Which side of the rubber do you pitch from?

1. Which arm do you throw with?

2. Where do you stand on the rubber?

3. Should pitchers throw from their throwing-arm side of the rubber? In other words, should RHP stand on the right side of the rubber. Should LHP stand on the left side? Why or why no, and what do you do? (Note: This isn’t a trick. There’s no right or wrong answer here :-))

I throw Right handed and I used to always throw from the right side but now that I am pitching in high school finally, the coach will only let me throw from the right :?. I would suppose its personal preference really but I dont think there is any difference between the two, other then maybe if you are trying to aim for a certain spot.

1. Left
  2. Left
  3. Whatever is comfortable. I just like to get the angle for getting in on righties. You can handcuff guys and get a lot of slow dribblers off of the bat handle.

I agree with House on this one. Standing in the wrong position - combined with certain elements of your signature - can result in posture change during your delivery which can effect performance and health. So it’s important to figure out a position that minimizes or avoids these issues. This, to me, is more important than any benefit you might get by “creating angle” or “hiding the ball” by sticking to the cookie cutter teach of righties on the right, lefties on the left.

I stand on the left (RHP) with only the ball of my foot and upwards touching the rubber. No reason… just because I always have.

1. right

2. right

3. to get good effectiveness on my curveball to righties

Imo…I think it has to do with the type of pitcher you are. I was a rhp and depended mostly on right to left movement, and pitching from the extreme right side of the rubber was most effective for me to use the whole plate . On the other hand, I’ve played with and coached rhp’s that relied on left to right movement , and throwing from the left was best for them.

I never paid much attention to which side of the rubber I pitched from—I just did what was comfortable. One thing—as a sidearmer, I used the crossfire a great deal, and what I would do was take a step toward third base, whip around and throw from that angle, so it looked to the batter as if it were coming at him from third base. Poor batters—how that used to throw their timing off, especially with the snake-jazz I threw. :wink:

I am a right-handed pitcher and like to pitch on the right side of the rubber. Every now and again I will pitch in the middle and on rare cases when I can’t find my location I’ll try pitching off the left. The thought that always runs through my head when pitching off the right side is that if I throw it a little late then it’ll still at least end up on the left side of the strike zone. Sometimes though I think it’s bad since it would seem like I’m throwing across my body to reach that lower left-hand corner.

I have a tendency to throw outside (to a righty) so I stand on the right side of the rubber just for control reasons.

Own the rubber. Use all of it. Once you feel comfortable with mechanics and command of pitches, use the rubber as a tool to pitch to hitters. Move around. I always felt depending how I wanted to pitch to hitters and the pitch I was throwing dictated where I stood. As a righty, I generally used the extreme right to pitch to a lot of righties and the extreme left to pitch to lefties, because I loved pitching inside. If the strategy dictated otherwise, I might move. It can help deception and confuse hitters as well. In many high school and college ballparks with bad backgrounds for hitters, it makes it more difficult for the hitter to adjust and confuses them about where the ball is coming out.

To me, House is the only pitching coach I’ve seen address this issue with some common sense and clarity. The starting point is a place to ensure proper posture and balance throughout the pitching motion. You should start from the place where you are most efficient. Not necessarily the end result, in my experience, however.

I don’t subscribe to the “angle on a hitter” theory because over 60 feet, I just don’t think a few inches either way on the rubber makes a whole lot of difference in the eyes of a hitter. Any perceived advantage is in the mentality of the pitcher, which has value, of course.

In my instruction, I start with cleaning up mechanics. It is pointless to adjust position on the rubber if mechanics are still in flux. Once mechanics are getting fairly solid, we’ll look at balance and posture on video and look at how position on the rubber effect them. We’ll look at the concept of dragline and what that means to each pitcher. Ultimately though, where we end up, sometimes, becomes a “feel” thing. If in theory, we’ve made a pitcher more efficient but we’re struggling with command, you have to get to a point where you put the pitcher in a position to succeed. Usually though, the more efficient pitcher (in theory) throws more strikes.

Very well-said, RBish11. In my opinion, you are right on the money.

A pitcher’s best starting place on the rubber is that spot where he is ultimately most efficient when he pitches the ball.

Some, maybe most, guys may only have one such spot that they can truly pitch from efficiently. Some may be able to pitch with command from both sides of the rubber.

Finally, the only way a pitcher can really determine where he should start on the rubber is to experiment with it in the bullpen, hopefully with a good knowledgeable coach as a pair of external eyes, and figure it out.

House does address the use of an individual’s drag-line as one diagnostic for estimating a good starting place on the rubber, but I think he believes that plenty of guided experimentation is very important when trying to find the best solution for each individual.

I 2nd that.