Workout Advice

I’m looking for some help regarding my lifting and if there are things that I should be doing or things I should do less of?

My Workout

-Running- Sprint/Jog Intervals (about two miles)
-Eliptical Trainer- 15 Minutes (about 3.5 miles)

Lifting

Shoulders

• Shoulder Press (Dumbbells) 6 x 5
  • Front Raise (Dumbbells) 5 x 7
  • Lateral Raise (Dumbbells) 5 x 7
  • Post Deltoids (Dumbbells) 5 x 6
  • External/Interal Raises For Rotator Cuff (Dumbbells) 4 x 10
  • Dead Lift 10,8,6,4,2 Reps

Forearms/Biceps/Triceps

• Dumbbell Curls 5 x 6
  • Dumbbell Reverse Curls 5 x 6
  • Forearm Curls (Dumbbells) 3 x 15
  • Reverse Forearm Curls (Dumbbells) 3 x 15
  • Forearm Rope Twists 5 times up and back down
  • Triceps Pull Down- 3 x 10

Legs

• Squats 10,8,6,4,2 Reps
  • Leg Extensions (Machine) - 5 x 10
  • Calf Raises (Machine) - 4 x 15

Chest

• Incline Bench Press- 5 x 10 Light Weights
  • Bench Press- 5 x 10 Light Weights

Back

• Pull Rows (Machine) - 3 x 10
  • Lat Pull Downs (Machine) - 3 x 10

I don’t feel like I’m doing enough for my legs and back? Any Suggestions?

Next I do plyometrics and medicine ball work.

I’m looking for help on this too… Does anyone have what they think are some key exercises to work on for the core? I do crunches, side crunches, lunges, medicine ball chops and about 5 other things and I’m wondering if there is anything else I could do to help tighten up my core?

Thanks,
Dave

I’m curious why you have dead lifts under shoulder workouts? Dead lifts should be under legs. Did you design this yourself? It covers some of the basic exercises but could be supplemented. How much core work are you doing? Core is extremely for pitchers, it’s where the explosive power is produced. Plus having a strong core prevents against injury. Your core is the connection between upper and lower body. If it is weak you won’t be able to use your whole body.

I don’t know how often you do this? MWF? Or is this all one day/ a split? Upper and lower body? Please be more specific. But I can give you some suggestions.

For your leg day you have:
Legs

• Squats 10, 8,6,4,2 Reps
  • Leg Extensions (Machine) - 5 x 10
  • Calf Raises (Machine) - 4 x 15

I would include dead lifts, Romanian (Straight Leg) Dead lifts for hamstrings, and lunges. Lunges are one of the best leg workouts you can do. Lunges help me with hitting because of the stance is very similar.

Why do you have Chest and Shoulders on a different day? Chest should be with shoulders because with bench press you use close to 90% of your shoulders.

Chest

• Incline Bench Press- 5 x 10 Light Weights
  • Bench Press- 5 x 10 Light Weights

Shoulders

• Shoulder Press (Dumbbells) 6 x 5
  • Front Raise (Dumbbells) 5 x 7
  • Lateral Raise (Dumbbells) 5 x 7
  • Post Deltoids (Dumbbells) 5 x 6
  • External/Internals Raises for Rotator Cuff (Dumbbells) 4 x 10

**Make sure you have proper form and don’t use too much weight when doing shoulder exercises! Especially any kind of raise (front/ lateral) use 5pound dumbbells and don’t go too fast. Make sure you are in control of the weight. I would also include resistance cord work for the shoulder.

Your Forearm workout is good. I would work Back/Bicep/Forearm the same day because you use your biceps and forearms for pulling exercises such as:

Back

• Pull Rows (Machine) - 3 x 10
  • Lat Pull Downs (Machine) - 3 x 10

I would also include some shrugs.

In my opinion reverse curls (French curls) made my elbow and ligaments stronger and stopped the pain I had when I threw too much.

My advice would be to use someone else workout to start out (If your new to lifting try to get a good strength base). Then when you get an understanding of workouts design your own for your own needs.

Be careful with plyometrics! Even though the weight may not seem heavy. It puts a lot of stress on the back/knees/and feet.

Have fun and remember to keep a good diet and don’t over train.

My workout is a combination of things that I was told by my coach and by members of this board. It’s all one day for me. I do my lifting on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I also don’t know why I had dead lift under shoulders, I definitly ment to put it under legs, my mistake on that one.

Ok heres some quick things I just noticed in your workout.

Biceps- You are doing way too many sets per exercise, 4 sets should be the max

Triceps- You only have one exercise for triceps and you need more. If not you’ll get a muscle imbalance in your arms and you don’t want that.

Legs- Got the right idea with squats, throw in some lunges and even some jump squats. If your gonna do leg extensions then make sure to do leg curls as well, has to do with that muscle imbalance along with the hamstring is the muscle you’re most likely to injure.

Back- The two exercises are good. In my personal opinion I like to use free weights instead of machine since you get a more wide range of motion, so i would usually do bent over rows or one arm rows, but thats just preference. You do need to add some more exercises for back since it plays a major factor in pitching, though the deadlift does strengthen your lower back, but u probably already know that.

Shoulders- Your variety of shoulder exercises are good. The only thing is that you have too many sets again. I would again probably not go more than four sets on an exercise unless it was like squat or deadlift. You’re at a higher risk of over training the muscle.

Forearms- Looks good!

Chest- I think you should be fine doin 5 sets of bench it its light weight. I would throw in another chest exercise though, I would say maybe a dumbell fly. Also I would say use dumbells for your bench since you’ll be able to get a better stretch when coming down then with a bar

Wheres your explosive exercises?

As far as doin them on the same day, if you have the time I would split them up since it seems like a little much for just one day. Especially if you’re doin squats and deadlifts on the same day, your back would just be destroyed along with some other muscles.

Anyways those are just a few things that I saw when glancing at your workout, I’ll take a closer look at it when I have more time. Just ask me if you need help on any types of exercises for a muscle group. That goes for the core as well.