Wild playing catch

My son is very accurate when pitching off the mound at full intend but is wild when trying to play catch or warning at less than 100% intent. When he throws the snot out of the ball he is accurate the only way he can throw with less intent and be accurate is when he lobs the throws.

i also used to have this “problem”, although i would not consider it a problem if at full intent he is able to command the ball. I wouldn’t consider this a problem because at what time in a game would you ever throw the ball with low intent?

but to answer your question he most likely does not posses
A) mechanics that are able to be replicated with low intensity
B) A low amount of body control / coordination to the point where he is unable to time the different moving parts of his body at different intensities
C) He has bad feel for the ball

I would suggest simply throwing more with a higher level of conscious thought behind every throw. Timing drills will help immensely and supplement it all with athletic coordination drills such as the step ladder etc.

Thanks, sjlp9 I agree it’s not a problem but it would probably be more healthy for his arm in the long run. He only pitches and gets up into the low 90’s with great command of the FB and CB. He is starting to develop some feel for the C. Just recently he was on a program coming back from a minor elbow strain and have trouble throwing with less intensity. It was never thought about before he has sidelined.

how old is he?

He is 16 yrs 9 months HS junior. I have been throwing with him every day and he is starting to get it. I worked with him on his footwork and arm action for just warning up with less intent no lobs aloud and he is getting better not there yet but starting to show good progress. Improving mentally as well as feeling like he can do it. Link of game pitching.

16 and touching low 90’s is amazing, he has a future ahead of him! Wish him the best of luck and hopefully he figures it out.

Thanks, same to you.

You son lobs the throw? He must be left handed. Right handed pitchers have better aim and left handed pitchers have to lob it in more to be just as accurate!

his son throws low 90’s right handed, you might wanna rethink your statement buddy.

I didn’t know that his son is right handed. I wonder if his son ever heard of a pitch called a Gyroball. The traditional grip is similar to gripping a Football but with just the index and middle fingers and the thump under the ball. He would have to turn his whole body along with the throwing motion and the seams of the 2 Seam Fastball faces the batter spinning just like a Football. The second grip is the same grip of the Screwball but with the index and middle fingers on the center instead of the left side of the ball. The hand is supinated instead of pronated…

1. You commented A) without In depth knowledge of the subject and B) Without reading previous posts

2. Why would I or his son need to Know about the Gyroball? This has nothing to do with the topic at hand

3. Everyone knows about the Gyroball, but the problem here being you trying to teach a stranger on the internet how to throw a not very well researched, Potentially dangerous pitch through text description.

Please think before you comment

The Gyroball is not dangerous and I’m just being a nice guy and if you don’t like it you can kiss my ass

This is what I think, fuck everybody and kiss my 44 year old ass

Wow that was not very nice.

Back to the subject. We are still working on the warm-up. We are doing a lot more before we throw, Plyocare balls, bands and rope drills, and video to see his warm-up mechanics. He basically starts at 70-80 percent after a few very soft throws. He is more accurate and comfortable this way. Hard to change old habits. We realized that it was difficult for him to throw with less intent because he had his first minor setback with an elbow strain. The doctor gave him clearance to throw at steps warm-up and throw 30-50 percent intent and increase every other day and he had trouble doing this.

dude i’ve seen your other comments, You’re either just trolling or your IQ is the literal candle among lightbulbs.

I see, plyocare balls are a very good tool to building feel for the ball however can also be used wrong. Make sure he’s aiming for the same point with the different weighted balls. Being able to locate different weighted balls at different intensities is the key to creating command and feel for the ball. Lot’s of times people tend to spike the lighter weighted balls and miss high with the heavier balls, this leads to creating bad feel for the ball and can actually make your command worse. When I was up at driveline they would stick tape to the plyo wall so we had a spot to aim for with every throw.

Generally just being more coordinated will help with command especially at lower intensities, many times people confuse coordination with explosiveness when it comes to pitching mechanics. Yes you need excellent coordination and explosiveness to throw in the 90’s as evident with your son however it is also possible to compromise and make up for the lack of coordination with extra explosiveness. I haven’t seen your son so i can’t give an assessment on explosiveness and coordination levels, going purely on video and numbers he seems like a high explosive athlete. Coordination work could help and so would creating good repeatable throwing mechanics that are able to be repeated at multiple levels of intensities.

Stability Also plays a big part in command and power production. Being able to command during high intensity throws shows your son has good stability however he may not be activating and utilizing the same muscles for stability during lower intensity throws. for this i suggest testing his backwards lunge. If he’s able to lunge 1.5x his bodyweight (So if he weighs 200 pounds, he should be able to back lung with 300 pounds on the bar) for one rep it shows he has good maximal stability. If he’s able to lunge his body weight for 10x on each leg, it shows he’s able to easily stabilize himself and put himself in a power position reliably. Most likely your son has a high maximal lunge but is not able to perform sub maximal reps for 10. If this is the case i would highly suggest adding sets of lunges for reps to his workout routine. I could be wrong about my assumption however and it his maximal lunge that needs to be improved.

Another thing to take note of is his tempo, or rhythm, when throwing. Often people change their tempo when throwing at different intensities and this could easily mess up command and location. Make a conscious effort when warming up to keep the same tempo whether you’re throwing hard or soft. I’ll often my earphones in and put on a metronome app on my phone. And while i’m throwing all i’m hearing the beat of the metronome so i can keep track of how fast or slow my body is moving and how in sync it is. This is also a very trial and error method where you’re gonna have to throw for a while with a metronome in until you can find a beat or tempo which works. For me warming up i’ll coast around the 160-180 BPM range.

Another possible factor could be the mental aspect of throwing, sometimes thinking too much about command or intensity etc. can have adverse effects. When it comes to throwing it’s better to think less and be more athletic. Having fun while you’re throwing is the most important part and generally being able to throw without the worry of “oh, i HAVE to hit my target”.

Thank you for your time you make some really good points. I will share this with him. We are very careful when it comes to plyocare balls and have taking driveline training courses for in and out of season.

Yup no problem, Best of luck to you and your son!

1 Like