Winkelman 1-17-11

I made these yesterday. I felt really good towards the end of my short bullpen, so that would be top video from the side. I feel like those were my best mechanics.

I don’t see my break hand hitching and I believe that my arm isn’t lagging like it was. I was thinking hip then up and I think that worked. Not sure about the hip shoulder separation and rotation though. I don’t believe I was using my drive leg to it’s full use yesterday because I was so focused on my upper half, but in the first video I think it looks pretty good.

I felt like I was throwing pretty well, hopefully I was. Thanks in advance!

In my signature there’s a link to my channel, you can visit my channel on youtube and see what my older videos looked like, if you would like something to compare.

I’m also going to put a poll on here. Let me know if you don’t want one on here, but I’m curious if you all think my mechanics are looking better.

Thanks again!

Any speed guesses would be much appreciated as well. I didn’t bring my gun with me that day.

No suggestions? hmm must be perfect? haha :stuck_out_tongue:

My coach mentioned today that my mechanics weren’t consistent and was the main cause of my wildness. I think my inconsistencies start with my trying to get my arm up sooner and not let it lag.

I think my clips on this thread are pretty consistent. At least the two from the side are. Especially the one with my most views from the side. I believe I throw every one of them in the same spot without really trying too.

How does my arm action look? that was probably the biggest thing I was working on when I was throwing that day.

Let me know what you guys think about my arm action. But i would love any other comments about my motion. I’m always looking for suggestions.

Thanks!

The clips look fairly consistent to me. Your arm action looks much improved from the last set of videos. You still might be dragging with the arm a little bit but overall looks good.

I feel like I just need to have the same movement with my arm every time. I was pretty bad the other day control wise, and I think it was mainly caused by my arm action.

Consistency is the key, but you already know that. The variance I do see is the takeaway as your hand leaves the glove. At times you’re longer than others. When you are longer, that seems to be when you’re rushing the arm, and pulling across a bit.

That’s basically what my high school pitching coach was saying the other day.

It hasn’t been long since I have broken my bad arm path habit, but it’s encouraging to see that I have the ability to have a good one. I just need to have a repeatable motion.

My high school coach told me that he is going to have me pause at leg lift and then go through my motion to work on that.

I know that the leg lift pause drill can be a bad drill to do, but I believe that it will help me. Hopefully it does.

I don’t think I’m using my legs to their full potential in these clips, but I really want to have good arm action before I try to use my legs more because of the increase stress from throwing faster.

Plus good arm action could fix timing problems I may have and help my velocity increase before I shift my focus to my leg drive and hip/shoulder rotation completely

My high school’s pitching coaching was a former minor league pitcher and got hurt at some point during his career. He might have some flaw in his mechanics or just because of the time period of when he pitched.

But that’s off topic. His name is Bill Gearhart. If anyone wants to look him up. It’s pretty hard to find info on him though.

Any-who, I’m pitching today and I’m will be continuing to focus on having consistent arm action with all my pitches.

I think your arm action overall looks good. Maybe some of the inconsistency in the takeaway is coming from your initial movement with the ball still in the glove.

In your older videos there was less movement before takeaway. Now there is more movement before takeaway with an inconsitent takeaway, but better arm action.

Simply put, I think the consistency will come, as it is, for lack of a better term, mostly better. I would keep working toward that goal without substantial changes.

At the end of your release cycle, you’re bailing out. Your head does not stay focused on the target down range - but instead, your eyes get fixed on something on the ground in front of you, just off to your left.

This is a habit that all rookies seem to develop when applying brute force to their release.

Your pitching cycle is just that - a cycle that starts and finishes without alteration of any kind. At this stage in your career, you have power - youthful power that’ll serve you well as get a older. Now is the time to temper that physical ability of yours and channel it with postures that’ll compliment your appearance, game after game.

Stop bailing out of the finish. Keep your head driving towards your target and KEEP IT GOING IN THAT DIRECTION. Stay focused after your relase to keep pointing towards your target instead of doing a Peter Pan off to your left.

I’ve seen countless pitchers get into this habit with an end result of being very week to the Peter Pan side on the bunt.

Another suggestion - drop’g your arms down, and below your belt line, can rob a power guy like you of MPH - accuracy being a constant and a given. Try and raise your hands when they come together at the middle of your chest - AND KEEP YOUR HANDS THERE, then break your hands without drop’g them and then start your drive forward … KEEP THAT HEAD IN YOUR CYCLE, DON’T BAIL.

I should note that many pitchers who go deeper into innings later in a game, will drop their arms at or below the belt line, THEN break their hands. This is a normal sign of fatique on the shoulders and arms. It’s not a point of concern, UNTIL the pitcher starts missing the inside - left or right on a batter. Why? Because with a lower hand/arm posture down around the beltline, draws a lot more swing in the motion of the arms. Unfortunately, some pitchers can’t reach back with the same control on this posture, a control that they would have had in the early innings at the begin’g of a game.

Coach B.

I will work on those things. The make a lot of sense. Thanks for pointing those things out.

I will post a video on here next week most likely, so I have a chance to work on my mechanics a little bit.

I think keeping my hands from breaking below my waist will help to keep my arm action more consistent. And that head thing makes total sense. I feel dumb for not doing it already. You can’t hit consistently what you’re not looking at.

Thanks for the help!

In your top video, at .04, .16, .28, .39, .52, and at 1.14, notice that your glove and hands are still together and breaking at your back shoulder.

Your taking away a lot of “pop” from your delivery, thus reducing your MPH.
Also, if you happen to have a slider in your pitch inventory, every time you break your hands in this fashion, notice how the slider doesn’t break as sharp as it should. I would suggest breaking your hands sooner at the center of your chest. In fact, if you watch your self playing catch, you’ll notice that you do break your hands more to the center of yourself than towards the back.

Here’s what I’d like you to do:

Take video of you just playing a game of catch. Be nice and relaxed, be fluid and go with the flow. Take lots of this video at one sitting.

Now take a lot of time to plan and watch this video, being patient to study what your body does naturally without the brute force of trying to throw the ball through a brick wall.

[size=18]* [/size] take note of how soon you break your hands
[size=18][/size] take note of WHERE your hands are went they break
[size=18]
[/size] take note of how and where your shoulders compliment your throwing posture - nothing is rushed or strained
[size=18]*[/size] and last but not least, notice how your face and eyes stay focused on your target.

Take these notes on a pad of paper and bring it to the field, in door practice practice session, etc. Repeat these things to yourself over and over again. Then take video of yourself. compare the two videos and see how well you match up.

Finally, every single rookie amateur does exactly like you do when their on an indoor pitching mound - they fire away without trying to perfect the basics that support a foundation to their style and posture. So, video yourself going slow and easy at first, perfecting a posture perfect form that fits you and your physique, style and comfort - all designed to give you the highest strike percentage possible on your target 60’ away. I see that you pitch to a “square targe”. Well, try and get a 90% strike percentage in that square. Go slow at first, like I mentioned taking video of yourself from the side. Everytime you hit inside the square - point to the camera. Then take video of yoursefl going slow from the back - again when you hit the square point to the camera.

When you feel confident, crank up the pace. Again, when you hit your square point to the camera.

More often than not, when you miss your target, it’s because your overpowering your body’s ability to control itself- take it down a notch and regain control.

Practice as often as you can and soon you’ll develop a smooth grove that’ll work for you. It doesn’t take all that long. Watch and re-watch your video and take notes on a pad, coach yourself as to how disciplined you are about addressing what works for you.

Coach B.

Watch this youngster go through his paces. Watch how is forward motion with his upper body, then rotating his shoulders, compliments a complete pitching cycle.

This pitcher is not going full game speed, and with good reasons. He’s either just starting, working his body into a pattern of consistent movement, or something else. In any event, without detailing everything is what this pitcher is trying to do, take not of his upper body postures - that is what I was trying to have you focus on with my last set of remarks.

By the way, if this pitcher was going full game speed with his deliver, he wouldn’t be using a set gym spring boards. I have no idea how this guy can maintain any kind of concentration using that stuff. In any event, when he decides to go full-bore, his forward motion will be more deliberate, lower and foward - thus releasing all that energy to the ball down range.

Best wishes with your progress.

Coach B.

Thanks Coach B! I will post another video on here once I am do a lot of work on my mechanics.

The arm thing makes complete sense(about breaking my hands sooner). It is probably the main cause of my inconsistent arm action.

Pitching with my high school will be picking up more and more. Travel will pick up for a little bit, but then stop once high school baseball officially starts.

I will probably spend most of my high schools season feeling out my mechanics and hopefully finding consistent mechanics that will promote accuracy and will be repeatable.

I will try to post another video in the next couple of weeks or whenever I feel like I corrected my mechanics more.

Thanks Coach B, again, for all your tips. I will defiantly be working on that in the upcoming days!

I think slowing everything down will help a lot. If a car can’t go straight at 10 mph, it won’t at 50 mph. haha :stuck_out_tongue:

Any other tips, drill, advice, etc. are more the welcome.

Peace!

I found this stop action picture of your finish posture.

Here’s a good lesson in how amazing the human body is to adapt and balance itself during activity. In this picture above, we find the usual posture of ending a pitch. The left side of your body is leaning over -BUT - notice the right side of your body holds your leg out, thus balancing off your stance. All of this mind you, is a natural function of the body’s balance system. The picture below will show you with yellow lines drawn how your hips act like your center point, while one side of your body is balanced off by another side.

Unfortunately, pitch wise, a lot of your “umph!” and down range MPH is being retarded by this balancing act. How? By not allowing your core, which should be a little stronger, to bend straight forward at the waist and rotating your shoulders to extend your pitching arm a little straighter at the release and finish that pitching arm a little more in front of you - not swinging off to the left side

When you can gain enough strength in your core (midsection) your pivot leg will straighten out just a bit more, your left side won’t be leaning as much to the left, and you’ll notice greater control of the strike zone - the entire zone. Check out the picture below and you’ll see what I mean.

Now everything that I’ve mentioned thus far is HARD WORK, very hard work. You will, without a doubt, get frustrated, tired and fatigued while addressing these suggestions. Then one day, out of the blue this will all come together. And when it does, you won’t notice at first - but others will, and they’ll tell you.

I see a lot of potential in you. I also see a pitcher in the making - not some youngster who is throwing a ball around. So look, take your time here and focus, make notes, take video after video of what you do and review it.

I have business to address, so I won’t be back on this site for a while, but, keep at it. You impress me as a man who’s going places in this sport and somebody to be reckoned with on the field of competion. I know talent when I see it - I see it in you. Keep at it.

If I’m not being too personal, what part of the country do you live in? If you don’t want to answer that here, use the PM or E-mail function on the web site.

Coach B.

I live in Northeast Ohio. About 20 minutes west from Akron(where Lebron grew up)

I look forward to your input whenever you’re back on here. I will be working hard, you can bet! I want to pitch as long as someone lets me! haha :stuck_out_tongue: