Workout for 15 year old

Here is a program that my 15 year old son is following to try to add strength which he hopes will lead to increased velocity.

If it looks familiar we got most of it off of this forum.

I have a couple of questions;

1. Would you add anything to the days he is not lifting?
  2. When is the best time to play catch on the lifting days, not pitching from a mound just throwing. Before or after lifting?
  3. Is it safe to add a weighted ball program and what days would
    you do it?

Thanks in advanced.

Monday
squat jump continuous
MB rotational side throws
Dumbbell snatch
Squats
oblique crunch
Chin ups
SB bench press one armed
Barbell Rollouts
Chest supported dumbbell rows
split squats foot on bench and other foot on platform
face pulls

Wednesday
lateral hurdle jumps
MB squat chest pass
One arm dumb bell bench press
Dumbbell Walking Lunges
straight leg sit ups
Stability Ball Pushups
BB one arm shoulder press
Hip lift/glute bridge shoulders and feet on bench
romanian deadlift 1 arm 1 leg
Palloff Press
wrist curls

Friday
Hurdle Jumps
MB kneeling overhead throws
Dumbbell squat jumps
Step ups
MB slams
chin ups
Push ups
SB hamstring curls
DB plank rows
Dead lifts
plate squeeze

is your son following this in season or is he already beginning his off season training?

We have finished for the summer and are starting the offseason.

He will play fall baseball starting in mid September. They play 2 games every Sunday for 5 weeks.

a lot of the exercises are good but you don’t really have an organization here…total body days are okay but I would also consider a 4 day lifting split with two upper and lower body days. A lot of guys respond well to this, but it will likely make him more consistently sore so it may not be the best thing for fall ball.

Can you explain more on what you mean by organization?

There is nothing really stopping us from a four day split, this was just a program that received some good comments on the boards so we thought we would start with it.

Can you explain more on what you mean by organization?

There is nothing really stopping us from a four day split, this was just a program that received some good comments on the boards so we thought we would start with it.[/quote]

All I mean is that a “program” is not just a list of exercises. That is part of it, but you have no set/rep scheme here, and there is not always a logical order to the exercises you have listed. Additionally there is no listed warm-up, which is one of the more important things.

Let’s look at monday, which is currently just a list of exercises:

Monday
squat jump continuous
MB rotational side throws
Dumbbell snatch
Squats
oblique crunch
Chin ups
SB bench press one armed
Barbell Rollouts
Chest supported dumbbell rows
split squats foot on bench and other foot on platform
face pulls

Plyometrics and explosive movements are best done first in a workout, but if this is our squat day, do we really want medium/higher rep jump squats? Keep the volume here low, you don’t want to be burned out before you hit your main lift of the day. I’d recommend box squats for a young player, pick a box that he can get down to while keeping the spine neutral, and always go for speed over just purely loading on weight and sacrificing form. The front squat grip is much easier on a pitchers shoulders.

Monday - Total Body (squat day)
A1)Squat Jumps 5x3
A2)MB rotational throws 4x5
A3) DB snatch 4x3/side

B1) Box Squat (front squat grip) 4x6
B2) Face Pulls 3x8

C1)Neutral Grip Chinups 4x6 (add weight when this is easy)
C2)Side Plank 30s/side (a better option than oblique crunches)

D1)SB Bench 3x8
D2) Barbell rollouts 3x10

this is really all you need…adding in the split squats and DB rows will be a TON of volume for one day…consider adding a 4th day during the week or just substituting certain exercises after each 4-6 week period.

Thanks Lefty, this is the information we were looking for, great stuff.

I should have posted what our reps were, 3x5 on most.