Workout Schedule

Ok i know which excercise to do already, but i want to know how many excercise a day should i do, and which kind of excercise should i mix, for example biceps and shoulders excercise one day, or leg and shoulder another. So i need suggestion thanks.

ok GO BUY TUFF CUFF it tells you everything to do for everyday in the year depending on what season it is. Example {inseason or offseason}

So you will challenge your self every day the SAFE way to be better.

RIStar you can’t just go tell people to go out and buy a workout book. 65 or however much it was is only for serious players. Maby he wants to create his own. Some don’t have that kind of money.

I think this is more of a question for KC

It all depends on what your goals are. If you want to focus on dynamic strength (ie. more compound lifts and exercises) or working a specific areas (like isolation movements). For an athlete, the first choice is the better one. That being said, there are two good options for workout splits:
-3 days a week, each session fullbody, 48 hours between workouts
-4 days a week, 2 lower body/2 upper

I am more of a fan of the fullbody workout, but have done the upper/lower split for football. I also think CF does that kind of split, so hopefully he can give his opinion on it. So, keep in mind my answer will focus on the 3 day a week lifting program. I’d go with one day of rest a week and one active recovery day (do something fun that involves physical activity, but nothing strenuous). The other days I would focus on sport specific training, such as weighted ball, long toss, or bullpen sessions.

To answer your questions:
How many exercises per workout? It will depend on how many sets you do per exercise, but 8 is a good number to shoot for. If you do 3 sets per exercise, each averaging about a minute and a half that would be 36 minutes. Your workouts certainly dont need to last longer than 45.

Which kind of exercise should I mix? There are several different opinions on this one. I’ll give some basics and you can see what works best for you. The simplest way to classify exercises is by push and pull. A benchpress is a push exercise and a row is a pull. Deadlifts are pull, squats are push. If you follow this type of format then you will be able to achieve decent muscular balance, which is very beneficial. So, using the 8 exercise example, there would be 4 push and 4 pull exercises. This would be distributed across the entire body.

An example…
3x8 Squats
3x8 Body Row
3x8 Deadlifts
3x8 DB Benchpress
3x6 Pullups
3x12 DB Lunges
3x8 High Pulls
3x8 Push Press

Push= Squats, DB Bench, Lunges, Push Press
Pull= Rows, Deads, Pullups, High Pulls

Hopefully you can get what I am saying with the distribution of exercises. If you have any questions, fire away.

thank you very much kc good answer.

The problem of tuff cuff is that $65 is nothing, but then comes other stuff with tuff cuff that you have to buy and i dont have that kind of money(to expensive) and the exercise that im going to do are from this website that you can find in articles, in the topic how to increase baseball pitching velocity.

Kc these are the exercise that im planning to do 15-20 reps 3 sets i think there good:

Warm-up exercise(10 exercise)
weighted balls(still havent bought them but by this week i am)
J-bands(10 exercise)
groin stretch
hamstrings cirl
lunge
squat
clean and jerk
calf raises
total abdominal work
leg lifts
bench press
push-ups
dumbbells flys
seated shoulder press
towel drill:delivery, strech, bounce, reach, grab/circle drills
Dry mechanincal Drills: Cross Arm, strech/pull, 3 point line up drills
jobe excercises with 2-5 lbs(4 exercise)
forearm curls with bars
reverse forearm curs with bar
hammer curls with dumbbell
Run

Ok so those are all the exercise im planning to do but i dont know how to mix them up. Im willing to work out at least everyday of the week except sunday(rest), because my goal is to throw 85-89 this summer before college tryouts start. Right now im throwing 78-80 i know i have alot of work to do, but im a hard worker and i know i can do it.

If you have any exercise that i should add just tell me and i will do it, if its going to help me in increasing my velocity because thats what im working for and also mechanics.

Definitely add deadlifts, body rows (also called inverted rows), pullups/chinups, and medicine ball drills. If you dont have a medicine ball, you can make one with an old basketball and some sand. Here is a link on how to do it.
http://www.mikesgym.org/articles/uploads/EbookMedBall1THESLAMMER.pdf

And some other options for homemade equipment (anything you can think of): http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/Grunt/grunt.html

ok thanks i will give it a look, i have to search what are the other exercise that you told me to do, also do you think my workout is good to what i want to achieve

As far as your goal for velocity, I think you will need to address much more than what you have listed on your exercise list. Most of those exercises are isolation exercises with very little explosiveness, or fast twitch type muscle being built. What you have to remember is that the real secret behind velocity is the ability to express muscular tension in a fraction of a second. For example, someone might be able to benchpress 200 pounds, but that same person probably couldn’t throw a 200 pound medicine ball while lying flat.

Also, doing 15-20 reps is counterproductive to building power. Doing high reps every once in a while is good to build muscular endurance, but if velocity is a major goal, then this type of training will not help you. If you can do 20 reps with no problem, then you need heavier weight.

I’ll throw out some ideas for training explosiveness that do not involve expensive equipment. If you are interested in learning about them, let me know and I can explain further.
-Sledgehammer training
-Sandbag training
-Gymnastic style training
-Odd object (logs, kegs, etc.)
-Sled Training (running and pulling)

[quote=“kbm2589”]thank you very much kc good answer.

The problem of tuff cuff is that $65 is nothing, but then comes other stuff with tuff cuff that you have to buy and i dont have that kind of money(to expensive) and the exercise that im going to do are from this website that you can find in articles, in the topic how to increase baseball pitching velocity.

Kc these are the exercise that im planning to do 15-20 reps 3 sets i think there good:

Warm-up exercise(10 exercise)
weighted balls(still havent bought them but by this week i am)
J-bands(10 exercise)
groin stretch
hamstrings cirl
lunge
squat
clean and jerk
calf raises
total abdominal work
leg lifts
bench press
push-ups
dumbbells flys
seated shoulder press
towel drill:delivery, strech, bounce, reach, grab/circle drills
Dry mechanincal Drills: Cross Arm, strech/pull, 3 point line up drills
jobe excercises with 2-5 lbs(4 exercise)
forearm curls with bars
reverse forearm curs with bar
hammer curls with dumbbell
Run

Ok so those are all the exercise im planning to do but i dont know how to mix them up. Im willing to work out at least everyday of the week except sunday(rest), because my goal is to throw 85-89 this summer before college tryouts start. Right now im throwing 78-80 i know i have alot of work to do, but im a hard worker and i know i can do it.

If you have any exercise that i should add just tell me and i will do it, if its going to help me in increasing my velocity because thats what im working for and also mechanics.[/quote]

I wouldn’t recommend doing any high rep olympic lifts such as power clean and jerk… At 15 reps, you’re form is bound to start suffering causing a potential chance of injuring yourself…

Stick with these exercises…

Squat
Box Squat/deadstop squats
Lunges
Step-Ups
Glute Ham Raises
RDL
One arm Deadlift
Rows
Chins/Pullups
DB Press/Bench Press
Floor Press
Farmers Walk
Sled Pulling
Jobes/Rotator Cuff Care

And if you can perform olympic lifts…
Snatches/cleans/push jerks, etc…

Whether it’s performing the exercise from the floor, hanging position, etc…

If you have a membership to a gym, you’re good to go, if not, contact KC about implementing other ideas, such as the ones he listed…

One thing I would continually emphasize is the mental game… You’ll never make it very far without it…

Edit: Whoa, that was weird, I just clicked on this thread again and more posts showed up… Huh…

all of the exercise you listed im not familiar with kc, Please explain.
I already made a schedule tell me if its good, but how come in the article this website has it says how to increase pitching velocity, but o well i made a schedule i would add more exercise if i have to i dont care i just dont want to be laying around i my house i want to increase my velocity so i did this schedule for now.

Day 1
groin stretch-30 secs 3 sets
j-bands-10 ex 20 reps each 3 sets
forearm curls-25lbs reps 3 sets
reverse forearm curls-25lbs 15 reps 3 sets
jobe excercise-5lb 20 reps 3 sets 4 ex.
hammer curls-20 reps 3 sets

Day 2
groin stretch
j-bands
10 hard sprints
hamstring curls-15 reps 3 sets
lunge-20 reps 3 sets
squat with bar-60lb 10 reps 3 sets
clean and jerk-30lbs 5 reps 3 sets
calf raises-50 reps 3 sets
leg lifts-20 reps 3 sets

Day 3
groin stretch
j-bands
shoulder press-25lbs 20 reps 3 sets
jobe ex
bench press-70lbs 20 reps 3 sets
push-ups-20 reps 3 sets
dumbbells fly-25lb 20 reps 3 sets

Day 4
repeat day 2

Day 5
groin stretch
j-bands
abdominal workouts-2 ex of 20 reps 3 sets and 1 ex 50 reps 2 sets
deadlifts-15 reps 3 sets

Day 6
jog 15-20 min
j-bands
towel drills
dry mechanical drills
throwing-30 throws with a softball and 30 throws with a baseball
j-bands again
sprints

day 7
rest

any comments about my workout let me know, also i will take 1 min of rest after each set that i complete. I will probably add more to my workout. Also when i have a game i would not do the exercise i will take that day to rest my arm.

I would add more of the exercise that you guys tell me to do but the problem is that i dont know how to do them here are the exercise that i dont know:

Step-Ups
Glute Ham Raises
RDL
One arm Deadlift
Rows
Chins/Pullups
Floor Press
Farmers Walk
Sled Pulling
Sledgehammer training
-Sandbag training
-Odd object (logs, kegs, etc.)-I dont know about tis exercise it sounds kindve wierd. lol :?

so if you can explain these exercise to me, please do it will help thanks for the help.

[quote=“kbm2589”]I would add more of the exercise that you guys tell me to do but the problem is that i dont know how to do them here are the exercise that i dont know:

Step-Ups
Glute Ham Raises
RDL
One arm Deadlift
Rows
Chins/Pullups
Floor Press
Farmers Walk
Sled Pulling
Sledgehammer training
-Sandbag training
-Odd object (logs, kegs, etc.)-I dont know about tis exercise it sounds kindve wierd. lol :?

so if you can explain these exercise to me, please do it will help thanks for the help.[/quote]
*Sledgehammer training is pretty simple. You get a sledgehammer weighing anywhere from 12-20 pounds and a large tire (most tire places will give you a couple for free) and you swing the sledge as hard as you can at the tire. The tire will give you a little deceleration of the impact and then you go into the next swing. It builds tons of explosive strength in the core and shoulders. I’d start by going 20 swings righthanded, then 20 left. That is one set. Go for 4-5 sets at high intensity.

*Gymnastic style is basically relies on bodyweight. This guy is probably one of the best at explaining the different exercises, so it would be a good place to start. http://www.beastskills.com/tutorials.htm

*Sandbag Training is fairly self explanatory. You get a sandbag (actually get a couple so you can double bag and not worry about rips) and then you fill it with as much sand as needed. 40-50 pounds sis probably sufficient. The main exercise to do with the bag would be shouldering, bringing the bag from the ground to your shoulder. This mimics the deadlift, only in this case the weight is constantly moving, so you work the wrists, hands, and stabilizers as well. There are a bunch of different exercises you can also do with the sandbag. Google if you want to see more.

*Odd Object may sound a little weird, but basically you are just using everyday items instead of dumbbells and barbbells. You can do just about any exercise with a log that you can do with a BB- rows, presses, squats (front squats would be easier than back), deadlifts, etc. You can also incorporate explosive training by throwing the log. One exercise that is a real fun one is throwing the log over your head (aiming behind you). It really builds the legs and lower back and it is also really fun. You can also do various types of other exercises, look up medicine ball exercises and apply them to the log. As for the keg, it is similar to the sandbag. You fill it part way with water and the water will slosh around when you do the exercise, meaning the the weight is always in motion. This means the stabilizer muscles will be working overtime.

*For Sled training you need to get a sled. They are actually pretty easy to build (check the links I posted earlier for homemade equipment), or you can just use an old tire. Put a piece of plywood inside and fill the tire with weights. Then attach a rope to the tire and figure out a way to harness yourself (a weight lifting belt works, or you could just hold one end of the rope in each hand as you run). You can also train your pulling strength by sitting down and then pulling the tire toward your (like a game of tug of war).

they sound like good exercise but some of the items are going to be hard to get for me, right now my location is in the dominican republic, next week im going to New york, is going to be hard for me to find a couple of those items and im not very good at building stuff lol.

But if there is any thing else let me know. I want to do the sledge hammer workout it sounds good but im going to have to find a sledge hammer.

I have a question, doing physical workouts like doing running drills help in stamina and in velocity or in stamina only?

[quote=“kbm2589”]they sound like good exercise but some of the items are going to be hard to get for me, right now my location is in the dominican republic, next week im going to New york, is going to be hard for me to find a couple of those items and im not very good at building stuff lol.

But if there is any thing else let me know. I want to do the sledge hammer workout it sounds good but im going to have to find a sledge hammer.

I have a question, doing physical workouts like doing running drills help in stamina and in velocity or in stamina only?[/quote]
It depends on how you structure the running. Working short distance sprints can aid in developing fast twitch muscle (ie. allowing the muscle to apply greater force in shorter time). I’d focus on keeping the distances short, 50 yards or less. Longer distance works the aerobic energy system, which you do not use when pitching.

You may just want to look into adding some more sprint work to your routine if you have limited knowledge on the different forms of exercises… Or google away the list of exercises we provided you…

You’d be surprised on the gains you could potentially make from just sprinting more often… Given your current situation, you may be best suited for this type of training at the moment…