Wut do all hard throwers have in common with their mechanics

wut is the one or two things (if any) that all hard throwers have in common

Most of them have solid mechanics and a strong lower half, or at least use their lower half very well.

They rotate their hips well before their shoulders.

when are your hips supposed to start rotating?

As late as possible during the stride. That’s why you stride sideways to the target rather than facing it.

However, this happens almost automatically.

The key thing is that you hold your shoulders back; that you keep them from turning until your glove-side foot plants on the ground.

Funny you should say that Chris i was watching Brad Penny in the all star game and rather and look right at home plate he stared right into the third base dugout, i wonder if thats his way of keeping his shoulders from rotating so soon. Also thanks for clarifying about rotating the shoulders.

[quote=“alanshadow22”]… he stared right into the third base dugout, i wonder if thats his way of keeping his shoulders from rotating so soon.[/quote]Nope. It’s just style. Not having seen him pitch, I don’t know at what point he finally decides to look at the target but I’m willing to bet it’s not long after he begins his stride. Given that the head is mounted on a swivel base that can move at least 180 deg. or close to it, having it oriented at 90 deg. to the target will have absolutely no effect on the shoulders.

THanks DM i just saw that last night and it was fresh in my mind. You’re right.