Whey protein

whey protein what is it? and can it help me put on some weight? if it can u know where i can get it cheap?thanks

It’s a bi-product from dairy, extremely high in protein and low in carbs and fat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whey_protein

Can it help you put on weight? Sure. But so could many different foods. Whey is not some miracle powder - you need to up your entire calorie intake each day if you want to gain weight. If you are taking in 3000 calories a day and not gaining weight then you need to take in 3500 a day and see what happens, and so on each week.

If you really want to find a whey product to use, you would be better served by a weight gain type shake. These contain fat and carbs, whereas whey isolates contain only protein. The total calorie number is much higher as well. Drink the shake post workout.

http://www.affordablesupplements.com/gainer_whey_protein.asp
http://www.affordablesupplements.com/extreme_mass.asp

wow KC it’s a lot cheaper then whey protein itself have u tried this before and if u did how has it worked for u? ad is all this good for your body?

I haven’t used gainer regularly, never really needed to. I used the whey isolate powder to try and gain muscle without adding weight, and it worked really well for that purpose.

I will definitely work if you use it correctly. Shakes will not replace whole foods. Some people go from eating 3000 calories of whole food to 2500 whole foods and 500 calorie shake. You’ll stay at the same weight if you do that. So, figure out how many calories eat in a normal day, then add 500. Stay at that level for a week or two and keep track of your weight. That is where you make changes and adjustments. 2 lbs. a week is the max you want to put on. 1 lb. is pretty good. Anything less than that you should up your food intake.

And yes whey can be a part of a healthy diet if you dont go overboard. Protein is the building block of muscle, so you want to fuel your body for performance. However, some people can go overboard with too much protein and start eating like a bodybuilder. Athletes need to have carbs for energy, and you also need to take in healthy fats. So, your daily food intake should be something like 50-60% carbs, 25% protein, 25%fat. Make sure you get your recommended amount of vitamins through whole foods - EAT YOUR FRUITS AND VEGGIES.

Some other tips to help you out… Get plenty of sleep each night. Don’t run long distances (>1 mile), do sprint training instead. Focus on compound lifts in the weight room. Plyometric training once a week, speed training once a week, strength training at least 3 times a week.

it seems like your implying that whey protein isolates help you gain muscle but not weight. so if used correctly, can gainer help me gain both weight and muscle?

if it’s relevant at all i’m 5’9’’ and 150 lbs.

KC have u ever order from any of those sites before? i just want to make sure just in case thanks a lot though

[quote=“StuyHitmenZero”]it seems like your implying that whey protein isolates help you gain muscle but not weight. so if used correctly, can gainer help me gain both weight and muscle?

if it’s relevant at all i’m 5’9’’ and 150 lbs.[/quote]
WPI is just protein, not carbs or fat so it has fewer calories. I can’t really remember all the intricacies of post workout intake, so hopefully CF or barber can expand on WPI vs. gainer and the effect.

As for the second part, it’s basically calorie surplus + muscle stimulus that will allow you to gain weight and add muscle. That is the really simple version.

Yep. I have ordered from them quite a few times. Quick service, no problems.

kC, did the stuff u buy from teh site come with a measuring cup cause mine didn’t u know where i can buy one??

also one more question how often should i drink the protein?

Any grocery store or Target-style multipurpose store should carry various measuring cups. Check on the back of the container and see how much one scoop equals.

And for timing, I would start by having a shake postworkout on your lifting days and as a midmorning snack on non-lifting days. See how that affects your weight gain and then make adjustments (more or less often).

when will i start seeing results? thanks

in what situation would you advise on having a shake pre-workout? I have a friend who used whey protein, and he always had one before working out.

Depends on a few things. If you follow a well laid out strength program, eat well, and allow adequete time for recovery, you should be able to see mirror results within 1-2 months. Now, this is not to suggest that you will see a huge difference, but the change should be visible (5 pounds is a reasonable weight gain target for that time frame).

Just remember that whey is no magic bullet. If you slack off with your diet and fail to workout regularly, no amount of protein will help you gain muscle. There is no substitute for hard work.

Some people do it that way. It might be preference, but there is one main reason why I’d avoid it. This is of course the issue of having a rather heavy liquid meal on your stomach right before an intense workout. Might not be the best outcome.

But both ways have been shown to be effective, so whichever way suits you best.

I would start sipping on your post-workout shake towards the end of your workout…

And then when you get home, start prepping up your post-workout meal…

The only time I ever consume whey protein isolate is either during-end of workout, or as part of a weight gain shake…

Here you go man…

Weight Gain Shake…

Milk
Oats (crushed)
2 tbsp Natural Peanut Butter
1 scoop Whey Protein Isolate

If you have any allergies with milk, substitute with Almond Milk or something to that effect…

There’s an incredible amount of combinations to choose from when it comes to making your own weight gain shake… Main thing is, stay consistent, train hard and eat right and you should see results…