Why would scouts waste their time?

lets just say you go to a showcase… now say you throw about 88, and the guy next to you throws 92? now, my question is wont all the scouts be going after him? and will there be anything for the guy throwing 88?

Well the question is are they college or pro scouts? What level? What’s your other stuff like? Are you a righty or a lefty?

The 88 mph guy will definitely get looks if he’s a lefty.

You have to remember there are scouts for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, Juco and all those levels of college. And as far as the pros go there are MLB scouts that will probably be looking for a potential major leaguer. Then there are Independent Professional Leagues that might be looking at a lower level of talent as far as what they believe are gettable and still good enough to be successful at the professional level.

A long time ago, I had my first real opportunity to graze for talent - scout.

I’d deliberately look for other talent that I saw that might fit the organization, other than pitchers. And there was something to be said for an independent eye, with no bias one-way-or-the-other, not being from the position in question, and simply a “second opinion”.

I sent my fair share of backstops, second basemen*, and third basemen, further on with the evaluation process for cross-checkers and others.

• second baseman seem to be a spot that was being overlooked, or simply a “transplant” position at the time. But, the at-bat of those people impressed me so I added a footnote. A lot of those people turned out pretty good.

So look, your talent and ability can be more dynamic and usable than you think. Be flexible, willing to “talk”, and whatever you do … SMILE, BE PERSONABLE… SMILE.

The people that watch you know a heck of a lot more than you do about the “hustle of the muscle” as we use to call it. Let these people tell you – not the other way around.

I hope that addresses some of your concerns.

Coach B.

yea it definetly does. thanks. i asked this because i was thinking about myself. im pretty sure people at a showcase will be better then me, so i asked myself the question of why they would want me if there is someone who is better then me? thanks for the answers guys

The reason is because not everyone can get the 92 guy. If there are 20 scouts watching the game, only one of them will get the 92 guy. The other 19 will need someone other than him.

Other posters were also correct in that there may be a JUCO or DII scout there who is not even looking for a 92 guy. He may know that the 92 guy will be going to a high level DI, so he is looking for the 86-88 guys to start with.

You never know who is watching and what they are looking for. Go out, do your best and if you’re good enough, someone will notice you and give you a shot.

nymets0893…

You know what can really catch a scout’s eye, a friendly attitude, a great mixer with a personality, and an easy going kind of guy that just fits the baseball image of being a program guy that everyone likes to be around and be with. The kind of guy that gives a little spirit to the club, that guy that never seems to get down-and-out, a real likable personality.

If you’ve got workable talent, something that a coaching staff can work with and provide an even tempered style - you’ve got a pretty good chance of being noticed. And it never ceases to amaze me how sober, serious and sometimes down-right angry some guys are at tryouts and even game time. Baseball is not all nuts-n-bolts - it’s a game. It’s a time to get out there and strut your stuff, say hi to the kids who look up to you … hey, bring a few cheap baseballs and sign-em for the kids, wink at the pretty girls, … be bigger than life. Your in a sharp uniform … this is your time under the sun… go for it!!

Here’s a tip … next time your in a game and a call … strike… is called against you for the first time … step back out of the box… look the plate ump in the eye and say … nice call blue, … good call. Then step back into the box, look down at the catcher and say …" your boy has some good stuff today…"

I guarantee you — you’ll leave an impression that’ll follow you. Good sport, enjoys the game for what it is, a good ball player.

Coach B.

Ask UndersizedRHP about this. He throws near 90 mph but couldn’t get an extended look from scouts because he was “unprojectable.”

If the kid throwing 92 is 5’10" 160 lbs and the kid throwing 88 is 6’6" 250 lbs, I guarantee you that the second kid will get plenty of attention.