Work so far

Thanks chinmusic and Roger. I have already started the work. I was staying back way too long and I also noticed that I need to get going forward with the hips driving to the plate much sooner as I lift my leg. So although the seperation was getting there… there was not explosiveness to it. Thanks for all the help. When I practice this for a few weeks I will post more video (it won’t be sideways either).

Thanks a bunch.

First, there is a philosophical debate going on here. After reading Bob Shaw and Mike Marshall, I have come to believe that a high release point is more important than releasing the ball closer to the plate. Roger (and Tom House) disagrees. At the end of the day it may not matter either way, since there are examples to back up both arguments.

Second, I will grant you that if you take a long stride, you do have to stride forward powerfully. That enables you to get more of your weight on your GS leg which allows your PAS foot to come free of the rubber which allows your hips to keep turning. If you don’t stride forward powerfully, you will end up basically doing the splits with your weight on both your GS and PAS legs. IOW, Roy Oswalt has to stride forward so quickly because he takes such a long stride.

Third, let’s talk about stride and weight distribution in the context of some photos of Nate Robertson from last night.

Photos 1 and 2 represent basically the same moment in time. The shoulders have turned about 60 degrees and the PAS upper arm has externally rotated 90 degrees. His PAS toe is off the ground in these photos because he has powerfully strode into his GS leg and his weight is on his GS leg as a result. Also notice that his PAS foot is laces down.

Photo 3 represents a slightly later point in time just before the release point. Because his weight is on his GS leg, his PAS foot is able to come off the rubber and his PAS knee is able to keep coming forward. This allows his hips to keep turning, which pulls his shoulders around.

JKDJose
Wow! Lot’s of action on this one in a short time.

[quote=“chinmusic”]The bottom line for you is you need to get your center of masss moving and keep it going INTO footplant WHILE staying stacked and connected as well as keeping good posture the whole time.[/quote]I wish I had that smiley to put here of hands clapping!!! Right on, Chin!

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]Roy Oswalt has to stride forward so quickly because he takes such a long stride.[/quote]That’s quite an assumption. You’re sure of this now, are you? The “cause and effect” is that conclusive? Don’t you think there could be other reasons? How about:

1. Intent (he just wants to)
  2. Long stride as a result of the forward motion (reversing your thought)
  3. A combination of #1 and #2
  4. Style (it’s always worked for him)
  5. It affords him the time to generate the forward momentum into landing that he feels helps him

My point is that there could be any number of reasons why a pitcher does anything.

I’m not even convinced (yet) that obsessing about raising the release point or getting it out front farther is really providing a significant return on the investment (sorry Roger :wink: ). (Although I will say that I’m “leaning” more toward the out front release than the higher one.)

JKDJose
Take Chin and Roger’s advice. You won’t go wrong there.

Where did you get the idea that this is important? I’m not sure that laces down at foot strike is necessary.

This photo of Casey Janssen is probably the closest to it…

I also see it in this photo of Johan Santana…

I don’t see it in this photo of Sandy Koufax…

Maddux is only halfway there in this photo…

Where did you get the idea that this is important? I’m not sure that laces down at foot strike is necessary.[/quote]

The photos of Casey Janssen, Johan Santana and Greg Maddux are very close to having the laces turned over and none of them are actually at landing yet. I don’t know if anyone has said that getting them all the way over is the goal. It’s actually an indication of other things, not an end in itself. It shows that the weight is not hanging back there and has actually gotten out onto the front foot as a result of good lower body action.

Dragging the back foot isn’t a bad thing either. Most, not all, pros do it. It’s also a result, not a cause of anything. Some pick the back foot up early but not many. Schilling’s one example and there are others.

Watching the World Series through TiVO I was able to slow down several pitching motions and I found one thing very interesting.

I notice that when I land with my left foot, that my knee is pointing somewhere between third base and home plate, but when I watch the pitchers in MLB, 95 percent of them land with the knee already facing home plate and some of their toes pointing to the left side of home plate.

Now that I finally have my CoG going forward, I am having a tough time opening those hips so that they are not so closed at (knee pointing between 3rd and home). Should the knee be pointing at home plate (straight on) at foot plant? If so, what drill or exercise can I do to help me achieve this?

Dragging the back foot will cause loss in pitching velocity. It’ll help on slowing the ball down on a change-up.

[quote=“Bill Chapones”]Dragging the back foot will cause loss in pitching velocity. It’ll help on slowing the ball down on a change-up.[/quote]If you study video of MLB pitchers, you’ll see very few that don’t drag the back foot. Clemens, Ryan, etc. all drag the back foot. Also, if you didn’t do it in general and you did in an attempt to help your changeup, you’d be telegraphing your intent to throw a change.

This is conventional wisdom that just isn’t true. 80% of velocity comes from hip and shoulder rotation - not linear movement down the hill. So dragging the back foot can really only affect that 20%. But, as DM pointed out, many if not most of the top pitchers in the game all drag their back foot. Nolan Ryan had a very long drag line and we all know what he threw.

Does JKDJose appear to be trying to delay his shoulders too long … I’m not sure how else to describe it… but i think that he’s focusing to much on getting seperation between the hips and the shoulders rotating and it keeps him back, it keeps him from finishing out in front of his left knee.

This is why I said I think he’s overstriding (or not striding hard enough). Either way, he can’t get his weight on top of his GS leg.

Chris and Andrew. You are both correct. My weight is not over my GS knee because of 2 things:

1. I am not striding, but right away opening my hips because all I was thinking about was achieving the shoulder to hip seperation, which in turn looks like my stride is too long because, I am not moving forward at all. I measured my stride and it is 79- 83 percent of my height.

2. Weight stays back on post leg way too long and the weight never goes forward.

I am currently working on both these issues. Thanks for the feedback. It is supposed to be really nice tomorrow, so I will try to get out the backyard and record some more video.

One more thing to keep in mind is the concept of striding sideways to the target.

You don’t want to open your hips right away. Instead, you want to stride sideways to the target and then open your hips up at the last second before your GS foot lands.

That’s a great picture Chris. Thanks. Now the trick is to keep that stride going sideways and then at the last minute, turn the hips into footplant, while keeping the shoulders closed correct?

Correct.

I guess I’ll just repeat myself, Dragging the back foot, does slow the ball down, as it slows your follow through down. Maby it all depends how far you drag it, but, dragging the foot DOES slow the mechanics down - so slows velocity down. Try it you’ll see for yourself. I guess you all watch video’s of different pitchers,o.k. but, how do you know what pitch he was throwing during foot drag?