Why should pitchers keep fingers on top of the ball?

I see many gurus say that after you brake your hands, you need to keep fingers on top of the ball (Steven Ellis says this also), my question is why?
Whats wrong with keeping index and midle finger pointed towards second base or pointed to the ground (so thumb is over the ball pointing to the sky)?

One more question, I wanted to show some video clips of profesional pitchers to some kids (14-18 year old), so they understand the proper arm action, who should I use as an example?

Thanks!

keeping your fingers on top of the ball can give straight movement and more veloctiy for a pitch like 4-seam… if you were to have your fingers on the side of the ball on release the ball will move more and less velocity…

Thats at the point of release, but why should pitcher keep fingers on top right after he breaks his hands, and not the way I mention?

Personally, I don’t worry about where the fingers are unless I perceive a problem that I think is cause by the finger position. But that is rare.

Not sure I understand the specific position you’re describing but, in general, as long as the position doesn’t lead to something like inappropriate supination, then it’s not an issue to me.

What’s proper arm action?

I cant find in dictionary what is supination and pronation, please explain.

You asked what proper arm action. Well its just that those kids push the ball or short arm it, thats all.

Extend your throwing arm straight forward in front of you with the palm down. From this neutral position…

Supination is the rotation of the hand in the direction that puts it in a thumb-up, palm-in position. This is the rotation used for the cutter, slider and curve.

Pronation is the rotation of the hand in a direction that puts it in a thumb-down, palm-out position. This is the rotation used for the change-up and screwball.

(Note that the arm position is irrelevant. It was only specified for the purpose of this explanation. What’s important is the direction of the rotation.)