Why is my elbow so low? (video included)

View My Video
http://tinypic.com/r/zuknwy/7
Side View

View My Video
http://tinypic.com/r/245kawk/7
Front View

This is a problem I’ve been having trouble fixing. It’s causing my fastball to come in flat and I’m guessing increases my risk of arm injuries. Whenever I try to get my elbow up the only thing I succeed in adjusting is my forearm slot, which doesn’t help.

My dad mentioned that it might be because I don’t tilt my shoulders. I remember reading that Tom House teaches not to tilt your shoulders because it moves your head left of the center of gravity, however nearly every major league pitcher I watch tilts their shoulders to some degree, with Lincicum being an extreme example. Is this something I should be trying to do in order to get my elbow up?

Feel free to mention anything else that looks wrong as well =)

Your question of, Why is my elbow so low? is answered by your arm angle is because you throw nearly sidearm, this means that things like tilt etc doesn’t exactly pertain to your arm mechanics. The movement on your fastball should move more left and right and have sink action to it. Changing your natural mechanics can come with some very bad issues, so getting your ball to move I think you need to consider yourself a sidearm pitcher and the question should be, “How can I get more movement as a sidearmer”, there are plenty here that will give you great suggestions.

I think BU is correct. With these new videos it looks like your just a little conflicted. You arm wants to throw sidearm but you are getting a little shoulder tilt like you are a low 3/4’s guy. I froze it at release and your throwing shoulder looks a couple of inches higher than your glove side but your elbow is the same ht. as the glove side shoulder. Maybe just keep your shoulders level through release point with what is apparently your natural side arm slot. See how that feels.

So instead of trying to get the elbow up just level your shoulders.

Thanks, will work on it and see how it goes.

And as a sidearmer—which, after reading all this, I strongly suspect you are—you have a weapon at your disposal that you may not have been aware of. That’s the crossfire. It’s a beautiful and lethal move that works only with the sidearm delivery, and it will give you double the number of pitches in your arsenal. And here’s how it works. Say you’re a righthander. You go into your windup, or the stretch, depending on whether there are runners on base or not—but instead of delivering the ball straight to the plate, you take a step toward third base, whip around with your whole body and fire the pitch in to the plate from that angle. To the batter it will look as if the pitch is coming at him from third base, and he will either jump to get out of the way or just freeze in his tracks as the pitch clips the corner for a nice juicy strike. (Of course, if the pitcher is a southpaw he goes via first base.)
I was a natural sidearmer, and I fell so in love with the crossfire that I used it extensively, a fact which was not lost on my pitching coach—one day he was helping me resolve a problem I was having with my circle change, and he said to me “I know you’re going to crossfire it. You use that move with everything you throw.” Indeed I did, and it used to give batters no end of conniption fits! :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher:

I forget the guy’s name, but in 09 the Giants had this 78mph righty from the bullpen throwing from wayyyyy into his arm side with some success. Hitters on both sides of the plate had more swing throughs than I’ve ever seen, but he had some challenges pitching to location and only made a few appearances.

Anyway, the only thing I would add is that you seem to go from a very high elbow (inverted W and nothing wrong with it) immediately to dropping your elbow into sling/whip delivery with very little extension on your release.

If you want to play around and see how your movement velocity are affected I would try for a little more shoulder tilt and extension—you don’t need to raise your elbow, just extend a bit more and your elbow will be higher.

Maybe throw some BP from behind an L screen and try for a long, forward reach around the frame, something like that to get a feel.

Another thing side armers should consider:

Your step may be shorter and less direct, and your delivery certainly is very indirect. This usually means the distance from your release to the batter’s hit zone is going to be several inches longer than normal. That can actually be an asset (longggg sliders) further affecting the hitter’s timing.