Which of These Exercises Are Best For a Pitcher?

I’m trying to gain several mph on my fastball this summer and general strength training is part of my training program. As far as workouts go, I don’t really know what would be good and pitching-specific that I could do for my arms so I’m making a list of a bunch of arm exercises that I’ve read about. I’d really appreciate it if people would give me feedback as to which exercises that I list are the most pitching-specific and work the most number of muscle groups so as not to isolate one muscle.

I’m hoping to choose about 4-6 of the best ones to put into my program:

1. Military Press
  2. Arnold Press
  3. Dips
  4. Skull Crushers
  5. Bent-Over Row
  6. Bent-Over Fly
  7. Kick Backs
  8. Overhead Curls
  9. Shoulder Press

or any other good ones that I didn’t list here…

I’d love some feedback…
and no, RIstar, you’re not gonna change my mind about doing a strength program.

[quote=“Samo_292”]I’m trying to gain several mph on my fastball this summer and general strength training is part of my training program. As far as workouts go, I don’t really know what would be good and pitching-specific that I could do for my arms so I’m making a list of a bunch of arm exercises that I’ve read about. I’d really appreciate it if people would give me feedback as to which exercises that I list are the most pitching-specific and work the most number of muscle groups so as not to isolate one muscle.

I’m hoping to choose about 4-6 of the best ones to put into my program:

1. Military Press
  2. Arnold Press
  3. Dips
  4. Skull Crushers
  5. Bent-Over Row
  6. Bent-Over Fly
  7. Kick Backs
  8. Overhead Curls
  9. Shoulder Press

or any other good ones that I didn’t list here…

I’d love some feedback…
and no, RIstar, you’re not gonna change my mind about doing a strength program.[/quote]

1. A bit hard on the shoulders, I would sub a Push Press in for this one. (easier)
  2. Decent
  3. Awesome exercise, definitely use in a routine.
  4. Decent, some people swear by these. I think they are okay.
  5. Great for building a strong back.
  6. Not sure I have ever tried this one. Seems like it would be good for shoulder development.
  7. Dont like these because of the weird angle your arm is at when you hold the DB straight back.
  8. Never heard of this.
  9. Same as the military, can be a bit hard the shoulder. I like push presses better.

I know some of these are a bit subjective, but I would definitely try out different stuff and see how you feel. 3 and 5 are definitely exercises you should add to your program. From there, I’d also look at Push presses or just go lighter on a straight shoulder press. For another tricep exercise you have extensions with a dumbbell, as well as cable or resistance band pushdowns. Also check out- Pike presses, one arm snatch, diamond pushups, and bodyweight tricep extensions.