Why does my shoulder hurt? (vid inside)

Until I found Chris O’Leary’s site, I hadn’t experienced any shoulder problems. As I tried to implement some of his/your tips in my mechanics, its really hurt my shoulder. Making abnormal pronation seems to put a lot of stress on my shoulder, though I think I’m pronating too late. These aren’t the best of video quality or anything (plus, I had 3 hour baseball practice until 2 oclock, and then I was on my feet until 9 pm working on a project). Hopefully you’ll see where my problem is.

-I think I could do a better job of leading w/ the hip, but usually the mound changes that.
-My release point seems to be about a foot out in front, and that’s not just w/ a towel…good/bad/just ugly?
-Is it from pitching like this?

LOL @ Jesus in the background…anyway, I tried to copy Greg Maddux’s mechanics more than anyone right now.

Well now that I look at it, it appears I need better hip/shoulder seperation, but is that why my should hurts?

Well we can’t tell that well if you don’t actually throw the ball. Your mechanics look fairly solid, I would say if anything maybe your arm is getting up a bit to high a bit too quickly a la Freddy Garcia, but again we can’t reach conclusions from a video like this. Get outside and try to throw if it doesnt hurt to badly. Also, what does your arsenal look like, and have you had big workloads in the past. This could be a non mechanical related problem if you’ve been throwing too often too early in the season.

Well we can’t tell that well if you don’t actually throw the ball. Your mechanics look fairly solid, I would say if anything maybe your arm is getting up a bit to high a bit too quickly a la Freddy Garcia, but again we can’t reach conclusions from a video like this. Get outside and try to throw if it doesnt hurt to badly. Also, what does your arsenal look like, and have you had big workloads in the past. This could be a non mechanical related problem if you’ve been throwing too often too early in the season.[/quote]

My arsenal includes: 4 Seam | 2 Seam/Sink | Curveball | Straight Change-Up

I’ve done a lot of pitching in this first week of practice, but it doesn’t really feel like just soreness, its more of a pain. It may be that I’ve been throwing too much though. I may try to get vid of throwing a ball later this week during practice or something. The ground is covered with snow.

Any more thoughts?

Any answers you may get on line from pitching people would be speculation at best. Relying on any of them could very well be dangerous. See a doc and/or a physio. Any of us who dare to advise you on changing something to help with your pain are walking a fine line between helping and making things worse. My opinion only.

I totally understand what you’re saying…but this is a board specifically intended to analyze mechanics, and I wanted to see what others thought.

Sure, but you’ve linked it to the pain in your shoulder and I just want you to be aware and cautious about taking anyone’s advice on mechs in the hopes of making your pain better when, because we don’t really know the pain situation, things could actually be made worse. Not a criticism, just advice about your health.

Base your next move on DM59’s advice - It’s solid, positve and has your well being in mind.

AFTER that, and you get a clean bill of health … incorporate this into your delivery motion:
-your glove arm – ALL OF IT, has to move in concert with your pitching shoulder … well beyond it’s present posture. In other words, when your pitching arm is “just about” at its high point B-4 your start your release consideration(s), that glove arm has to have the chest moving towards it… and just B-4 meeting your chest … it must move with the glove arm’s shoulder --BACK out of the way with that side of body(glove side) so you actually exchange shoulders - glove arm’s shoulder with the pitching arm’s should … or as we say … bury your pitching shoulder into the catcher.

I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if - currently, you feel a slight TUG on the muscles just behind your neck and pitching arm shoulder.(?) The most common reason for this — other things be equal and qualified per the instructions of DM59 above, is the glove arm and glove arm shoulder is not allowing those muscles to MOVE OUT OF THE WAY… thus giving the mass of muscles and bones on your pitching side … NO WHERE to releave all that energy… and space to move to.

Like I said, after following DM59’s advice, try my suggestions in very, very slow time and get use to it. Seventy(70) rep’s a day “in slow time” in front a mirror is good practice to not only feel the relaxation of the shoulder muscles exchanging by also to actually SEE the posture routine that your tying to accomplish. When you start to step-up the delivery speed a bit and … again … you start to feel that TUG … you know your shoulder exchange is retarding itself like your old way. So, take the delivery speed down a notch … regain your composure and shoulder exchange discipline and start over.

I should note that a media of this type has huge restrictions so PLEASE, see a professional like DM59 said first.

Best wishes on your progress.

Coach B.

Coach B,

I have to disagree with this advice:

“BACK out of the way with that side of body(glove side) so you actually exchange shoulders”

In my experience this front side action is EXACTLY what causes shoulder problems. The front side does NOT pull back to the side, it stays out in front. If the front side pulls back, you release at a smaller percentage of stride length and consequently the follow through happens more erect and more stressful on the back of the shoulder. Take a look at Maddux at release. The front side is not pulling back, its in front at release and stays right there. A good reference point is that the glove is over the stride foot at front foot strike and stays there through release.

RBish11,

I agree with your comments about stabilizing the glove out front and bringing the chest to the glove. But I think you might have misintepretted Coach B’s remarks. Coach B said “…that glove arm has to have the chest moving towards it…”. He then talked about the glove shoulder releasing and " which is what you are saying. He then went on to say that the glove shoulder should move “BACK out of the way with that side of body(glove side) so you actually exchange shoulders”. I took this to mean after release and during the follow through to help cushion the deceleration. So I think you two are really saying the same thing.

The glove side does need to stabilize but only until the ball has been released. After that, it can release. Look at a clip of Clemens and you’ll see that is exactly what he does. Although I will say that keeping the glove somewhere in front is good for defending yourself from comebackers. :wink:

As for the original question about a sore shoulder, let me first say that I agree with DM’s warnings. Also, to assess mechanics we really need to see the feet and we need to see 100% intensity. Otherwise, any assessment is suspect.

Now, having said that, if I were to judge your mechanics, I’d say that you rotate the shoulders early and that could certainly cause shoulder pain. Pulling the glove may very well be the cause or, at least, part of the cause of the early rotation.