Why Don't More Baseball Players Do This?

Latest article, enjoy!

http://baseballthinktank.com/why-dont-more-baseball-players-do-this/

Because folks don’t “teach” success, it is “assumed” that somehow guys just “understand” that you have to do certain things…well, they don’t. One of the main reasons I’ve been an active poster and mentor for all these years is that kids desperately want to learn…it’s just that many times the coach is “old school”, where guys learned and pulled themselves up, seemingly by the bootstraps and became successful at conditioning, developing plans on their own…not understanding that the core of learning was in the old school work ethic that parents used to imbue into their children…today…not so much…oh there are parents who know and understand this, unfortunately, they are a vanishing breed…so…I mentor, I help guys to understand…it’s way more than just the game…
It’s why the adults who come and help this site and these kids are so important…and appreciated. :smiley:

Great stuff thinktank and JD

…from the article…
The player understands they have to take ownership in the process.
They become aware of their strengths and their weaknesses.
They begin to bridge the gap between perception and reaity

All three of these things speak to one aspect…maturity.
Some guys have a level of emotional maturity at a young age, say 12 or so, to really be proactive and involved in what they want…or even know what they want for that matter. Other guys wont reach that level for a long time.
Being aware, or honest, about strengths and weaknesses is part of this maturing process. How often do you see kids proactively working on a weakness? Not often. We all like to succeed. Most kids want to work at what they are already or naturally good at.
Bridging the gap between perception and reality. So big. Living in a midsize town that is sort of an island, the nearest city of any size is several hours away…much further away culturally, I have spent several years now explaining to my son and his friends that just because they made the All-Star team in the local youth league does not mean they are good.
Going to L.A. or wherever and watching some kids of the same age is a wakeup call. Yes, they have the advantage of good weather. Yes they have the advantage of year round ball and better competition and access to more coaching. None of that changes where YOU are. Be honest with yourself and get to work. It can take years for this to sink in, for some kids it never does…nothing is worse than a senior in high school blaming the umpire.
To JDs point about “old school” parents, its true. It can be a hard line to walk sometimes. But, the biggest thing one can do is lead by example in terms of being honest, hard working, decent and honest, even if it is painful at times.

Fearsome,

Great reply man, well said. I insist on the younger kids keep one, that’s part of the stipulation in our training program. Again, great response!

Why don’t more baseball players do this?

[quote]…the development process will speed up when:
The player understands they have to take ownership in the process.[/quote]
I call this “keeping yourself accountable”

[b]I call this "being honest with yourself"[/b]
 [b]I call this "leaving Fantasyland behind"[/b]

When I was at the age where development was an issue there was only one thing that drove me in the right direction…personal pride.

I did keep a journal but there would have been no way I would have let anyone know I was jotting down notes on my own life.

What was also helpful was a good friend who kept me accountable. What I mean is for instance, I lifted weights with my good buddy. Two wills are better than one when trying to accomplish something. I really think today’s kid is more of a loner due to a variety of situations not under their control.

Today’s kid is also a better excuse maker. What I mean is he can rationalize away plenty of deficiencies. Fantasy gaming and the internet are two contributors to that. If they don’t like what they see in the mirror, they can invent something to replace it. There is no need for keeping ones self accountable if you can just fantasize your life away.

That’s why I believe that you have to expose kids to reality more these days. They have to get out and compete. Compete against other kids better than them, compete against people who aren’t playing fair, compete against mother nature. Mother nature doesn’t take it easy on you based on your sex, religion, age, size or perceived minority status. In short, every chance you get, take them out of their Fantasyland and drop them right into Realville.

What is discussed here not only has implications for baseball…it has real implications on all our lives.

And lastly, I was wishing Coach B. could share a few of his thoughts on this…I believe he could hit this one out of the park.

:clap:
I’ll munch to that!

Great stiff fearsome and Dino!

This should be in every book on raising kids, teaching kids, or coaching kids.

When I was with the Texas Rangers before I got traded they STRONGLY suggsted we keep a journal, and I still do as a habit…I love it specifically when I am going through a lull I can look back and see what made me successful and get back on that right path