixth and he is probably the least talented batter. He makes contact so he can contributed to the small ball aspect of the game. Hitting in the nine slot will allow him to work hard and prove himself to move up in the ranks.

Comparison: Jose Vidro

1. #8. Has to be, best athlete, fast

2. #2. Makes the pitcher work in the 2 spot, gives leadoff guy stealing opps.

3. #4. Dependable hitter w/power is a big bonus, doesn’t overswing, good #3

4. #3. May not have the best eye, but in the cleanup spot i like his power, gets better as game goes on

5. #7. Gives me alot of pop for the 5 hole

6. #1. Good contact spot for him. Gives me good average where i need it after my sluggers.

7. I’ll put my self here. It helps the rest of my lineup flow well.

8. #6. Seems like a decent player, but his weaknesses leave me not wanting him to hit as my 2nd leadoff man.

9. #5. Speedy, great canidate for my 2nd leadoff, hits here b/c he may fade later in the game.

[quote=“Coach Baker”]

Coach B.
ps
Pustulio and Hammer, if your not coaching youth ball you should be. In fact, it’s guys like you that make guys like me invest in a season’s supply of TUMBS AND ROLIAIDS![/quote]

I’m only 15, I’m can’t really coach youth ball.

Just wanted to try this. When I make a line-up I don’t want the bottom to be a weak link, in fact I make two line-ups. The first 4 batters are their own seperate line-up while the last 4 our their own. The 5th batter is a part of both line-ups. They each are capable of doing just as well as the other part of the line-up.

#2.) Lead hitter. In my lead off spot I want to make this pitcher come in and throw strikesright away. I also want my team to get some good looks as to who this pitcher is and how he pitches.

#6.) Need to hit before he gets tired. When he does get tired, Sacrifice Bunts can come into play, hit and runs, and situations where he just needs to move the runner over.

#8.) Best player. Score the batters in font of him and pick up #6’s tiredness later on. Very quick so stealing bases and scoring should be easy for him so he gets both, RBI and Runs Scored.

#5.) Very fast. Normally you have a very powerful hitter here but instead of highpower I like high on base percentage. He can score the very fast #8 and get on himself and steal a base or two and try a bunt for a hit. Use his speed and use his on-base percentage to your advantage.

#4.) We need someone capable of driving in #5 or #8 (or both), knows how to hit, will get the job done. (Also is like my second lead-off hitter for the start of my “Second Line-up” so he can getthe line-up to start moving again)

#1.) Looks great for moving over #4 and is dependable so he coud get on base and help start the scoring process all over again.

#3.) Very aggressive. I like that in the bottom of the line-up, why? Early on the other kid’s let him see the pitcher pitch and he know’s whats coming. If he is so agressive than at least let him go up there swinging at stuff he can predict. Also get him in after the third so he starts to do even better.

#7.) He’s the clean-up of the bottom of the order. He will hopefully hit in the kid’s that are on in front of him and when he changes his attitude maybe he’ll be switched with someone from the top to get in some more at bats.

Me.) I’m at the bottom of this line-up and I have some decent speed (base stealing) and more contact than power. Hopefully I can get on to help make the switch from bottom to top of the line-up and possible drive in #7 or move him over.

Well that’s my line-up hope you like it.

There are so many ways to put together a lineup, it makes one want to tear his or her hair out by the roots. All this reminds me of a story about a major league manager who was faced with this situation and didn’t know what to do, so he went home that evening and told his wife to make out the batting order herself. She sat down and came up with a lineup that was so “out of it”, so far out in space, that no one could possibly have thought of it. She gave it to her husband who took it to the ballpark the next day and presented it to the plate umpire.
That manager’s team won in a rout, 23-2. Go figure. :lol: