Which Bat?

This question pertains to many high school and college bat specifications.

Which of the bats below are legal for play and which bats are not:

Length Weight
32 inch 29 oz
32 inch 30 oz
32 inch 31 oz
32 inch 32 oz
33 inch 30 oz
33 inch 31 oz
33 inch 32 oz
34 inch 31 oz
34 inch 32 oz

Coach B.

I imagine they all could be legal…the -3 designation, as I understand it, doesn’t necessarily outlaw bats that are -2 or greater… but it certainly does outlaw bats that are -4 or less.

Since you didn’t include barrel diameters or BBCOR ratings or any other paramters, can we assume that all other factors are “legal” for this question?

It could be that they’re all illegal or legal, depending on what you’re asking about. If you’re asking to consider only the weight to length ratio, they all meet it because they’re all no more than 3 ounces less than their lengths.

If that’s incorrect, I’ll enjoy the laugh with you. :lol:

All seem legal?!!

The CIAC states that a metal baseball bat must be a -3 no greater no less. Wood bats of any size are allowed are allowed. Since we are going to assume that all of the bats are BESR and BBCOR ( there was a change last year requireing them to be BBCOR certified) then any bat that is -3 is legal.

32 inch 29 oz - legal

32 inch 30 oz -illegal

32 inch 31 oz -illegal

32 inch 32 oz -illegal

33 inch 30 oz -legal

33 inch 31 oz -illegal

33 inch 32 oz -illegal

34 inch 31 oz -legal

34 inch 32 oz -illegal

[size=18]10/8 edit[/size]

Thanks to scorekeeper I know now that NFHS rulings sate that it just has to -3 or less (-2, -1, etc). I have always been told that it has to -3.

Updated List

32 inch 29 oz - legal

32 inch 30 oz -legal

32 inch 31 oz -legal

32 inch 32 oz -legal

33 inch 30 oz -legal

33 inch 31 oz -legal

33 inch 32 oz -legal

34 inch 31 oz -legal

34 inch 32 oz -legal

[quote=“karatekid552”]The CIAC states that a metal baseball bat must be a -3 no greater no less. Wood bats of any size are allowed are allowed. Since we are going to assume that all of the bats are BESR and BBCOR ( there was a change last year requireing them to be BBCOR certified) then any bat that is -3 is legal.

32 inch 29 oz - legal
32 inch 30 oz -illegal
32 inch 31 oz -illegal
32 inch 32 oz -illegal
33 inch 30 oz -legal
33 inch 31 oz -illegal
33 inch 32 oz -illegal
34 inch 31 oz -legal
34 inch 32 oz -illegal[/quote]

I assume CIAC means the Cn state Assn athletic division. I’d be very interested in getting a link to where you found that statement about no greater no less than -3. I’ve looked everywhere I can think of, and the only thing I find is the NFHS rule about bats, and it doesn’t say what you say CIAC says. I’d also like to see where CIAC says all bats have to be BBCOR for the 2011 year as well. I know Ca made that the rule, but I hadn’t heard Cn did it.

CIAC has been using NFHS rulings. And i didn’t find it on the internet, I called up my coach and asked him.

ok the CIAC is only in CT sorry http://www.casciac.org/base.shtml

Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference

but they use NFHS ruling

karatekid,

I wasn’t calling you, your coach, or CIAC liars! All I was doing was making an attempt to make sure the most correct information was what was being put out. I’ve been messing around with the NFH rules for more than a few years, and with the rules about metal bats in HS, college, and lower level organizations too for quite a few years as well.

I know state assns and leagues have some wiggle room when it comes to the rules, but I had never heard any about the ratio of bat length to bat weight. I could have just let it go and allowed you to continue to believe what you wrote, but don’t you think that allowing you to believe what was likely not true wouldn’t be a very nice thing to do?

How about this. I’ll type out both the NFHS and NCAA rules about bats for you.

[b]NFHS - Rule 1-3-4 … In weight: A bat shall not weigh, numerically, more than three ounces less than the length of the bat (e.g. a 33-inch-long bat cannot be less than 30 ounces).

NCAA – Rule 1, section 12,(5) A bat may not weigh, numerically, more than three units less than the length of the bat (e.g., a 34-inch-long bat cannot weigh less than 31 ounces).[/b]

I’m going to guess you misunderstood what your coach told you, and things like that happen all the time. But, there is a chance that I’m totally wrong and your state has gotten permission to change the bat rules. If that’s true, I’m deeply sorry, but I really would like to get my hands on some reference as to where they made that rule change.

scorekeeper,

I was not yelling at you or calling you a liar, I was just telling you where I got my information from and didn’t mean to start an argument. My coaches have always told me that it has to be -3. Thanks for your information and Ill talk to my coach, once again I was not trying to start an argument. Sorry. Also you were right about questioning me and if i was in your place I would have done the same thing.

I’m not all that familiar with the various rules governing the amateur game - but, I over-heard talk at a local sporting goods store about this “bat thing” and what was legal and what wasn’t for high school and college. Barrel diameter and other particulars I assumed were “given quantities” that when hand-n-hand with the question. Just shows how much I don’t know about the rules governing high school and college stuff!

In any event, I now know that I should have qualified my question a bit more in textual fact, thus knowing the subject more than I did. The answer I got was from a local umpire that calls a lot of high school and college games. His answer was - they’re all legal per Massachusetts high school and most Massachusetts college play. Now all this could change, from what I understand. However I’m not qualified to comment on that beyond what I’ve mentioned already.

I apologize to everyone that responded. It was when laflippin chimed in with his bit that I knew I should’ve done more homework. La doesn’t miss a thing - learned a lot from him since crusing the site. Learned a lot.

Sorry guys! ( I gotta start drink’n better stuff.)

Coach B.

Its okay Coach B. we all learned something here.

:gossip: :bigtup: