xFIP vs. ERA

What do you guys think about xFIP? Personally, I’ll still take ERA over xFIP. All those sabermetric people say xFIP is so much better at telling how someone has pitched. BUT,

AJ Burnett has a 3.04 xFIP. That tells us he’s actually pitching quite well! But we’ve seen him pitch and he hasn’t pitched that well.

xFIP just doesn’t seem like a good one. I’d say line drive percentage, the less solid contact you give up, the better you are at missing bats.

what is xFIP?

Doesn’t xFIP normalize HRs based on the number of outfield fly balls a team’s pitching staff gives up?

Well I messed up on the formula! I’m not 100 percent sure on the xFIP formula but I do know the FIP formula and his FIP is still 4.41 which is still about one run lower than his ERA but still, I don’t really feel that he’s pitched that well, I’m sure anyone who’s seen him pitch this year would agree with that. :wink:

Doesn’t xFIP normalize HRs based on the number of outfield fly balls a team’s pitching staff gives up? That’s why I chose it over FIP for the comparison.