Workout Routine

Hey I’m 17 and a Junior in high school, I would like to gain at least 35 lbs between now and next year and I am a pretty skinny kid, I was wondering what a good work out plan would be for me to gain some muscle and strengthen my arm, as I tend to have shoulder soreness quite a bit, I did go through physical therapy last year and did some jobes exercises as well as theraband and that really helped, I’m thinking i’ll stick with that for my shoulder but what should I do for a plan to gain the weight? Any suggestions such as how many times a week and certain exercises would be great. Also I’m thinking on starting on protein shakes, how often should I take them?Thanks

We really need a sticky in this forum.

Okay, as I normally say in this situation, you need to strengthen your whole body, not just the shoulder. To do this you will want to get a program of weightlifting, plyometrics and sprinting/running. Weightlifting can either be 4 sessions a week, divided into 2 upper body and 2 lower body days. The other option is 3 days a week of fullbody workouts. Either will work, it just depends on your preference. Centerfield has a good program that incorporates all 3 aspects, hopefully he can give you the link to it.

For weight gain, it is simple math of calories in vs. calories burned. 1 pound of body mass is roughly equal to 3500 calories. So if you have a surplus of 3500 calories over the course of a week, you will gain a pound. Now, the types of food you eat will determine what type of mass you add (exercise will also play a role). If you eat lots of junk food, high sugar, etc. then the weight will most likely be fat. If you eat high protein, the weight will be mostly muscle. Since you are an athlete, you want the muscle. To start, find out what your metabolic rate is (search google and you’ll find free calculators for that). That is the amount of calories your body burns simply by being alive. Add to that the calories you burn through physical activity and you should have a basic idea of the amount of calories you burn in a day. So, if your body burns 3,000 calories a day, you would need to eat more than that in order to gain weight. To gain a pound a week, you need to eat 500 calories more than your maintenence level, so 3500 a day. If you want to gain weight faster, you eat more.
So, in order to add muscle, you want to make sure that you are getting plenty of protein each day. Take your bodyweight and multiply by 0.75 and that is the amount (in grams) that you should be consuming in protein. A 200 pound person should get 150 grams a day, for example. You also need to get plenty of healthy fats (olive oil, peanut butter, fish, nuts, avocados, and many others). Carbs should be centered on lots of fruits and veggies, and whole grains as well.
Nutrition is a tricky subject, so I wont go too far into it here. Just keep it simple and you should do great.

ok thanks

anyone else have suggestions?

I went through the site and looked at exercises to improve velocity and here is what I came up with, I do need suggestions for cardio though.

[b]Lower[/b]
Hip flexor machine 
Hamstring curl 
Lunge 
Squat 
Clean and jerk 
Calf raises 
Leg press 
Leg curl 
Medicine ball 
Total Abdominal work 
Leg lifts 
[b]Upper[/b]
Bench press 
Seated row 
Lat pull down 
Push-up 
Dumbbell flys
Shoulder press 
Tricep pulldown (standing/sitting) 
Shoulder press 
Theraband Exercises
Forearm curls with bar 
Reverse forearm curls with bar 
Hammer curls with dumbbell
Jobe Exercises 
Wrist Rolls

All 3 sets of 10
Lower on Mon. Wed.
Upper on Tues. Thurs.

Bullpen on Friday/Sunday

3 sets of 10 is more of a bodybuilder set/rep scheme. Here is the article that centerfielder wrote (his is third): http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw69.htm
You have too many machine exercises. All you really need for lower body is squats, deadlifts, and cleans (or snatches). For upper, one chest exercise (like bench press), one for the back (like bent over rows), one overhead lift (push press), and something compound/explosive (maybe a hang clean or barbaccios).

Cardio should be sprint-centered, with minimal distance running. One easy drill would be to mark off a distance (lets say 30 yards). Sprint 30 yards and then walk back to the start point. Do that 6-8 times.

You will find that if you go really hard at the main lifts your body is already well worked and fatigued, you won’t need nearly as many total lifts.
It’s great that it provides a harder, more athletic workout, and also shortens the time you are in the gym, as you do less total reps.

5 sets x 5 reps
6 sets x 4 reps
8 sets x 3 reps

Squat
Deadlift
Power Clean
Snatches (I prefer hang)
Dumbell bench
Rows
Pullups
Pushpress
Glute-ham raise should really be in there since 99% of athletes could use a stronger posterior chain.

Any lifts outside of these are really to help promote balance, eliminate weaknesses, and further fatigue muscles that may not get as much work during the other lifts (although basically every muscle you use in sports is hit with the first 6 exercises).

These exercises are often done with somewhat higher reps (10, yes 10 is what I call high reps), although it’s a situation where it’s great to mix it up.

Great supplemental exercises that you would add after this include:
Anything bodyweight, and challenging.
Lunges, step-ups, romanian deadlifts, back extensions, reverse hypers.
Core work- hanging leg raises, floor wipers, bridges

I find most all athletes want to have good looking arms, unfortunately it’s the biceps not the hamstrings that our society looks at to determine one’s strength. So add in the curls (prefferably hammer or reverse to work grip) and a tricep press (skull crushers, extensions), but I recommend it being in a more intense fashion such as a super set. This method is effective, it shortens the total workout time, and provides a great mental challenge.

Then you use other exercises to further your training especially in the cases of baseball include:

Medicine ball (especially explosive rotational work)
Rotator Cuff work
Grip work (plate pinches, static holds, and there are others)

Plyos are also effective, and incrediby explosive.

Sprints are great.
I also recommend to do some stretching, it improves your overall well being, you have less aches and pains throughout your day, and you also improve your performance and lower your risk of injury. In regards to stretching, I’m talking about sessions after exercise, or even separate from exercise at all.