Windup?

Lately, I’ve been throwing from the stretch, and I feel more comfortable pitching that way rather than the windup. So my question is, do I really need a windup to get to get somewhere with pitching?

If you plan to be a starter, yes, you need to be able to go from the full. If you plan on being a reliever or closer type pitcher, then I would say that you don’t need one. I think the full is the best way to go for a pitcher though, because you produce much more momentum compared to going from the stretch. Is the reason that you like the stretch better is that you can get better footing on the rubber so you can get better push-off? That is one thing I hear from teammates and kids that I coach. If you don’t feel comfortable in the full then go from the stretch in games and work on the full in practice. But you have to get used to the full. Work on balance, thats the key to a good full motion.

With all due respect I must present the other side here … I see absolutely no facts that suggest you lose velocity by throwing from the stretch . There is no reason that a starter at any level needs to pitch from a full windup, the bottom line is consistent results ( ie., balance ) .

[quote=“terprhp”]With all due respect I must present the other side here … I see absolutely no facts that suggest you lose velocity by throwing from the stretch . There is no reason that a starter at any level needs to pitch from a full windup, the bottom line is consistent results ( ie., balance ) .[/quote]Name one pitcher that goes from the full as a starter? You can’t, because of this, pitching coaches WILL make them throw from the full.

I think both of you are saying something correct, on one hand yes most pitching coaches, at least the ones i know preach the windup. Im not sayin thats how it should be done but thats what i see. Also there are relievers who just throw from the windup so i mean it cant be all that bad.

[quote=“alanshadow22”]I think both of you are saying something correct, on one hand yes most pitching coaches, at least the ones i know preach the windup. Im not sayin thats how it should be done but thats what i see. Also there are relievers who just throw from the windup so i mean it cant be all that bad.[/quote]Yes, i agree that it’s fine for a relief pitcher, but there has never been a starting pitcher that has thrown from the stretch with no runners on base.

Valid point, also, i imagine most pitchers start throwing around little league and there is no leadoffs therefore ive never seen a little leaguer throw fomr the stretch. I think part of it may just be its easier for balance and building up the momentum.

[quote=“alanshadow22”]Valid point, also, i imagine most pitchers start throwing around little league and there is no leadoffs therefore ive never seen a little leaguer throw fomr the stretch. I think part of it may just be its easier for balance and building up the momentum.[/quote]Yeah, I teach the stretch to my little league players and suggest that they use it when people are on base even though they cant get a lead so they can be prepared for babe ruth and legion ball.

Why is it ok for a reliever to throw from the stretch with no one on, but wrong for a starter? Doesn’t make much sense to me.

your right, it doesnt make too much sense at all. that just seems to be the way it is done. i suppose that the reason major league relievers are doin the windup the whole time is because alot of times they are brought into games with runners on. just a guess.

[quote=“nd943”]Why is it ok for a reliever to throw from the stretch with no one on, but wrong for a starter? Doesn’t make much sense to me.[/quote]its because they havent had enough time to get used to the mound, keep in mind, starters warm up hours before games, relievers get maybe 5 minutes sometimes.

No you are right. When relievers at my school warm up they always are warming up from the stretch cus more than likely the starter is tiring and maybe there is a runner or two on so its just the norm for them.