Your height, weight, and velocity

I’m looking into the effect on velocity by height and weight. I figured this would be a good place due to the extensiveness of the pitchers here.

To start, I’m 6’1, 155 and throw 81.

Just add height, weight, and velocity. As many of you who can help out the better!

there is a general positive correlation, but it is not a cause and effect relationship. To throw hard you must do a lot more than just be tall and strong, and making up for what you lack in size or strength can be done with more efficient mechanics.

That being said, if all else is equal, the guy with longer levers and more strength will generally throw harder. Examples of 6’7" pitchers throwing 90+ are much more plentiful than 5’7" pitchers throwing 90+, though both happen.

If you’re worried about yourself, find a mlb pitcher with comparable mechanics and body type and figure out why/how they throw 10+ mph harder than you. Sometimes it comes down to strength, sometimes genetics play a role and most of the time it’s a mechanical difference that may seem insignificant but probably accounts in large part for their ability to throw so much harder. Subtle changes for me, on video, may often FEEL like enormous changes and produce extremely significant results.

In short, worry less about other people, unless those people are big leaguers with similar mechanics/body type. Then figure out what they did to get there

Well said lanky

I haven’t clocked myself in awhile and I just went back to pitching so I won’t state mine but for what Lanky said.

Yeah, weight and height don’t always translate to throwing harder. For example, Manny Banuelos, prospect of the Yankee’s, is listed as 5’11 but people say he’s shorter and he weighs 155. He can throw up to 97 plus he’s a lefty.

You also have guys like Tim Collins but he gained a lot of weight which bumped his velocity like 15+ mph after College thanks to Eric Cressey’s program. He’s really like 5’5 throwing 94ish. Also a lefty.

It all comes down to mechanics and leg strength.

im 16 years old
6’1, 185 lbs
81 off mound
87 turn and burn

I know that mechanics can affect it, however, I feel that the pool of pitchers we have on this site have good enough mechanics that height and weight can be used to try to find a correlation.

Even if mechanics are solid there are other more undefinable factors besides for height and weight that seriously impact a pitchers velocity. Muscle mass, foot speed, ability to turn the trunk with speed, a particular physics that a pitcher has etc.

My son is about 5’ 9" or 5’10", 159 lbs on a good day, 15 yr old, freshman. Hasn’t really hit any weight training program or solid cardio program yet. He has topped out probably around 78mph. I’m not sure where he is today, so rarely does he end up pitching with a radar gun, maybe 1x a year if that. Last time I saw him on a gun was at least 18 months ago and he was around 75 and he throws much harder today with those heights and weights.

Don’t get caught up in height and weight being the only factors to velocity, there isn’t a magic number to try and be at.

FWIW my son is 5’11" and a buck 40 on a good day and throws a legit 76, at the end of the day I don’t care what he throws as long as he changes speeds and locates. Mech. are key as are projection age and genetics. I wish more would focus on proper throwing mechanics than the mph. I am so tired of parents telling me there kids throws whatever b/c it’s generally inflated by 5-7 mph and they have little ability to understand how to pitch.

15 yr. old Freshman, 6’2", 170 lbs, throws 83-84.

13 years old- 6’3", 203lbs. and about 73-76 depending on the day

6’, 190 lbs, 81-83mph

5 9 1/2 185

87-90

had a stretch at the end of the year last season where i was 88-91 topped 93.

I believe this season i will be throwing my hardest. Had a great offseason and made remarkable gains in quickness, explosion, and strength that was complimented with a good diet.

Geez - there are some monsters out there!

My son is a 14 yr-old freshman - a lanky 5’9", 125 lbs. Throws 74 mph. This fall he’ll hit the weight room for the first time - hopefully will gain some muscle!

If he follows his old man’s path, he’ll be 6’2" by the time he graduates.

I am 6’6" 235lbs, but my velo is anyone’s guess. Anyone with a Stalker want to come gun a dude?

I will make sure not to say that again.

[quote=“kylejamers”]I am 6’6" 235lbs, but my velo is anyone’s guess. Anyone with a Stalker want to come gun a dude?

I will make sure not to say that again.[/quote]

Sure. Just make your way to Seattle. :stuck_out_tongue:

Stuff like this truely is interesting. Huskie18, you definitely have some plus velocity, you should post a video some time, not often we get to see 90 outside of a professional game. A good example I think of what I’ve been trying to find with this thread is some one like Dylan Bundy (if you haven’t heard of him, you will) he’s 6’1 like me, but throws 94-96 and has touched 100. He’s 200 pounds however, I’m 155 soaking wet.

I think a big velocity booster that some people (myself included) may forget about is muscle mass. For a while I believed it was all about mechanics*. People would say, “look at lincecum, 5’10 throwing 100”, but one thing you forget is he’s around 180 pounds. That is extremely solid for 5’10. Mass is directly related to force, f=ma. So if you can increase mass and have solid acceleration with it, you can gain some good velo. I also read that Verlander was 175 out of highschool throwing 92, up to 200 his freshman year, throwing 99.

So the weight room and leg mass and muscle and mechanics… its all good stuff, so when i started the thread it wasn’t necessarily to prove that weight had an effect but maybe to see if it did. The thing is, it needs to be muscle, and not chocolate bars :wink:

*Trust me, I know, mechanics are extremely important. :lol:

I just posted a video in the pitching mechanics video forum.

Here is a picture of me currently at 185

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/488352_317164478338726_100001355295303_791062_1707680491_n.jpg

Ive worked real hard to get to this point, i was chubby in high school up until my sophmore year of college I started to get serious and have made great strides especially the past 2 seasons.

I love this topic! Height matters to get more leverage but more importantly there is such thing as perceived pitching velocity. That is when a pitcher released the ball closer to the plate at 60 mph it appears faster to the batter than a pitcher who throws 60 mph two feet further away from the plate at release.

Lincecum lost 20lbs during the off-season. It did not effect his velocity at all. The last two years he is throwing slower, but that has nothing to do with his weight. I will tell you, if its’ the right weight and you muscles match your flexiblity you will increase some, however, its’ your ability to be flexible, relaxed when you pitch and have more momentum to foot strike.

Hip rotation also has a lot to do with getting the most velocity out of your body. Most L.L. and high school pitchers don’t know what complete hip rotation looks like, let alone knowing what it “feels like.”

[quote=“kyleb”]

Sure. Just make your way to Seattle. :p[/quote]

I am nervous about the result - I don’t want to be under 90.

If you are afraid of constant measurement and improvement, you never will achieve your goals. You have to master that.

Everyone threw 75 MPH before they threw 90.