Year Round Throwing

There’s a discussion on another topic that got around to year round throwing. Although the subject - year round throwing, wasn’t part of the original title for the posting, it did generate some dicey exchanges with quotes being tossed back and forth from some pretty impressive sources.

This has been my experiences on the subject of year round pitching and throwing. For starters, I assume we’re discussing the professional ranks and not amateurs. I say this because of the professional advice and comments quoted by various posters from the topic that I just visited. So, here’s my take:

1. Professional pitchers that I’ve have experience with are as individual as they come. They’ll do what the want, when and how no matter who tells them to do elsewise. Basically, these people are about as dumb as a fencepost and do they’ll do the darnedest things in the offseason, like - snowmobile and get clotheslined by wire fencing, kicked in the cojones by a mule trying to impress a girlfriend, hang glide into barns, weeping willows and even hang upside down for hours all tangled up on a light pole. I even had one guy donate his time to a carnival by sitting on a stool over a dunking pool. Hit the target and the guy goes for a swim, The guy gets beaned in the left eye - out for the season. So, unless there is a specific place in his contract that says … don’t, they will.
    The result of any of this finds our bright light tossing and pitching like every waking moment trying to get back in the swing of things. Which by the way is a stretch.
  2. Some play ball year round in various leagues, here and south of the boarder. Money and contacts are the driving force here - not rest and recoup. I’ve warned some about doing this, only to fall on deaf ears. Bills must be paid, and that ole standby … “maybe somebody, anybody, will see me and I’ll get that shot to the next level.” These guys are serious workaholics, and nothing will change that.
  3. Another issue that often overlooked is a lack of self confidence. Constantly testing the waters for self impressions of accomplishments, again and again drive these guys. These kind of drives are not only dangerous, but in the short run, they’re career enders.

Now all this being said, for the amateur regardless of the level of competition year round pitching, not just tossing the ball around, can be problematic. With the youth leagues, overuse and playing with two or more clubs simultaneously can have, and will, ultimately lead to health issues down the road. A youngster is still growing, developing muscles and supporting tissue has to have time off from the demands of pitching. Coaching that’s short on proper health and maintenance, player immaturity, and that ever drive to win, win, win, is a mix that just begs for injury.

I recommend taking a break in the offseason, relax, goof-off, give the body a chance to come off that tuning-fork mentality. Heck, in just a few short months, we’ll be back at it again.

Besides, for the amateur, the offseason usually grabs hold with social responsibilities, school, family commitments, personal relationships (now there’s a learning curve that bites), part time jobs, and so forth.

I agree completely with not throwing all year long. the way that I like to think about it is imagining your arm is a car. The more mileage a car has on it the better chance it has of needing repairs or breaking down. The same goes with your arm, the more throwing the greater change of damaging it.

A popular argument is that if you don’t throw your muscles/velocity will decrease which is where strength training comes in. You can train the muscles needed to pitch with to maintain or increase your level of strength without causing the strain that throwing will put on your arm. The offseason is a great chance to build strength and train like an elite athlete, while letting that “car” sit in the garage and not depreciate.

Look what I stumbled upon . . . :slight_smile:

Youth pitchers should limit themselves to 100 inning of pitching per year. They also need at least a 4 month continuous rest for thier arm.

These are guidelines from MLB’s pitch smart program.

Until a players growth plates are fused any overuse can make a pitcher susceptible to cracked growth plates.

Not just the 100 innings. I have a child currently going through that very situation…to the point we put a hard cast on it. He didn’t come close to the 100 innings. The problem with the pitch smart program is, there is no one-size-fits-all scenario.

Major League Baseball’s Pitch Smart guidelines are NOT “one-size-fits-all”. Rather, they are broken down by age: Ages 8 & Under; Ages 9-12; Ages 13-14; Ages 15-18; and Ages 19-22. They are a “problem” only to those who advocate year round throwing and don’t want to hear that what they have been advocating (and making $$$ off) has been unanimously determined by the expert medical community to increase the risk of injury. Saying “no-one-size-fits-all” is the same lame thing smokers say about smoking. After all, some smokers live long lives smoking daily, so “no-one-size-fits-all-smokers” - but that doesn’t change the statistical fact that smoking daily increases the risk of cancer and early death.

I believe what Bx2 was referring to was in the context of being more specific to a tailor environment to each youngster, regardless of age, grouping, and so forth. Now I could be misreading the overall gist of Bx2’s posting, but, that’s what I came away form the remarks.

I use to visit some youth games and I’ve seen kids toss a dozen or so- done, can’t do any more, park it. On the other hand, others have well exceeded any kind of guide line and were like hard core.

I’ll be honest up front here and say that I have no fell for the youth game, but I read, watch and listen to those that I trust to get the sense that kids can be an if-ee lot when it comes to athletics. The MLB has really stepped up its game for advising kids and those that support youth baseball. Now if only everyone would listen.

Here’s what I mean. The medical community is really good at telling you when you ARE ALREADY INJURED. That’s it!!! They know nothing about prevention. The baseball gurus know a heck of a lot more concerning correct mechanics and such. I had multiple kids throw more pitches and innings than mine. Mine also threw a lot harder. I had him do a bunch of prehab exercises to protect his elbow. You can’t however, perform exercises to protect a growth plate. The other point is, people like Nolan Ryan, John Smoltz, and countless others say to throw more often. They still believe in shutting it down but they say do more work at less the maximum workload. Somewhere in the middle is the answer. I have major reconstructive and currently (for the last 20 years) have a torn rotator cuff. I swore my kid would never get injured but at the end of the day, as a coach and dad, all we can do is look for fatigue and poor mechanics. Listen to the kid. That’s it. Would you prefer your kid to throw one game on a Saturday with 65 pitches or for him to throw 35 on Saturday and 35 on Sunday? I will take the 65 in one day anytime. We are all learning but there is so much the medical community doesn’t know. They can’t determine why they can’t replicate a UCL tear on cadavers. They have no idea. Again, somewhere in the middle is the answer. In conclusion, the pitch smart program is a one-size-fits-all program for every child in the age range of 9-12 year old and so on. It doesn’t take into account velocity which increases the chance of injury by 70% in some calculations. It doesn’t take into account size, mechanics, workload, nor the shape the kid is in. So many variables go into this topic. Another part is, what about a kid that stops baseball and goes straight into playing quarterback in football? I haven’t seen any information on the topic. Part of me thinks that might be to blame with my own child’s injury. Throwing a football involves at least a little supination, which is concerning after a long baseball season. I don’t know nearly what I intend to learn but every day I’m getting closer. Hopefully we all can learn from one another. After all, in one way or another, we are all trying to help kids get better and stay safe at the same time.

I stopped reading right there. Thanks for putting that nonsense at the top of your comment so I didn’t have to read the rest. LMAO

You clearly have no idea what you’re doing then. Good luck with that bro. Keep looking on from the sidelines.

Let’s stick to the issues and not make things personal. This is an important topic and there is good discussion to be had. Clearly, the medical community and the coaching community stand to learn from each other and that interaction should be increased.