Why dont all pitchers just copy Tim Lincecums mechanics?

I mean, obviously the kid is doing something right and uses the body in the absolute best possible way to throw the ball… If he didnt there was no way he would be able to throw as hard as he does. I dont see why everyone just dont copy his pitching mechanics… any thoughts?
Edit/Delete Message

Well, Tim Lincecum is a genetic freak and not everyone would get the same results out of it.

just b/c it works for lincecum doesnt mean itll work for me and you… what works for me might not work for you

I’m trying… :smiley: But its his physical shape/flexibility and arm speed as much as its his mechanics.

Picture Greg Maddux…Now could you just see Greg throwing like Tim?
Cookie cutters don’t work except for cookies. Every single pitcher has unique mechs…if every body moved and was constructed the same, then they could all use the same mechs. I asked Nyman once about his using TL as his example model and his comment to me was that he was a great example of how to get everything moving towards the plate, at the same time recognised that each player was an individual.

trying to copy lincecum’s mechanics is asking for injury. the way he leans backwards would be impossible to do consistently for most people

I agree that you cannot use a cookie cutter approach, however, with that said there are a couple of things Tim does that most power pitchers today do which can be and should be copied. One is the stride length. Tim is a bit unusual in that his stride is about 115% of his body height (100% of body height would be a good goal, obviously for younger ages you would need to work up to this as your core strength improves). Most high school, college and even many pro’s have a much too short stride length. Despite what some “guru’s” would lead you to believe, a longer stride will produce more force (elastic energy…picture a rubber band, if you pulled in back 6" it would go so far. Now pull it back 8" and it will naturally go farther…8" would be equal to a 100% of body height stride).

Interestly, back in the 50’s Russian scientists figured this concept out when trying to increase the peformance of their olympian javelin throwers (taking thousands of photo’s and analyzing). They found that the athletes who threw the farthest had three common traits: (1) They had a longer stride at launch, (2) Hips remained closed or parallel to the target much longer and (3) their head remained closer to the center of their bodies at foot plant prior to launching. I don’t know if they fully understood the kinetic chain the way we now understand it but what they discovered in the 50’s with their javelin throwers is very similar to a pitchers mechanics today (of course a pitcher is not getting a running start but once the foot plant is landed the comparisons are very close).

That’s funny… I had the radar gun out and I was doing my normal mechanics, and then I was doing a Lincecum impersonation… essentially there was no differnce in speed. Of course, I don’t have the elasticity that he has … I figure I’m better off refining what I already do than start from scratch re-making myself after him.

The hype about Lincecum’s mechanics is approaching the hype that surrounded Prior at this point. I’m not nearly as high on him. He struggles to control the strike zone and I’m not just talking about BB/9 but wildness within the zone. His ratios (GB/FB) flip like crazy meaning he doesn’t consistently put the ball where he wants when he wants. Take a look at the consistency of a Maddux/Oswalt/etc from game to game in terms of their ratios. They put the ball where they want and get the results they want.

Positive for a second, I’m not saying I think he is injury prone or that he doesn’t get max velocity from his frame. His stuff is incredible and IMO a small adjustment is the only thing between him and the elite level of pitcher.

I have two problems with Lincecum first, extreme linear energy he creates (incredible stride length). The National Pitching Association did a velocity study that determined from having pitchers throw down on two knees that as much as 80-85% of velocity is created in the separation of hips and shoulders (i.e. a pitcher that throws 100 can throw 80 on two knees). Of that remaining 15-20% a portion of that is created in the potential energy of the leg lift. Lincecum spends an inordinate amount of time on linear energy when in reality it is possible generating somewhere in the range of 3-5 mph.

And that ties together with my second point, his dynamic balance at release is dreadful.

See how he throws his head off his center of gravity (ala Pedro Astacio/Ramon Martinez)? He’s out of balance and balance at release = control. So he’s taking this out of balance position and exagerrating it with extreme linear energy through that position. Result - he struggles with location.

IMO, for Lincecum to reach the level of Elite pitchers, he needs to shore up his dynamic balance and give up a little of the his linear energy. Only when he can control the strike zone, ala Greg Maddux whose ratios NEVER flipped once in his age 41 season, will he reach his full potential.

Great comments, RBish! And I thought I was the only one who thought Lincecum’s control wasn’t that great.

I think if Lincecum turns out to not be durable, it will be the posture issue that will be the culprit.

I’d rather have matt cain thar lincecum. Lincecum has a rushing problem due to tons of inverted L. His shoulder could go boom in the next couple of years. He has horrible control, as opposed to to cain, who has fairly good control.

The reason people love lincecum so much is this: Imagine Taylor Swift (About lincecum’s size) throwing 95 mph. Very hard.

if he is in the mlb, and a starting pitcher, and i am guessing he has been throwing like this for some time now, he’s probably doing something right and he uses his whole body

Lincecums about 23 years old. So take off the first 15 years of his life to make a good guess to when he really started his mechanics. So thats 8 and even to give him the benefit of the doubt 8-10 becuase I really don’t know when he started his odd mechanics. So 8-10 years really isn’t that long. And I’m sure you could cut that in half for how long he has been throwing in the mid 90’s. This means that he really hasn’t been throwing for too long but his genetics do allow him to, but it also brings up the point that he could breakdown at any time. You never know, I don’t think it’s worth it to immitate.

Lincecum’s mechanics are not that “special”. What is it that he does different from this guy?

What is special is that he’s only 5’11", 160 lbs. It’s genetics folks, not mechanics.

He stays on his feet. :mrgreen:

He stays on his feet. :mrgreen:[/quote]
LOL

i really dont see what it is that k-rod does that causes him to fall like that

uh. Lincecum is elite. Lincecum is more elite than maddux was as a rookie. He’s a dominating strikeout pitcher. He may be able to do what you said and be less dynamic and more cerebral. And I was thinking the same thing with the linear motion on his top fastball speed. I’ve also tried it. It’s not a magic trick but it is the extra umph and it is the difference. OBVIOUSLY. He was a candidate for the Cy Young as a rookie. Also, the potential of a 96-98 mph fastball I believe is was keep batters on edge and swinging at his other stuff. There’s a difference between low nineties and 97 mph. The local adult wood bat league has guys/kids throwing 91 or so. I think it’s how lincecum gets on top of batters that makes both his offspeed stuff and his fastball so effective. Bob Gibson had a similar effect. Of course Bob Gibson looked a crapload meaner. But the effect is the same.

[quote=“xv84”]Lincecum’s mechanics are not that “special”. What is it that he does different from this guy?

What is special is that he’s only 5’11", 160 lbs. It’s genetics folks, not mechanics.[/quote]

What do you mean by genetics?

[quote=“xv84”]What is it that he does different from this guy?

[/quote]
Hard to say from this angle but I’ll take a stab at it. Lincecum’s “step over” seems a bit more pronounced. It may put his landing a bit more to the glove side, thus offering a more stable base. Anyone else?