Which side of the mound should you stand on?

I was wondering which side of the mound should a righty be on? Thanks

I dont think there are any hard rules for which side of the rubber you should stand on but in my opinion, there are two thoughts that could change where you stand.

1. Batter Perception - as a LHP I would always stand on the left side of the mound when facing a left handed hitter to make it look like the ball was coming at the hitter for longer. You could do the same thing from the right side.

2. Mechanical correction - if you are consistently throwing balls to the left side of the plate, shift to the right side of the mound in order to throw strikes.

As a RHP use the right side for right handed batters and use the left side for left handed batters
As a LHP use the right side for right handed batters and the left for left handed batters.

The batter will think you are gonna hit him because you are almost in front of him. Mental question

Just for the heck if it, for a RHP, pitching to a RHB, stand on the right side of the rubber (your right as you stand with the rubber) and pitch a slider. Notice the bite of the ball. Now stand on the left side of the rubber and deliver the same pitch. See if you have the same bite on your slider to the RHB.

Now for a RHP, do the same exercise to a LHB, and take note of the movement.

It helps a lot if you have a video camera behind you, and about ten (10) feet high so the video is over your head.

In each case, your pitch will behave very differently to each batter.

Trust me on this one - you’ll add a totally new dimension to a slider that’ll be hard to figure out.

Yep, on sweeping pitches it really does make a difference. If you’re more of a crafty control pitcher, you might just want to find what’s comfortable and stay right there. It’s all personal to everyone and to every style. No right or wrong here.

I notice a lot of pitchers stand to the edge of the rubber that is closest to their free foot. I don’t think there is a reason for it–other than it makes it easier for them to take their initial side step without catching a spike on the rubber. Be careful not to tip your pitch by moving to the opposite side of the rubber to throw a breaking ball.