Your take on the term "fast arm"

i am perplaxed in understating what exactly a “live” or “fast arm” is caused by, ive had some pitching instructors say that its the result of fast twitch muscles.

(this to me says that only people born with fast twitch muscle fibers will throw hard.)

ive had other people say though is the result of a efficient delivery with nothing in the deliverly working againest one another, thus, allowing the arm to come through at optimal velocity.

whats your take?

I’m no biomechanical expert but I’d lean heavily toward genetics as the most infuential factor…and then an efficient delivery is the vehicle which maximizes your potential, whatever that happens to be.

No way … I couldn’t beat the “World’s Fastest Man” Usaine Bolt in a sprint, but I can throw harder than him. And Usaine Bolt has more “fast twitch” muscle fibers than most people, right? It’s how to train and your mechanics, like Dino said. Don’t be focused on what you don’t have (like fast twitch this or that). Instead, focus on what you can do to maximize what you do have!

I agree, fast twitch fibers or fast arms doesn’t necessarily facilitate velocity. There are many kids that I have coached that had very slow arms, but through mechanics generate high velocity. We all have differing views of what exactly constitutes the perfect pitching motion, yet many of us can coach kids to reaching 90 mph or more. I am guessing this last part, but it seems very reasonable giving the feedback generated on the site.

It all has to do with mechanics, and with something I learned long ago as a kid. I used to go to the original Yankee Stadium every chance I got, and I watched the pitchers and saw what they did. The Yankees’ Big Three rotation all did the same thing—they were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso to generate the power behind their pitches, and the arms and shoulders all seemed to be just going along for the ride. This took a lot of pressure off them, and it didn’t matter who had a “fast” arm or a “slow” arm; they all released the ball with very little effort and, particularly in the case of Allie Reynolds, at seemingly top speed (he had been clocked a number of times at 100MPH or better). If you get your whole body into action, it will seem to you as if regardless of how fast or how slow you think your arm is you will attain top speed on your pitches. 8)