Why???

Why do we place a “mechanical” tag on every adjustment? If a pitcher misses high , “Bend your back”, do the “Hershiser Drill”, etc…

What ever happened to give the kid a goal and don’t let him move forward until he reaches it. The body will begin to make better decisions on how to do it than any of us could ever recommend.

So much of mechanics takes a PhD to comprehend and it leaves more people confused than when they started. And at the end of the day, kids end up on focusing more on what they hear (from others) than what they feel.

You could tell a kid that the stove is hot and he would probably tell others. We could give him advice on the best way to mechanically approach the hot stove. But until that kid touches the stove and gets burnt he will never understand what it means to be hot. “There is a difference between knowing and understanding” (Paul Nyman)

If you want your kid to locate down and away, forget about mechanics this time of year and throw baseball after baseball down and away.

To improve a skill I think 3 things must be present:

1. Narrowed and specific intent b[/b]

2.Immediate feedback through what we see, feel, chart, etc… b[/b]
3. positioning to accomplish intent based on feedback b.

The why is all in the name…coach.
The issue is that if a player is unsuccessful, the connotation and “conventional wisdom” is for the "coach’ to fix it.
We don’t spend much time increasing coaching competencies as a rule (With very notable exceptions).

Putting myself in the shoes I fit in 30 years ago…It was desire to help my kid, coupled with the skills and observations I brought off of the field as a player and as a lover of the art…I had no idea how to develop a kids potential, so I tended to coach off of cliche and how I was trained. As I read many forums, I can see so many that are treading this ground.
So Thinktank, that is my contention…inexperience or just enough knowledge to be dangerous causes the condition to exist and the fix is working tirelessly…or heck you can get tired every now and then :wink: …but helping where we can to drive knowledge and compentancy training into the sport at the league level…of course that isn’t free.

When you hear a guy say…“sometimes it’s just best to let him work through it (This, his situation…etc.)”…you’ll know he’s been down the road and intervention at some points is counter-productive…this takes the real understanding of the vocation that some untrained person may just miss.

A big AMEN to this post. Couldn’t agree more.

The Pitching Coach that I reported to when I first started out had this opinion:
These guys are grown men who are professionals, getting paid good money to perform as professionals. It’s up to them to work things through and figure things out.

At the time I didn’t say much nor did I think beyond paycheck to paycheck. People came and went because of any little mood swing, wrong word, or just looks. It wasn’t until I filled his shoes and got approached by a very young hurler that I finally realized just how important the right information, when and how it’s brought across could be to a man trying to make a living out this.

I tried what worked for me when I was playing. I totally neglected the sensitivity of the human condition to adapt and carry itself – sometimes without coaching, and when it needed a little observation, patience and guidance.

To make a long story short, if it wasn’t for another coach who knew a lot more than I did, I would have ruined that man and his ability to earn a meager living for him and his new bride.

Now, here’s the kicker – I was named on every pass-out/game day program - with picture , as pitching coach. However, I was given strict marching orders … don’t touch anything! My spot in the bullpen was pretty much cast in stone.

I wish there was a JD back then that wrote that last piece so I could read it. It would have saved me
a lot of grief. Nice going JD. :hi:

Coach B.

Well said JD

The dreaded double post…

My bad for the triple post

Why, indeed.
Several years ago I did a presentation for the Jack Graney chapter of SABR in Cleveland—about pitching coaches. As a part of this presentation I divided the coaches I had researched into four different groups—like zoo specimens. There were the pitching coaches, many of whom were or had been pitchers themselves, who could do and could coach and teach. There were some who had never pitched but who had made an extensive study of pitching and who could coach and teach. There were some who had pitched but who, when it came to coaching, stank on hot ice. And there were those who could do neither—the hopeless cases. And we have seen all of them at all levels of the game, from the major leagues on down.
In the course of events the “why” will come up—someone will want to know why this and why that. For example: the coach who has fixed ideas about things, such as arm slots and arm angles. He wants to change a young pitcher’s arm slot, often for no good reason, and when the kid asks why, the coach will often give an answer like “Because”, with no further elaboration, no attempt to explain. And if the kid persists in wanting to know why the coach wants him to make the change, the coach will often show him the door, and that’s that. This same coach is often seen making repeated trips to the mound during a game, not to discuss and maybe encourage the pitcher who has run into trouble, but to hassle and harass and yell at him. A few years ago there was one such, who kept getting dismissed from one team after another because he did this all the time!
Bob Feller, who not only could pitch but could also coach and instruct, issued this warning: “Don’t overcoach.” If only more pitching coaches would heed this advice. :baseballpitcher:

[quote=“Zita Carno”]
Bob Feller, who not only could pitch but could also coach and instruct, issued this warning: “Don’t overcoach.” If only more pitching coaches would heed this advice. :baseballpitcher:[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: AWESOME! Maybe the best quote I have seen in a long time.

I just posted an article on my site with Bob Feller as an example about coaching, intent and mechanics.

https://baseballthinktank.com/ingredient-1-intent

Right on thinktank lovin’ the site and articles!

x2 :!: