Will i get called for a balk?

I want to know if i will get a balk called if i pitch using Tim Lincecum’s Wind-up…Most are probably like well he doesn’t get called so your fine but i have noticed that him and also Felix Hernandez only have 1 foot on the mound but In Little League i don’t know if they will call a Balk for it.

Well…I don’t know about Little League, but I imagine you’d be all right as long as you have one foot in contact with the rubber. Rule 8.03 of the Official baseball Rules covers various situations under which a balk may be called, but it doesn’t mention the situation you describe. So go ahead, use Lincecum’s windup if you wish. 8)

I don’t think so, especially in little league where the umping is much more laxed than at the higher levels. But even still, both those guys keep a foot in contact with the rubber, which is right.

Trick question. There are no balks in Little League. :mrgreen:

Even thought I’m a Giants fan I wouldn’t suggest using Tim Lincecum’s windup.

1. It honestly is a dangerous windup. His stride length is more than 100% of his height when the usual is 80-90%! His shoulder-hip seperation is amazing and he bends his back a little too much.
  2. You should do whatever works for you and that usually means something unique and not copying Tim Lincecum.
    Sorry I didn’t answer your question. Just some insight :smiley:

Good Luck!

P.S. If what works for you is actually Timmy’s windup, then go for it :slight_smile:

I umped jr. high ball this year and noticed a kid pitching with only one foot on the mound. I thought it was a balk. But the kids coach, who was an ump during the high school season, told me that as long as they have one foot on they are able to go through the wind up and not get called for a balk.

So to answer your question. No its not a balk, but someone that doesnt know might call it one.

And yes, in Little League there are no Balks. Jr. High it is also rarely called as well in the league I ump, but if it has something to do with them picking a runner off a base or a catcher catching them stealing, then it does get called. Although in their tourney everything is called.

If you look, Tim Linecum DOES NOT pitch from a windup. When a pitcher is pitching from the windup, he must have both feet in contact with the rubber and face the batter. In any division above little league, what Tim Linecum does is a balk, because you are NOT allowed to take the extra step to the side if you are in a set position, which is what he does…

Now, as far as Little League, the Little League case book (“The Right Call”) says that in Little League and under, (not Junior, Senior, or Big Leagues) from the set position, a pitcher IS allowed to take that extra step without it being called an illegal pitch.

However, if I was on the field, and you did a windup step from the set position in any division from Middle School to HS, I would call an illegal pitch, resulting in a ball on the batter (HS is immediate dead ball) or in Juniors, Seniors, or Big League, the batter would get a free swing at your pitch, and if he gets a hit, the hit stands… otherwise, he gets a ball.

Just the rule book interpretations for your stuff.

Lincecum isn’t set on the mound. He keeps the ball in his hand behind his back and starts his motion then brings the ball into the glove. So it really isn’t a balk, it’s really just an old school delivery.

From what I’ve seen of the videos, he does not have both feet on the rubber facing the batter. If he only has one foot on the rubber, and does not bring his hands together, and then STOP… that’s a balk… However, I’ve only seen a few videos… am I missing that he is in fact starting in a proper windup position?

“if you look, Tim Linecum DOES NOT pitch from a windup. When a pitcher is pitching from the windup, he must have both feet in contact with the rubber and face the batter”

C’mon, get a copy of the OBRs and read it if you’re really into ump’ing:

8.00 The Pitcher

8.01 Legal pitching delivery: There are two legal pitching positions, the Windup Position and the Set Position, and either may be used at any time.

8.01(a) The Windup Position. The pitcher shall stand facing the batter, his pivot foot in contact with the pitcher’s plate and the other foot free. From this position any natural movement associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter commits him to the pitch without interruption or alteration. Etc, etc…

First, the poster was talking about NFHS and Little League… I am not familiar with OBR because I don’t do any leagues that involve it. Also… you’re right… the non-pivot foot does not have to be in contact with the rubber… only the pivot food does… AND both feet must be on or behind a line going through the front edge of the pitcher’s plate.

So, I am sorry for the misinformation when I said that both feet have to be in contact with the rubber. BUT… if you only have one foot in contact, the other foot cannot be completely in front of the rubber. That’s what I was saying I saw in the Lincecum youtube videos.

Look, man, NFHS and Little League rules are largely derived from the OBRs, the Official Baseball Rules of MLB. If you actually know there are specific NFHS or LL rules supporting what you say, you should quote them and please be specific. My guess is that NFHS and LL rules defer to the OBRs on this matter but, if they don’t, I’d like to hear the exact rules.

In any case, Tim Lincecum pitches under the OBRs.

There is nothing in the OBRs to say that the pitcher’s free foot cannot be completely in front of the rubber.

It is completely legal under the OBRs, for example, to start the wind-up with just the heel of your pivot foot in contact with the front edge of the rubber and your free foot out in front of the rubber.

Some guys prefer to start from one end of the rubber, such that their free foot is off to the side and partially out front.

Hopefully, the NFHS and LL rule versions have not inserted any needless and arbitrary revisions to the OBRs in this area…

NFHS 6-1-2 When in the windup position, a pitchers non-pivot foot shall be in any position on or behind a line extending through the front edge of the pitchers plate so if the heel is in contact with the line the foot can extend in front…

NFHS

6-1-2 Windup position

…The pitcher’s non-pivot foot shall be in any position on or behind a line extending through the front edge of the pitcher’s plate

6-1-3 Set position
… The pitcher’s entire non-pivot foot shall be in front of a line extending through the front edge of the pitcher’s plate and his entire pivot foot shall be in contact with or directly in front of the pitcher’s plate.

From what I saw in the videos, Linecum is in the set position, but going through a windup motion… Since the question is based on LL and NFHS, and neither of those books defer, refer, or have anything to do with OBR… that’s how I was answering.

But… thank you… because I had to dig out my LL Case Book, and I have to eat a little crow here… darn all these different books. In “The Right Call” the little league casebook, it says that for the pitcher to be considered in the set position, he must have his pivot foot in contact with the pitcher’s plate, his free foot in front of the pitcher’s plate, AND both hands together in front of his body.

If the young man who originally posted has one hand behind his body and assumes what in every other way would be a set position, but does not have his hands together, he is considered in a windup position, with all the rights and restrictions thereto.

So… thank you for making me dig out the rule book, and I refer to the old umpiring adage… “Any umpire who says he’s never made a bad call is… well, an umpire!”

Lee