Which is better for your arm a slider or a curveball?

Which is better for your arm a slider or a curveball?

if thrown correctly niether

curveball is just the easier

big unit, carlton - long career sliders
ryan, glavine, mussina - long career curveballs
clemens, - both

I’d say the slider is better for the arm, but it all depends on how you throw it.

I throw my slider with the same arm and wrist action as my fastball so it doesn’t put any extra stress on my arm.

slider is worce because you put force and rotation on the ball. curveball you just put rotation

(sigh) Here we go again. It seems that as long as both pitches are around there will be controversy. Well, let me throw my two cents’ worth into the mix.
I learned the slider when I was sixteen, and I learned it from a major-league pitcher who used it a lot. He never went in for abstruse explanations or a lot of technical gobbledegook. He simply told me, “Throw it like a curve, but roll your wrist, don’t snap it.” He showed me the off-center grip he used, demonstrated the wrist action, and then handed me the ball he had with him and said “Go ahead—try it.” In about ten minutes I got the hang of it, and let me tell you, the slider, when thrown correctly, is much easier on the arm and shoulder—especially if you’re a sidearmer, as I was. So I wouldn’t express any preferences. I used my curve ball—and a good bit of other snake jazz—to set up the slider, which was my strikeout pitch. Other pitchers might do things differently.
So go ahead and do what’s comfortable for you. Oh yeah—happy 4th of July to all of you. :slight_smile:

can you explain that off center grip
i just wanna know

yeah you always talk about that and i was wondering about you gripped the ball.

i use the curve grip and the fastball grip
i get more break with the curvegrip
more speed with the fastball grip

Okay, kelvin and jimster: here’s what you want to know about that off-center grip for the slider. The grip is neither two-seam nor four-seam, but in between, and the index and middle fingers are close together, with the thumb resting on the bottom of the ball and the other two fingers on the side of the ball. As for how you throw it: you know how you throw a curve, with the wrist action like a karate chop or like pulling down a window shade? Well, you do the same thing except you don’t snap the wrist, just turn it over. And this pitch is absolutely devastating when you throw it sidearm, the way I did; I recall how the guy watched me and made some mental notes and then said “That’s it—you’ve got the idea.” It does take some practice, because one needs to get used to the easier wrist action, but once you’ve got it down you’ll wonder how you ever did without it in your arsenal. :slight_smile: 8)

thanks for the description.

i think i get it
thanx