Year Round Throwing Program?

I was just curious what the thoughts were on a year round THROWING program, not pitching. I’m a college pitcher and I got around 50-60 innings this year.
I’ve been doing a lot of reading of different throwing programs. This past year I threw in fall ball, and then I took about a month and a half off, and started throwing again around Thanksgiving. I’m from the north, so unfortunetly I can’t be on a field playing long toss during the winter anyways, however there are facilities where I can train. I was just curious what the thoughts were about not taking time off this year and working mechanics and throwing within 90 ft.
Thanks

Also I was looking to get into some kind of weighted ball program. I have heard both ways about this as well… I’ve heard it ruins your elbow and I’ve also heard it can help with arm strength. I would like to think that my arm could be stronger and quicker. What are the thoughts on the weighted ball program during the offseason as well??

I think weighted balls can be excellent. Before you start I would recommend long tossing, arm circles, and tubing/wrist weights for 6-8 weeks.

When doing the program, I wouldn’t do any pitching. Get loose, long toss, and then throw 10-20 feet into a net with the overload under load balls.

I would also recommend a radar gun to be used to have instant feedback.

[quote=“JimmyK”]I think weighted balls can be excellent. Before you start I would recommend long tossing, arm circles, and tubing/wrist weights for 6-8 weeks.

When doing the program, I wouldn’t do any pitching. Get loose, long toss, and then throw 10-20 feet into a net with the overload under load balls.

I would also recommend a radar gun to be used to have instant feedback.[/quote]

Yep. Pretty much.

[quote=“JimmyK”]I think weighted balls can be excellent. Before you start I would recommend long tossing, arm circles, and tubing/wrist weights for 6-8 weeks.

I would also recommend a radar gun to be used to have instant feedback.[/quote]

How many days a week do you throw weighted balls?

We just purchased a set of the TAP balls.

Guys who are fully on-ramped in our program throw TAP balls every day of the week. (Seven days a week, not just “workout days.”)

The stitched weighted baseballs that are closer to 5 oz are thrown 3-4 times a week for fully on-ramped guys.

New clients throw a mixture of 2-3 days per week and slowly progress from there.

We are going to spend a lot of time working with weighted balls this fall and off-season as well as lifting.

I am curious to see how these change his arm action as works with the heavy balls.

Can you visit Dan Blewett in Bloomington? I think that could be very helpful:

We worked with Dan last year, he provided my son a workout and throwing program.

He is a good guy and we did learn a alot from him. The only trouble is the 2 hour drive to get there.

Where is Dan out of? I visited his site and it didn’t look like he had an address anywhere. Also I did seethe throwing program was up over $500? I probably wouldn’t be able to work with him anyways. I was just curious whether it would be more beneficial to start building arm strength and working on my mechanics during the winter as apposed to taking time off and resting my arm.

I mentioned Dan to the other poster since he was from Illinois. (I am in Seattle, not particularly close to the Midwest.)

Everyone is different but most of our non-pros are not taking much time off, if any at all. Most take 4-8 weeks off throwing from the mound, though.