Wrist hooking

my son is a kinda thin (just 19 a month ago) LHP - 6’2" hits 88-89 at the top but mostly 84-87. he wrist hooks - and that effects his location (i believe) and i am wondreing if anyone knows of a link to wrist hooking and injury? - he blows me off when i bring this up… he will be a sophmore in the fall at a sort of low level d-1 program.
thanks

When in his motion does he hook his wrist? Are you fearing injury to the wrist? Or another part of the arm? Never heard of a pitching injury to the wrist before.

Wrist hooking can lead to too much tension in the wrist, therefore not imparting maximal spin on a fastball or overthrowing low in the zone.

[quote=“biv23”]my son is a kinda thin (just 19 a month ago) LHP - 6’2" hits 88-89 at the top but mostly 84-87. he wrist hooks - and that effects his location (i believe) and i am wondreing if anyone knows of a link to wrist hooking and injury? - he blows me off when i bring this up… he will be a sophmore in the fall at a sort of low level d-1 program.
thanks[/quote]

Many great pitchers hooked their wrists (Don Sutton, Barry Zito, and Rick Suttcliffe off the top of my head). Anyone telling you this will lead to injury or control problems is not qualified to be working with your son IMO.

Hey I’m not sure about this, but i use to hook like crazy and now that i don’t i can say that it has helped my elbow. I’ve torn my ocl a little bit, aka micro tears, (tommy johns). This was when I was in college my senior year half way though the season. To finish out the season I had to rest and change my mechanics and one change was to stop hooking. But ever time i would hook I started to notice that my wrist muscles (mainly around my elbow) would tensing up, then relaxing and then tensing back up right before release. So I feel it was like I was doing double the work of a normal throw. Now I’m not saying that hooking will tear your ocl, b/c for one everybody is different, two others do it still, and three I feel my injury was due to other problems. All i can say is I’ve noticed a difference when I stopped. Personally I don’t think that hooking will lead to injury, but I do think it does put more stress on your arm in the long run.