Why Do You Pitch?

Good question !

I mean, why would anyone want to be the centerpiece for hecklers, the poster boy for anything and everything that can go wrong - and does. And if that wasn’t enough, I’ve seen potato fields that were in better shape than a lot of pitching mounds. Then there’s the ride home in the family car listening to dad spout on about what should’ve been done, but never once giving credit for having the guts just to give it a shot in first place. And let’s not forget the ongoing opportunity to permanently hurt yourself by overuse, adults driven to win at all costs, and this “tough it out kid” mentality from just about everyone around you.

So tell me, what is it that makes you pitch? Why would anyone deliberately ask for this?

Coach B.

I pitched because I had it, I wanted it and was willing to accept the challenge.
My son pitches because it is all he has ever known…he isn’t himself without the ball.

This is going to be a rant and will have little coherence:

The first is the feeling of the ball, its perfect, not too light and not too heavy. The seams against my fingertips, the sound the ball makes when it hits the glove. When I’m throwing hard and I listen, I can hear the hiss of the seams.

Life seems so simply on the hill, nothing except me and the glove. For me the hitter barely exists, he’s only a blur of jersey and pant. And no matter what, no matter how crazy my life gets, or how much it stinks I have the hill. Because up there, the questions leave: How am I going to get an A in French? Does she like me? What is my purpose for that matter? Do I have a purpose?

Up there on the mound, nothing matters. The only thing that matters is complete and total domination. The feel and the look that you completely owned that hitter is like my drug. When I’m on the mound, I can relax and focus at the same time. I feel at home on the mound, it feels right. It feels like I was made for this. I was made to do this.

And as I raise my leg and begin my stride to the plant, it becomes clearer and clearer, as my hips open and my entire body sequences in a chain leading ultimately to the whipping of my arm, it continues to grow clearer. A grunt of effort escapes my lips, the ball makes a resounding pop in the catchers glove as the batter can’t catch up. The umpire cocks his arm back and points towards the third base dugout. Then I see the picture, this is where I belong.

The best way I can answer that question is to tell a story.
Composer Darius Milhaud was always being invited to participate in all sorts of symposia, and he was always being peppered with questions. Some were, of course, reasonable. But at every one of those symposia there would be someone who would make a nuisance of himself by asking “Why did you write thus and so this way?” Always why. But Milhaud came up with an answer that effectively stopped all further questioning in this area: "Why not?"
And so, when someone would ask me why I pitched, I would reply the same way. Why not? 8)

I’ll answer with a quote:

“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher’s mound. It was as if I’d been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world.”

–Babe Ruth

Cause I was too tall for Shortstop.

Couple thoughts:

–Love the competition. So many ways to get a guy out, it all seems easy in your head, but then you gotta execute.

–Just finding a way to get the job done every time out, always a great challenge.

–The satisfaction of walking off the mound after a successful inning.

–Strikeouts looking

–Broken bats

I am going to make a confession. When I pitch I feel the least amount of stress. I feel like all I have to do is throw a baseball. I also play short but I get this nervous feeling that I have to do all these things and that I have so much responsibility. On the mound I have none of that. I find this strange because I’ve been called to pitch in some tough situations: last inning, 1 out, bases loaded; score tied, 2 outs runners on 1st and 3rd; down two runs, runners on second and third. And I have played 4 games so far this season.

I pitch because I want to be in control…of the game of the pitch everything.

My son pitches because it’s who he is. Even though it’s fall and basketball season, he exercises continuously (and without knowing it) by going around the house imitating Lincecum . . . dangling arm, high leg kick, whipping the arm around, breaking dishes and anything not tied down :lol:. An when he’s pitching, it’s just him against the hitter. He’s in control and involved with every pitch. He needs to be involved, and pitching matches his personality. He’s bored and not into the game at SS, IB, CF, etc. Being involved with every pitch is also why he likes catching, and also why he’s enjoying basketball this season

BTW, he doesn’t pitch like Lincecum. :shock:

Well, why do I pitch?

I pitch because from everything I know, the mound feels the most like home. Whenever I am standing on the mound, it makes me forget about everything else. It is just me and the catcher. The phase of being fully concentrated creates such an incredible feeling… It is simply amazing, you don’t know if everything you have worked hard for will actually transfer in how good your in-game performance is.
Of all the moments I spent on the hill, there’s no better feeling than fooling batters with a change-up, jamming people inside with the cutter, or just blowing a fastball by everybody. Or to get strike three looking…
Whenever I throw the ball, I like the feel on my fingertips, I like the sound of the ball when it hits the glove… everything…

exactly what buwhite said. i am in control of the game. nothing is gonna happen till i release the ball. okay except maybe the runner trying to steal. the game doesnt get started till i start pitching. plus i just love pitching. i love pitcing in situations

I’ve been a pro since the day I picked up a ball. I love the game.

Hey I am in control of him stealing too, I will keep you close and throw the right pitch to have my catcher throw him out!

Love this thread!!! Let’s keep it going!

There’s nothing more beautiful than the perfectly executed pitch.

Why did I pitch?

I’m a control freak. A-type personality to the extreme (to a fault??) Nothing was more fun than challenging hitters to hit my stuff. Here it comes … good luck! :slight_smile:

i pitch because i just love it, the sound of the glove sends chills down my spine and i love the sound, i love the feel of a baseball, the baseball was made for the human hand.