Working out after pitching a game

is it bad if you workout with weights for your legs and workout your core after you have pitched a game.

Do you mean directly after? If so, it is bad. Your body gets destroyed after you pitch. You need rest and nutrition.

how would you suggest a starting pitcher maintain their strength in season while also being fully rested for their next start, assuming a 5 day rotation?

I think lifting after a start is a perfectly good idea. Your arm may be fatigued and your body overall may feel a little tired, but you’re perfectly good to lift lower body after you throw. Don’t crush your already taxed shoulder with rotator cuff exercises immediately after, but I see no harm in lifting directly after throwing, provided you use a little common sense.

how would you suggest a starting pitcher maintain their strength in season while also being fully rested for their next start, assuming a 5 day rotation?

I think lifting after a start is a perfectly good idea. Your arm may be fatigued and your body overall may feel a little tired, but you’re perfectly good to lift lower body after you throw. Don’t crush your already taxed shoulder with rotator cuff exercises immediately after, but I see no harm in lifting directly after throwing, provided you use a little common sense.[/quote]

I mostly agree. You won’t get your best effort out of it, but it’s fine to do so. If you’re a starter, it probably makes sense to rest and lift the day after. If you’re a reliever, it’s probably better to lift the same day so recovery isn’t impacted for the next time you need to throw (unless it’s a back-to-back game situation where you need to pitch, like a tournament).

I was talking about being a starter. Don’t know what he was talking about, but in my opinion, if you start you need rest after your start. I always lift the day after, but not right after.