Why do i keep gaining weight?

I am frustrated because two months ago I weighed 135, and now I weigh 141! I’m not gorging myself or anything but I’m trying to lose weight and the opposite is happening. Now, my body-mass index indicates that I’m overweight! I am a pitcher and an athlete and it’s almost embarrasing. What’s going on with me?

Dude…relax, first some folks would love to add an lb here and there (My son for example needs to get some more weight on his bones). You could have gained that much just through hormonal changes related to pre or post puberty. Do you actively condition? If you condition and work solid on your baseball as well as eating a healthy diet you may be reaping the benefit of a highly tuned body just appreciating the fuel and building on what you are giving it. 6 pounds…don’t get overly concerned…get more in tune with how your metabolism works and adjust as necessary…
Your in luck though…this forum has some of the best young researchers going and I’ve likely jumped the gun, but stay tuned the folks will have you some great advice and information coming up…I just feel it.

I just have been trying to lose some weight and it’s so frustrating that I’ve gained weight. By the way I’m 12.

[size=24] STOP[/size]

By all means…at 12 you should let your body develop, puberty will add pounds, do not worry about this…Why on earth are you attempting to lose weight right now? If you have baby fat issues, let me assure you that if you learn how to properly condition and you eat a HEALTHY diet, the baby fat will burn before you know it. Right now it is absolutly important that the hormonal changes that are happening within your body right now, are nutritionally fed and allowed to happen. Do not buy into having to be skinny…That isn’t going to work for you as a pitcher anyway…I’m not recommending that you become fat…but trash the body weight index anyway…Eat good food, rest properly, remain as active as possible and BE HAPPY!!! It is important to be happy, play your sport, have friends, do your school work with a great attitude and things will go as good as they can.
Let us all know how it goes :smiley:

I don’t have baby fat issues… I was skinny 'till I broke my leg at 8.

dude don’t complain bout gainin weight… i weighed one pound when i was born… not bsin you guys… one pound… im 5’10 and weigh 150 and dyin to put on atleast 10 pounds… you put on like 6 pounds in what 2 months? dont worry bout it

Yeah but my body-mass indicates that I’m overweight. By the way, I am turning 13 in two months. I’m not “working out” I’m just doing running and anaerobic exercises. I’M NOT trying to lose weight, but my dad insists that I do. But like I said before, I’m technically OVERWEIGHT!!!

Also, I AM NOT TRYING TO BE SKINNY! I DON’T WANT TO BE SKINNY! I just am overweight, and I’m frustrated that I keep just gaining more weight.

Ok your 13 almost all you need to do is keep a good diet of no junk food and drink only water and milk. Also do not eat when you get bored or anything like that. I use to be a chubby kid but then a couple years and I’m skinny.

Well then ask to go to the doctor and make sure all is good as far as your health and get suggestions from your doctor as far as diet and excercise for you. That would be the best course and following your parents and doctors advice is the very best course for you at this juncture, it has obviously become an emotional thing so, please go to your parents and let them know how you feel.

Just to let you know BMI isn’t the greatest way to show if someone is overweight or not. I’m a very healthy person and I show pretty close to being overweight on the BMI scale. I’m not fat at all.

If your a lot over with little muslce then yeah you should lose weight but not at 12 years old. Eat healthy and whatever happens happens.

EDIT:[quote]1. Body Mass Index (BMI)

BMI is a reliable indicator of total body fat, which is related to the risk of disease and death. The score is valid for both men and women but it does have some limits. The limits are:
It may overestimate body fat in athletes and others who have a muscular build.
It may underestimate body fat in older persons and others who have lost muscle mass.

Use the BMI calculator or tables to estimate your total body fat. The BMI score means the following:[/quote]

This is kind of a tricky subject, but I’ll try to help as best I can. First off, BMI is poop. It’s a terrible scale and the only reason anyone uses it is because it is easier than doing a bodyfat test. I am a 24.9 on the BMI scale (25 is overweight). Last time I checked my bodyfat it was 13-15% (anything under 20 is considered healthy for a male my age). So you can see that BMI is not something you want to be basing your self-image upon.

At 12 you dont really want to be losing weight. You are at an age when the body is going to be focusing a lot of energy on growth, beginning to add muscle, etc. If you deny your body the fuel it needs at this stage, it could have consequences as far as your development goes. So, dont eat less but try to eat better.

guys, i don’t watch my diet or condition, and i’m 6’0, 130.

I have to agree with that.

Eat more better.

Are you sure you are eating ENOUGH? If you don’t pay attention to what you eat, how do you know you are getting enough? Undereating can be a problem just like overeating although not as common.

Honestly, who’s gonna do that??? Just RELAX. If you’re working out or conditioning any at your age, and you continue in athletics, you’ll slim down. Chances are, you’ll gain height quicker that weight pretty soon. Trust me. I’ve been around several excellent athletes who dealt with the same issue.