Working Out.

I play both varsity baseball and football. During the summer I want to get big and work out as much as possible. I’m worried that it will effect my pitching in the future. Will working out for football effect my velocity and flexibility? Is there a way I can still increase velocity by throwing some rotator cuff and shoulder exercises and also some rubber band work and throwing frequently?

If you’re playing football, I’m assuming the workout routine your team does includes a lot of the explosive lifts… I would just focus on one individual sport at a time and when football season is over, focus on baseball…

If anything, you may even see an increase in your velocity, but then again, you can’t say for sure…

But yes, I would still do the rotator cuff exercises 2-3 times a week in conjunction with your workout routine and make sure to still stretch post-exercise… I like to devote at least 15-20 minutes to stretching after I’m done with my workout…

Anyways, have fun, man! What position do you play? And also, if you don’t mind, what kind of routine are you doing now?

I’m 6’1 200 lbs and I play guard. My workout routine consists of a 4 day workout that I keep repeating. Day 1: chest and tris, Day 2: Bis, back, and forearms, Day 3: Shoulders, Day 4: Legs. I also do alot of ab workout and running thoughout the week.

I play summer baseball so I think that will help me keep my flexibility and increase my velocity.

I’m going to be a senior next year and it’s kind of hard to decide if I want to play baseball or football in college. But as of now I’m leaning more towards baseball.

[quote=“sean60”]I’m 6’1 200 lbs and I play guard. My workout routine consists of a 4 day workout that I keep repeating. Day 1: chest and tris, Day 2: Bis, back, and forearms, Day 3: Shoulders, Day 4: Legs. I also do alot of ab workout and running thoughout the week.

I play summer baseball so I think that will help me keep my flexibility and increase my velocity.

I’m going to be a senior next year and it’s kind of hard to decide if I want to play baseball or football in college. But as of now I’m leaning more towards baseball.[/quote]

Well, if you want an athlete’s perspective, and most strength trainers will probably tell you the same thing, I would do either an upper/lower split, or a full body split emphasizing the compound lifts such as powercleans, hanging cleans, clean pulls, snatches (bb, one arm db, kettleball), snatch pulls, squats, deads, glute ham raises, push jerk, deadstop squats, etc…

During season, depending on your schedule, I would include 1-2 full body workout days during the week if time permits… In-season work is mostly built around maintaining what you achieved during the off-season…

[quote=“sean60”]I’m 6’1 200 lbs and I play guard. My workout routine consists of a 4 day workout that I keep repeating. Day 1: chest and tris, Day 2: Bis, back, and forearms, Day 3: Shoulders, Day 4: Legs. I also do alot of ab workout and running thoughout the week.

I’m going to be a senior next year and it’s kind of hard to decide if I want to play baseball or football in college. But as of now I’m leaning more towards baseball.[/quote]
The problem is that college scouts will keep telling you to get bigger and bigger in order to play o-line in college, while that might not be the best for your pitching. Even if you shift down to center in college, you will be expected to gain a lot of weight (small guys still go about 235).

The simplest thing I can say is build your legs (that will help you out big time for football and baseball) and try to avoid the bench press infatuation. And I’d probably buy Joe DeFranco’s strength DVD ( www.defrancostraining.com ).