Whipping Action

How do you get whipping action from your arm and not push the ball.
I have a tendency to push the ball A LOT.
BTW i throw overhand.

Well most of the times it’s a matter of not having the arm loose or opening too early. A vid would help, a lot…

yea get a video

If you’re pushing the ball then you’re throwing with your arm instead of your body. You have to let the arm be pulled through. If your pushing the ball then you have a lot of work ahead of you.

I remember way back when I used to go to the original Yankee Stadium and watch the pitchers. I noticed that the Yankees’ Big Three—Raschi, Reynolds and Lopat—were all doing the same thing; they were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, and that was how they were getting the power behind their pitches—not to mention that they were also taking a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder. I watched them, and I saw exactly how they were doing this, and I made a mental note of it and began working on this. As I practiced this essential aspect of mechanics I found that not only was I getting the power behind my pitches, but also I was throwing harder than I had been and with less effort. How not to get a sore arm!
One helpful exercise you can start with is something Tom House, who was himself no slouch as a pitcher, calls the “Hershiser drill”. You can look that up and get going on it; the aim of this one is to get your hips into action. :slight_smile: 8)

backwards chaining drills