World Series perspective of an impartial fan

This year’s World Series was great. From Texas’ comeback being down 2-1, to the Cardinals comeback in game 6. I live in Pennsylvania, I’m a Braves fan, I was 100 % impartial in this World Series. I’ve heard people talk before about being impartial in a series but I never thought you could not have a preference. Until this year.

These two teams put up a series that not only a Texas fan, or a St. Louis fan would enjoy, but a series that a baseball fan would enjoy. This was a great series and everything I wished for at the beginning of it.

Congradulations to the St. Louis Cardinals! World Series Champs!

It was nice to be able to watch a World Series without having to agonize over one team or the other. I spent a good deal of the time watching the pitchers and seeing what kind of stuff they had, how they were doing with regard to control and command—and I suddenly flashed back to the 1951 World Series.
I remembered how the Yankees were behind in the series 2-1, and the day they were supposed to play the fourth game it rained and rained and rained and the game had to be postponed/ It was a break for the Yankees. because it gave Allie Reynolds an extra day’s rest and so he was able to pitch on his regular schedule. We all know what happened; the Yankees took the next three games and the Series. Something similar happened with this Series; the rainout forced the postponement of Game Six, and not only the Cards win that game but also it enabled Chris Carpenter to pitch Game Seven: he pitched into the seventh inning and ended up with the win.
A great Series indeed. 8)

Well I’m not impartial :x
I hate the Cards…I’m a Cub fan…but I have to agree, it was a terrific series and great baseball was had…
I laughed out loud when some “intelligent” sports writer just totally did a hack piece on Albert when he messed up that relay and didn’t stay around to take the heat in the clubhouse…then the next game makes history with an unreal display of (stupidity on the part of the Rangers for pitching to him) power by one of the greatest hitters the game will ever see. Of course that writer did not have another by-line for the rest of the series… :lol:

Oh…poor jdfromfla.
Perhaps the Rangers had no choice in that situation. They had to pitch to Albert Pujols. I know, the usual procedure would be to issue an intentional pass—but when the next batter is just as much of a powerhouse, if not more, what are you going to do? You’ve already jumped from the frying pan into the fire by loading the bases. So what did the Rangers do? They went to their bullpen—again—instead of just going out to the mound and telling the pitcher that here was a situation where he had to really bear down, pit his strength against the batter’s strength.
I faced situations like that in my playing days, especially when I had to come into the game in relief. I will never forget the first occasion I had to try out my newly acquired slider. Situation: top of the seventh inning, the opposing team had the bases loaded and only one out, our lead had been cut to 6-4, and our starting pitcher was forced to leave the game because of a nasty blister on his pitching hand. So I came into the game, took the ball, told the guy that I would get out of this jam, and faced a pinch-hitter who would stay in the game and play second base. I signaled to the catcher to call for just that slider—I wanted to see how it would work. I got the batter on three of them, and what was funny was that that pinch-hitter never moved—he just stood there with the bat on his shoulder and went “duh” with the stupidest expression on his face. The next batter was the opposing team’s leadoff man who would go after the first pitch no matter what it was or where it was. Well, I got him on four pitches, the last one being a crossfire slider, and that guy swung so hard he lost his balance and fell over on his tush with his arms and legs up in the air like some overturned bug. Side retired, and we got out of the inning.
My guess is that the Rangers need to pay more attention to what we call strategic pitching. Some may call it stupidity, and they may have a point—I would call it just plain being unprepared. If they got out of that tight spot they were lucky. 8) :baseballpitcher: .

Solace from a Yankee fan :roll: :wink:
You see being a Cub fan is…well…it’s simply a lifes perspective…disappointment is our life, as a Yankee fan you certainly can’t come to terms with it…now combine that with my heritage, which is Polish and well, we know we’re gonna get clobbered (Last time the Cubs were in the World Series, Poland had just been occupied for the previous 5 years by Crazy Adolf and the “Goose-steppers” and then they get “liberated” :shock: by Pock-Faced Joey and the “Gulag guys”) so we sit around with these crazy smiles on our faces waiting for the axe to fall, so to speak…I’m figuring it’s going to be 2012…the stinkin Aztec calander runs out…Cubs win! World Ends… :shock: :speechless: :shocking:
So it’s not that I’m disappointed…more than certain that the world is still ruled by “certain laws”.

…non sequitur…

For those who never took latin or were particularly weak in vocabulary;

(nŏn sĕk’wĭ-tər, -tʊr’)
n.
1.An inference or conclusion that does not follow from the premises or evidence.
2.A statement that does not follow logically from what preceded it.

Now Zita…it certainly is in keeping with the OP 8)
Of course it isn’t logical :lol:
But like I said…how can a Yankee fan understand disappointment?