Why won't any MLB team hire Leo Mazzone?

This article presents an interesting question about why Leo Mazzone can’t find a job in pro ball – he’s perhaps one of the greatest MLB pitching coaches of all time, based on the number of pitchers under his watch that had stellar HOF careers.

Baltimore, unfortunately, was a disaster for him. But I played for Dave Trembley, the O’s manager during the time Leo was there, and DT was an absolute f***. Literally least favorite person I’ve ever met or played for in the game of baseball. But I digress.

What do you think?

“The first thing my dad ever told me was that there was only one way to have fun playing baseball,” says Mazzone. “And that’s to win.”

I love this quote. It’s so lost today on youth coaches where the star and the scrub both play the same number of innings and get the same number of at bats during the season. Their logic is that their parents paid the same league fees, so they should play the same amount of time and that parents don’t come to games to watch other kids play.

I could just scream when I hear this complete BS.

Great quote.

Under Mazzone, the Braves led the NL in ERA in 12 of his final 14 seasons. He helped develop six Cy Young award winners and had 10 different pitchers named to the All-Star team, including Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and John Smoltz.

In his book The Baseball Economist, J.C. Bradbury titles a chapter, “How Good is Leo Mazzone?” Using statistical analysis, he analyzes whether Mazzone had a significant impact upon the pitchers that he coached. The sample is all pitchers who have pitched at least one year under Mazzone and one year under a different pitching coach. Bradbury found that Mazzone lowered the ERA of pitchers by an average of 0.64 points, and that after leaving Mazzone, pitchers’ ERA increased by an average of 0.78 points.

Tell us how you really feel about DT Steven! Haha that’s an awesome quote in itself.

As a kid watching the Braves in the 90s, I’m still baffled how he doesn’t have a job. Just shows you that baseball is a game of sheep following the fads. If I had an expansion team, Leo would be first on my list.

I’m wondering if part of it is the culture of how PC’s are viewed by not only the athletes but by the front office.

I’m really curious to see if it has something to do with the PC position being seen as a “figurehead position” at the MLB level nowadays, especially with new positions like Pitching Coordinators as well as guys going out and finding their own off season instructors. Too many cooks in the kitchen sort of. This might be why given how firm of a stance Mazzone takes on his approach and how he wants to handle “his” guys.

The data above is interesting - hadn’t seen the before. But there are those that think anyone could be a great pitching coach if they had Mazzone’s staff.

Mazzone was … is … a craftsman. On the other hand, Wales hit it … period. PC’s are there for most… not all… clubs to catch whatever crap comes down stream. I did.

Pitchers at the professional level are as dumb as a fence post (most of them anyway) single minded egos, me-myself-and-I mentality that’s a matter of survival — cultivated by the business . If they don’t cultivate that outlook, they’re fair game for all kinds of crap. Pro ball is a dog-eat-dog business, watch your back, get it while you can. Try and manage, no, survive under that big top.

Now enter a pitching coach who is suppose to manage, monitor and all the stuff that goes along with that. Impossible. A stretch of reasonability that just doesn’t fly. On the flip side of all this is the ego of the PC himself who constantly has to prove his existence and worth. Again, a stretch.

Mazzone should be grateful for the departure. I would. The man is gifted beyond being appreciated. So, I suggest to Mazzone - kick back, sip a Singapore Sling, and watch the dogs chew on each other. Might even pay to be an odds maker in Vegas? Enjoy the time you have left Leo, you got it coming to my friend.