Why am I throwing so slow?

I am a 5’ 11" RHP around 190 lb’s. My senior year of high school I was sitting around 84mph up to 86mph in game. I recently started my freshman year of college and for the fall I have been barely touching 80 mph. I’m not sure what is going on my arm feels fine but just can’t get back to the velocities I was at. I played baseball over the entire summer but was only pitching once every week or two weeks. Not sure if there is anything that would make sense for someone but please let me know.

I can’t tell until I see how you throw.

Bob_Perry28,

“My senior year of high school I was sitting around 84mph up to 86mph in game.”

If you were pitching with non-injurious mechanics, your Velo would climb as the adrenaline assisted competitions rep’s added up. 85 puts you at above average with the possibility to keep gaining.

“I recently started my freshman year of college and for the fall I have been barely touching 80 mph.”

If you are interval training at any level the way you should be, you will not be able to compete at your top level due to training regression and why show cases, camps and competitions should be shut down at this time of year so baseball players can achieve higher gains by training rather than trying to do both. This is a big mistake all across amateur baseball.

Atrophy occurs 1.5 times faster than Hypertrophy! If you took 4 to 6 weeks off, your fitness loses will take months to get back then head past where you were. So much for the total rest theory in Humans.

“I’m not sure what is going on my arm feels fine but just can’t get back to the velocities I was at.”

There is one injury you don’t feel because Ligaments do not have pain receptors called “laxity”
where the Ligaments become lengthier and lengthier with bad impositioned mechanical reps.
This allows the Head of the Humerus to get further and further away from the center of the it’s Fossa.
Known as “dead arm” and caused by instability. The shoulder injuries after this if not mitigated end you.

“I played baseball over the entire summer but was only pitching once every week or two weeks.”

Pitchers whom also play a field position often throw their arm out because of adrenaline assisted non warmed up panic all out effort throws. You will never know what did it, it’s accumulative.

“Not sure if there is anything that would make sense for someone but please let me know.”

Watch video of your approach. If you Hyper horizontally abduct your Humerus where you see your scapula’s pinch together expect laxity. Mitigation comes when you learn to pendulum swing your arms apart above the field driveline (imaginary line on the ground between the target and second base) all the way back that keep the head of the Humerus centered in it’s glenoid cavity by keeping the longitudinal axis of the Humerus in line with the shoulder line (acromial line), Watch early Grienke.
If you are mixing training with competition good luck with that approach.
To me it is coaching in reverse.
Guns are useless for training, you should be in aggressive training regression and totally unable to compete for another 3 months. Never stop an overload training daily or planned session to compete. Do both if your coach insists.
Go ahead and compete at a lower level. Pitching can serve as the ballistic part of your training session
Just know what to expect being overload fatigued.