Why isn't my velocity improving?

I’m starting to get discouraged because I put so much time into improving my velo and it’s still very lackluster. I spent a great deal of time working out on my own over the past year and even more over the summer and I only went up 5 mph in that time. I know I don’t have the best frame for pitching(5’7, 127 lbs) but I feel like with all the effort I’ve put into gaining velocity I should be hitting higher than 71. Recently, I’ve been working with a new coach and I made vast improvements to my mechanics but no velo gains were made. Is it just genetics or maybe because I don’t lift weights or something else?

5 mph gain in one year is pretty solid improvement. Have you posted video? If not will be difficult for anyone to offer you suggestions for improvemet.

With respect to athletic performance - we all hit a certain threshold, a ceiling that seems to linger. Youngsters in particular are subject here. Grow and aging has limitations dictated that go hand and hand with athletic abilities. Sometimes, a growth spurt will bring on ability over and above what you’ll be accustomed to, but thins can go totally unnoticed by even the best of athletes. Limitations in size, physical endowments and other things all go into the mix of wanting to do better, but somehow a youngster can feel like there’s an anchor tied around his/her waist.
Now this observation is not going to be of any consolation - but, give yourself time to grow a little more. Just remember that just a short five (5) years ago you were a lot weaker and less athletic than you are now. Give yourself some time - you’ll do just fine. You’ll see.

Don’t worry man, I’d recommended trying to get into the weight room, I was stuck from 12-14 at 62-65 and just yesterday after a summer in the weight room and some mechanical changes hit 71 hoping to hit 75 in March. Just keep working and results will come.

You’ll get a lot of advice about weights, bands, workouts and stuff like that as you ask your questions. The main thing to remember is that there is a right and wrong way to employ all workouts and techniques.
In all my years of experience with dealing with mature, experienced pitchers, none of them… I repeat… none of them “hit the weights” with the heavy stuff. They all paid attention to the diet and nutrition route first, then simple workouts that employed floor exercises - pullups, sit-ups, pushups, light treadmills, and squats… any weight was usually around 10 pounds and under.
Now I know this will sound rather unusual but… a group of guys bought this old used, beat up, Honda Civic for about $20, and pushed and pulled the thing back and forth in our parking lot. They did this for hours. No real stress, tons of laughs, and talk about working out the legs, back and shoulders and a lot of sweat. Then they took large liquid laundry soap bottles, filled them with water, and did their arm and shoulder exercises. Ultimately the stadium ownership had us remove the car, and other issues popped up with the bottles, but the creativeness of using one’s imagination did the most with the least. My point being, you don’t need expensive gym equipment, nor do you require membership in a gym. The simple stuff works just fine.
*** By the way, anyone considering a career in the Independent Leagues may want to do their homework on the lifestyle of making a living in that business ****