Will my pitching program increase my fastball speed?

Hi i am 15 years old and has never pitched in my life but one day in PE class i pitched and threw in the mid-low eighties and my teacher said i could develop as a pitcher. Do you think by throwing 100 fastballs maximum force every two-three days i could maybe increase my pitching velocity to mid-low nineties? or increase my velocity at all or how long you think it would take three month?

First of all mid 80’s for a 15 year old is pretty high, especially for someone who has never pitched before, not that its not possible. Secondly, the likelyhood of you going from mid-80s to mid 90’s in three months is less likely. However, age is on your side, you will likely continue to grow and strenghten. It is near impossible to predict what any throwing program will do for anybody but if you throw regularly and maybe get some advice from a coach it would be very possible to get into the 90’s before graduation.

like i said i don’t know much about pitching i only know that my pe teacher was impressed and was planning to put me on baseball team but does this mean i have no chance of ever being someone like brandon league or nolan ryan with like high nineties fastball?

if you really are throwing mid 80’s at 15 then you have a chance at a major league fastball if you can control it…being like nolan ryan however is a whole different story

No. I don’t think that throwing 100 fastballs every other day or every third day is the best pitching program to develop a 90 mph fastball. I’m not sure if it’s even safe.

Major League pitchers, for example, don’t even throw 100 max-out fastballs every third day. They throw in games every fifth day (with some different types throwing in between, of course, like long toss work, bullpen work and PFP drills).

A better program to develop good velocity may be to throw daily for at least 10-or-so minutes, extending to 120 feet. Once a week, you may try long tossing as far as you can to break up the monotony of the 120-foot throwing performed on the other days. Twice a week, throw a bullpen not exceeding 60-or-so pitches. (During the bullpen session work on hitting your spots; work on your mechanics; work on your release-point and throwing “through” the target.)

Just some suggestions.

Your best bet is to talk with the high school coach at your school. Ask him to watch you throw a side. That way, you can get a little more hands-on-guidance about how you should next proceed with your development.

At 15 years old, I was throwing 73-75mph (and I threw 93-94 mph later in my career). Low-80s is WAY ahead of the game at your age – which is why you really need to talk with the high school coach at your school so you can get some direction in your continued development.

is long toss and bullpen sessions what you did and do you think a guy could survive with just a fastball in the big leagues? and does jumping or running fast get you to throw faster cuz i run and jump higher than my classmates. and do you think batters will bite on fastballs of my around 80s in highschool but in bad location cuz i can’t really hit ne spots right now

You really need to work on spots. I threw mid to upper 80s in high school, but that was were I could keep the ball consistantly in the zone. If you really think about it, it does no good to throw hard. I dont think anyone is going to “bite” on a ball that is going to the backstop or in the other batters box everytime :lol: You need to try and learn to his the plate, consistancy and command is the key. When you learn to keep it in the zone then you can learn to increase your velocity as you gain more and more command.

I dont think you could survive on a fastball in the big leagues, even billy wagner gets hit (100+ mph). I sit about 89-92 through the game and have been know to flirt with 94+ in the game and I have even had batters sitting on my fastball.

FUNNY STORY

We played South Dakota State and their #3 batter came to the plate and we were up 7-0 at the time so I decided to challenge him. So he fouled 2 fastballs back and on the third I just thought I could blow it right by him, well needless to say when I got the ball back it was lopsided on the right side of the baseball from where he CRUSHED IT :slight_smile: after talking with an associate scout he told me it came in at about 94 unfortunatly it went out at about 106 :lol:

moral of the story placement is key in every aspect of baseball and you always need more than 1 pitch. I personally throw 4. Fastball, circle change, overhand curve, and slider

Hope this helps

Ryan

should i stay with my age group and work on my location velocity and other pitches? and how long did it take you guys to learn other pitches like change up curveball slider splitter cutter sinker?

Steve, what is a PFP? And what is a good distance for working long toss to for a 10 yr old. I read you say work out to 120 ft which is where Jon is now. He ‘airs it out’ to about 150 ft…

Also, how do I include the blue box that says ‘Steve Wrote:’?

Thanks a ton!

Just click on the little “Quote button” on the upper right side of any post and the forum will automatically insert the quote tags for that post. Then, just cut out what you don’t want to quote to include (because otherwise, it’ll quote the entire post) and you’re good to go.

PFP simply means Pitchers-Fielding-Practice. You know, like throwing to bases, run-downs, pick-offs, etc. In college and pro ball, the coach would say: “Let’s work on PFPs,” which meant it was time to focus on position-specific throwing drills for pitchers with the pitching coach.

Thanks Steve for the answers late on a Sunday night. How about the 120ft though? Jon is long tossing out to 120 ft now (10 yr old) and ‘airs it out’ to 150 ft. As long as he is still on a line and hitting my chest area should I be concerned about over exertion?

Good question, J.D. My 10 year olds throw 120’ max but many of them can’t make it that far on a line.

My 10 year olds throw 120’ max but many of them can’t make it that far on a line.[/quote]

The 120-foot distance is a good spot for high school, college and pro pitchers to expand to on days when all-out long toss is not the focus of the throwing program. For 10 year olds, the distance should be adjusted (shorter, likely) to one where the youth pitcher can make consistent throws on a line to his throwing partner.

You’ll hear me refer to a 10-Minute Throwing Program regularly on my forum, blog and Web site. It’s based on a throwing program used in the Chicago Cubs organization, but it could certainly be adjusted for youth pitchers (10-13 year olds) as follows:

10-Minute Throwing Program for Youth Pitchers

3 min @ 45 feet
3 min @ 60 feet
3 min @ 75-90 feet
1 min @ 45 feet (working on spins, two-seam sinker ball grip, etc.)

And then, of course, on days where the emphasis is on airing it out, work to a comfortable distance where the throwing mechanics do break down entirely – but there can and should be a little more of an arc on the throws.

hi I just turned 13 and am 5 4 110 pounds and wondering…How much velocity could i gain in one year. I now throw high 50s low 60s

no. u will probably hurt your arm

first of all i dont beleive you, and second of all if you really are throwing that hard you might wanna develop a good change up instead of working so hard on getting more speed. If you are already throwing low 80s then you dont need to kill on speed training, work on spots, arm endurance, and a changeup would be devastating.

Since it sounds like you dont really have background in baseball, your inaccuracy is probably just your body and mind not being used to it. The more you throw the more accurate you will become because it will become natural and your muscles will develope muscle memory so you wont have to think it will just happen. Having the high school coach help with mechanics will only increase your control. If i were you i would focus on a change up as your other pitch. Go look through the forums or the articles and im sure you will find a grip that works. Im sure most will agree with me on that (i hope lol).

I made a mistake when i first started in trying other pitches instead of developing the change up. Now adays i have trouble throwing it. the earlier you learn it the earlier you can perfect it and make batters wiff.

old

Since you have never pitched it is most important to have balance at first. I do not think throwing 100 pitches every other day is going to increase your velocity, though you are a perfect candidate to seek specialized instruction. What i would recommend is that you find a pitching instructor that can work with you before you start throwing a ton of pitches. That way you do not develop any nasty habits that need to be corrected. What I mean is that if you have a great pitching coach you could not only throw fast, but develop great control. Good Luck and have fun :slight_smile:

I just want to say one more thing and that is it is not unreasonable to have a kid throw in the low 80’s at age 15. I know of 5 right off the top of my head. I just want to say this so that people will understand it is completely possible to have velocity of that type. I dislike people stating they do not believe it is possible or that someone is lying. I think we should encourage others to reach their potential on this site, it is all about becoming better at baseball.