When you were in high school

Hi everyone. I’m a junior in high school right now and for you guys who have moved on to college/pro ball, I was just wondering what you guys did during high school to prepare and get to the next level. Ex. How did the recruiting process work for you, did you go to any showcases (if any), what kind of training/workouts did you do, and what advice would you have for someone who is working to get to the college level and beyond. Thanks alot!

Showcases help so much, go to as many as you are willing to pay for.

Consistency is also key. A coach wants to see you do well more than just the time he sees you.

Also, luck has alot to do with it.

Thats cool its a good league I know a bunch of people from Youse’s Orioles since I play on the younger Maryland Orioles team

ok

mdorioles13,

Check out this link it’ll help you greatly. High School Baseball Web

The site sets up many timelines and guidelines that can help you. They also have a message board that is invaluable if you use it correctly.

Everyones experiences are different with the recruiting phase, that’s something to keep in mind.

Hope this helps.

There are a lot of different things that you can do to get prepared for HS and college ball and beyond. Just stick to your strengths and what you know you can do well. The biggest thing that I see a lot people do is over exert themselves and try to impress people and show them too much. If you just believe in your talents and what you can do on the diamond then it will take care of itself.

The high school I went to in New York City was one of those specialized academic schools that had no athletic program to speak of, just a general physical education program. So I played baseball on the outside, with a very good high-level “sandlot” team that could almost have been called semipro except that no one got paid. I was the only girl on the team, and the fellows were all somewhat older than I was, but nobody minded because I could get the batters out with the stuff I had. Later I acquired more stuff—breaking pitches of various types, what some call “snake jazz”, because I didn’t have a fast ball worthy of the name, but those pitches gave opposing batters no end of conniption fits! I had a strikeout pitch—a very nasty slider, which I learned at the age of 16—and a very good knuckle-curve, which was my second-best pitch.
Those were the days…many moons ago—and although my playing days are way behind me (I’m 73 now, and I don’t care who knows it), I have some great memories. If I could give anyone of you one piece of advice, it would be just this: Trust your stuff. Go with your best pitches, and they won’t let you down. :slight_smile:

Zita:

The high school I went to in New York City was one of those specialized academic schools that had no athletic program to speak of, just a general physical education program. So I played baseball on the outside, with a very good high-level “sandlot” team that could almost have been called semipro except that no one got paid. I was the only girl on the team, and the fellows were all somewhat older than I was, but nobody minded because I could get the batters out with the stuff I had. Later I acquired more stuff—breaking pitches of various types, what some call “snake jazz”, because I didn’t have a fast ball worthy of the name, but those pitches gave opposing batters no end of conniption fits! I had a strikeout pitch—a very nasty slider, which I learned at the age of 16—and a very good knuckle-curve, which was my second-best pitch.
Those were the days…many moons ago—and although my playing days are way behind me (I’ 73 now, and I don’t care who knows it), I have some great memories.

Papibon:

Pretty progressive back then to let a “dame” on the team and let her pitch to boot! :guitar:

I got the opposing batters out, and that was all that mattered. :slight_smile:

Who could possibly argue with snake jazz. :wink:

Zita Carno Very good reading of your last post here.

A while ago I made a post of an experience that I had with a lady pitcher. I read your post and just had to chime in with this re-post of mine:::

A long time ago I took a break form coaching and wanted to be on a rotation again. A reality check, I still here about from time to time from my lovely bride.

I, and the rest of my teammates got a plateful of crow served up to us one Sunday afternoon. And we had humble pie for desert.

Our club arrived at a real nice ball field in Upper State New York and as we started to unload our bus, we saw a pitcher warming up on the mound. As we settled into our dugout, one of our guys said… “hey,check out the chick!”

On the mound was a gal, about 5’7”, and not very imposing as pitchers go.

The remarks that followed out of our dugout, and I made some myself, I’m not proud of. In fact, the common theme was WHAT A JOKE!!

We played only five innings. Thank the Almighty for the mercy rule! That pitcher sent 15 of us right back to the dugout … and it was over.

As we lined up at the plate to shake hands, every one of us removed our cap and acknowledge a great pitcher. In addition, we expressed regret and apologized for the earlier remarks.

Well, that was that… so we all though. However, to this day… and I swear I
saw it …. all of our wives looked at that woman and silently confirmed the
following…. “THANKS SISTER… WE’LL TAKE IT FROM HERE!!”

You never know… 8)

if she plays the piano…strong fingers! :dazzler: