Worst Mechanics

Now who do you guys think has the worst mechanics in the mlb?

B.J. Ryan

Mark Prior
Anthony Reyes
BJ Ryan
Chris Carpenter
Kerry Wood
Francisco Liriano
Billy Wagner
Joel Zumaya
Aaron Heilman
Jeremy Bonderman
Adam Wainwright

mark prior

[quote]
Mark Prior
Anthony Reyes
BJ Ryan
Chris Carpenter
Kerry Wood
Francisco Liriano
Billy Wagner
Joel Zumaya
Aaron Heilman
Jeremy Bonderman
Adam Wainwright[/quote]

agree on all

LOL no wonder BJ Ryan had to have Tommy John surgery!

I think it’s funny that Mark Prior is on everybody’s list… when just a few years ago when he was healthy with electric stuff, lost of people were praising him as to having the “best” mechanics…

Big leaguers who stay healthy and get hitters out are doing something right.

Mark Prior
Anthony Reyes
BJ Ryan
Chris Carpenter
Kerry Wood
Francisco Liriano
Billy Wagner
Joel Zumaya
Aaron Heilman
Jeremy Bonderman
Adam Wainwright[/quote]

It’s not that I’m suprised at the list because these are the guys that you typically point out as examples, and I would agree with some of them. XV84 gave a good case for BJ Ryan. I never was a fan of Liriano’s delivery. Your choice of Carpenter is one that gets me. Sure the guy had Tommy John, but other than his Inverted L which IMO isn’t very severe, he has very solid mechanics. john smoltz (i’m not saying i think he has bad mechanics) has an inverted w and blew out his elbow, yet he is not on your list. wagner and zumaya do a tremendous job of building momentum. just because they have an inverted w doesn’t mean they have the worst mechs in the mlb. what about jake peavy? sure he’s got dirty stuff, but he stands straight up and has a serious recoil in his follow through. and i believe he would be in your inverted L club.

i actually like a lot of the stuff that you talk about and think you may be on to something with the inverted w and l. it’s just that there is so much more to mechanics than arm action. i know that you talk about timing and such but i personally don’t think that some of the guys on your list deserve to be on the worst mechs in the mlb list!

[quote=“throwinched”]
It’s not that I’m suprised at the list because these are the guys that you typically point out as examples, and I would agree with some of them. XV84 gave a good case for BJ Ryan. I never was a fan of Liriano’s delivery. Your choice of Carpenter is one that gets me. Sure the guy had Tommy John, but other than his Inverted L which IMO isn’t very severe, he has very solid mechanics. john smoltz (i’m not saying i think he has bad mechanics) has an inverted w and blew out his elbow, yet he is not on your list. wagner and zumaya do a tremendous job of building momentum. just because they have an inverted w doesn’t mean they have the worst mechs in the mlb. what about jake peavy? sure he’s got dirty stuff, but he stands straight up and has a serious recoil in his follow through. and i believe he would be in your inverted L club.

i actually like a lot of the stuff that you talk about and think you may be on to something with the inverted w and l. it’s just that there is so much more to mechanics than arm action. i know that you talk about timing and such but i personally don’t think that some of the guys on your list deserve to be on the worst mechs in the mlb list![/quote]

I think that a lot of the guys on the list are definately messed up but im wondering about Carpenter as well, sure he isnt the most perfect guy around the Inverted L for example…but he still is sound.

Completely off topic, I was wondering who you guys think is the most entertaining pitcher (windup wise) to watch. I personally love to watch Pat Neshek’s delivery and release.

I’m not familiar with Neshek but his delivery is interesting. He starts to bend over like he’s going to throw submarine and then he pops up and throws side-arm.

here is another one

Harvey Schlemkowitz- He couldn’t make it out of t-ball TJ at 9, selling shoes for a living in Debuque Iowa

Wildman Billy Snotpicker- Ruined his shoulder with his now infamous super rolling hook shot pitch…Complete shoulder blow out at 8 1/2 Joined a Jesuit Monastary in shame

Ernie “Whatthehell” Snodgrass- dislocated his thorax in a “trick pitch” situation…10 yrs old…Hides in his uncles closet and worries about aliens.

All you guys listed fellas that made it to the major leagues…many for multiple years and with many awards and large fortunes…I think their mechanics may have been good enough…I’d trade my left … to be anyone of em.
By worse mechanics what is the delineator? Failure? Injury? A combination? Internet derision? W/L? ERA?
I know the op asks about major league…but it just sticks in my craw, MAJOR LEAGUER…thats tall cotton brother…words like good or bad in relation to any aspect of how they got there is measured against what? how many place marks to the right? .0000000001% or greater get there…Win the lotto, odds are better, before you are a MAJOR LEAGUER and then how many more before you are a pitcher .00000000000000000001% chance of being a MAJOR LEAGUE pitcher? I’d say, like it or not the very “worst” mechanics mentioned are so much better than everyone NOT a MAJOR LEAGUER as to render the op truely unanswerable.

[quote]Harvey Schlemkowitz- He couldn’t make it out of t-ball TJ at 9, selling shoes for a living in Debuque Iowa

Wildman Billy Snotpicker- Ruined his shoulder with his now infamous super rolling hook shot pitch…Complete shoulder blow out at 8 1/2 Joined a Jesuit Monastary in shame

Ernie “Whatthehell” Snodgrass- dislocated his thorax in a “trick pitch” situation…10 yrs old…Hides in his uncles closet and worries about aliens.

All you guys listed fellas that made it to the major leagues…many for multiple years and with many awards and large fortunes…I think their mechanics may have been good enough…I’d trade my left … to be anyone of em.
By worse mechanics what is the delineator? Failure? Injury? A combination? Internet derision? W/L? ERA?
I know the op asks about major league…but it just sticks in my craw, MAJOR LEAGUER…thats tall cotton brother…words like good or bad in relation to any aspect of how they got there is measured against what? how many place marks to the right? .0000000001% or greater get there…Win the lotto, odds are better, before you are a MAJOR LEAGUER and then how many more before you are a pitcher .00000000000000000001% chance of being a MAJOR LEAGUE pitcher? I’d say, like it or not the very “worst” mechanics mentioned are so much better than everyone NOT a MAJOR LEAGUER as to render the op truely unanswerable.[/quote]

totally agree, they made it to the majors so they must have talent.

[quote=“timmyg123”][quote]Harvey Schlemkowitz- He couldn’t make it out of t-ball TJ at 9, selling shoes for a living in Debuque Iowa

I know the op asks about major league…but it just sticks in my craw, MAJOR LEAGUER…thats tall cotton brother…words like good or bad in relation to any aspect of how they got there is measured against what? how many place marks to the right? .0000000001% or greater get there…Win the lotto, odds are better, before you are a MAJOR LEAGUER and then how many more before you are a pitcher .00000000000000000001% chance of being a MAJOR LEAGUE pitcher? I’d say, like it or not the very “worst” mechanics mentioned are so much better than everyone NOT a MAJOR LEAGUER as to render the op truely unanswerable.[/quote]

totally agree, they made it to the majors so they must have talent.[/quote]

The question was who has the worst mechanics. I realize that they have talent, but compared to other major leaguers who has the worse mechanics?