Which Arm Slot?

Hi, I am new to this site and I used to play in some rubber ball thingy for a couple of season when I was around 7 but since I moved and haven’t been playing and baseball or teeball since. I have been playing other sports like cricket (bat and ball sport) and thinking about taking up baseball. I tried pitching to a net using all sort of arm slot - low 3/4, submarine, sidearm while a friend (who is playing baseball) was watching. he told me he told me its could be anywhere from mid 70mph- high 80mph but he cant tell since he is not in the batter box? and that I can find the strikezone with all of them going about full strength (80% maybe) with wind-up. as far as i can remember, I never really have any natural arm slot so what should I do? he suggested that I have a “sinking fastball?” with my 3/4 (why do you guys have to divide 3/4 and overarm anyway…) BTW I just turned 18 yrs old. around 5’10-5’11. weight around 70-75kg.

In cricket I play as a spin bowler if that helps so I think I can throw the curve pretty well as curveball and offspin ball is the same where curve emphasis more on drift (break) & flight & loop (sink) instead of getting turn of the pitch which suits me since I get guys out with my flight and loop. So I think I can throw a 12-6 curveball.

I have read about some post on good pitching mechanics and have the pretty much the same mechanics as the guy wearing the blackcap (sorry, Roger Clemens?) so i think I got fundamentals covered: hip leading, long stride, follow through etc. etc. might need to work on it as I start playing since I got a few balls and start doing it in the backyard and after everyball i checked the list… sometimes I dont have a long stride or the same, consistent follow through. I got the smooth motion or so I think. I cant provide videos but hope you guys can help with the information i have given so far. sorry for the long post. thanks

[quote=“Jowen”]Hi, I am new to this site and I used to play in some rubber ball thingy for a couple of season when I was around 7 but since I moved and haven’t been playing and baseball or teeball since. I have been playing other sports like cricket (bat and ball sport) and thinking about taking up baseball. I tried pitching to a net using all sort of arm slot - low 3/4, submarine, sidearm while a friend (who is playing baseball) was watching. he told me he told me its could be anywhere from mid 70mph- high 80mph but he cant tell since he is not in the batter box? and that I can find the strikezone with all of them going about full strength (80% maybe) with wind-up. as far as i can remember, I never really have any natural arm slot so what should I do? he suggested that I have a “sinking fastball?” with my 3/4 (why do you guys have to divide 3/4 and overarm anyway…) BTW I just turned 18 yrs old. around 5’10-5’11. weight around 70-75kg.

In cricket I play as a spin bowler if that helps so I think I can throw the curve pretty well as curveball and offspin ball is the same where curve emphasis more on drift (break) & flight & loop (sink) instead of getting turn of the pitch which suits me since I get guys out with my flight and loop. So I think I can throw a 12-6 curveball.

I have read about some post on good pitching mechanics and have the pretty much the same mechanics as the guy wearing the blackcap (sorry, Roger Clemens?) so i think I got fundamentals covered: hip leading, long stride, follow through etc. etc. might need to work on it as I start playing since I got a few balls and start doing it in the backyard and after everyball i checked the list… sometimes I dont have a long stride or the same, consistent follow through. I got the smooth motion or so I think. I cant provide videos but hope you guys can help with the information i have given so far. sorry for the long post. thanks[/quote]

I’ve played cricket for the first time this year. Mechanics wise, spin bowling is NOTHING like throwing a over-the-top curve (the shoulder rotation while bowling is TOTALLY different).

You to play organized ball, I’ve played ball with guys who are coming from cricket. They definitely over estimate how much they think thew know the game.

You have to practice baseball everyday just to be lousy.

Don’t want to discourage you, just being honest.

You need to find the arm slot that is most comfortable for you and that will enable you to pitch effectively—and stick with it. That’s the first step. I remember many moons ago I had an incredible pitching coach—he was an active major leaguer—whose basic premise was that every pitcher has a natural motion, and what he would do was work with said pitcher and show him (or her) how to make the most of it. I was a true sidearmer, and he recognized where I was coming from. He took me in hand, worked with me and helped me become a better pitcher than I had been.
Next, you need to practice good mechanics, and that’s where a good pitching coach can help. As for repertoire, the basic things are a fast ball (2- or 4-seam, or both), curve, changeup and maybe one other breaking pitch. That’s a tall order, but I believe you can do it. Of course, control and command are absolutely prerequisite. go to it, and have fun. :slight_smile: 8)

I’ve played cricket for the first time this year. Mechanics wise, spin bowling is NOTHING like throwing a over-the-top curve (the shoulder rotation while bowling is TOTALLY different).

You to play organized ball, I’ve played ball with guys who are coming from cricket. They definitely over estimate how much they think thew know the game.

You have to practice baseball everyday just to be lousy.

Don’t want to discourage you, just being honest.[/quote]

thanks for the advice? first time ever playing cricket so you might have a different bowler with a different action? theres leg spin and off spin btw and I am referring to offspin. but that is just what i think, thats all. one is bowling, another is throwing. one uses a run up, another wind up or stretch. obviously its going to have different mechanic? I am by no means underestimating baseball or an expert on baseball, just going to have fun play baseball. :smiley: I will have fun Zito and probably throw overhanded since its the most conventional way and might slip in a side arm or underarm once in a while :wink: