Winter ball pitcher and weight training

I am currently going to be playing winter ball here inmy area but I also go to the gym 5 days a week and do heavy weight training now that my current teams season is done. What weight training can I do without hurting my arm, but also gain shoulder strength for increased velocity. My gym daily rotate daily, so one day is chest, next legs, 3rd day shoulders and back fourth day will be biceps and legs and 5th day is triceps and abs. I also run 3 miles and put in 45 mins on the elliptical. What more do I need to do ?

I’m not sure if this will help but what I do (when I’m able to have a lifting routine) is try to vary my sessions such that my pitching schedule alternates with the upper body (particularly shoulders biceps and triceps) part of my lifting routine. In other words for me it would be something like TUE, FRI, SUN upper body lifting, MON, WED, FRI pitching making sure to rest my arm entirely SAT.

I could not put everything into my pitching sessions if my arms were sore. My legs were a different story. Maybe that says something about me I don’t know.

It sounds like you’ve got a very serious routine so if your doing all this and still not achieving the results you want, strength and conditioning might not be your problem. I had to really ease off my strength and conditioning and focus on mechanics and such a little more. That’s just where I’m at. It could be totally different for you depending on what kind of pitcher you are, where you are in your development etc. so like I said before, I’m not sure if this is helpful. But I do know that if you work hard and work smart good things will happen.

Oh, I almost forgot…tennis. Tennis really helps me condition. the arm motions involved in tennis don’t affect the way I throw at all. I’ll often play 2 and a half hours of heavy duty tennis two or three times a week in the morning and still be able to throw (quite successfully) that same evening. Again, that’s just the process of finding what works for me. What works for me won’t necessarily work for you but once you find out what does, you’ll know and success will follow.