When to work on gaining MPH

I have an 11 year old son and was wondering what is the right age to start working out to start adding MPH?

I know you should work on control and command but at some point or age I would think adding some training to increase MPH would factor in.

We have a cheap Bushnell gun we bought off of ebay and according to it he throws 51-53.

I have no idea if that is good for his age or if he is behind.

My opinion Munster, is that after he gets into puberty, when his body starts changing. He won’t be building muscle until then. What I recommend for now is to refine his mechs and allow him to participate in other athletic endevors that emphasize endurance, flexability, coordination…my son for example participated in martial arts…basketball, football…even gymnastics are very helpful in developing a kid at this time. As far as what you see on the gun, remember that kids in the LLWS are 12 and are throwing from a mound (I remember that ya’ll don’t use a mound), use the gun as a tool, don’t right now emphasize gaining speed over being mechanically sound…as he gets closer to that goal his speed will increase and then when he does get into puberty he’ll have his velo spurt as well as sound mechanics…this will imo give him the best opportunity to stay healthy and successful.

Thanks for the reply.

I dont want to push him too early and have him get burned out on the game but at the same time I do not want him to fall behind. He does play basketball and football along with baseball.

We have been working on a few things that yourself and roger suggested and have seen some improvement on his timing.

His velo will improve with that

Smart and a good call…keep it fun, his success will keep him hungry for more…you can see he loves it, he won’t fall behind. Sometimes it’s the best to be measured, it keeps a kid wanting more. Try to avoid if you can getting him into where it’s a grind…unless you are very careful this can happen in travel ball at this age for example. Keep getting educated it is your best defense and armor.

Good morning, jd!
It’s really funny how things can sneak up on you. I was a control pitcher all the way, without a fast ball to speak of, and I had been playing for a few years—well, here it was 1954, and my team was up at Van Cortlandt Park in the northwest Bronx to take on a team we hadn’t seen before. I was warming up before the game, being scheduled to start, and suddenly I wound up and threw a pitch that was a good deal faster than my other stuff. I tried it again, I crossfired it, I threw from the stretch—same thing, and I realized that whatever the pitch was it was not a fluke. My catcher noticed this and wanted to know if I wanted to try it in the game. I did, and much to my surprise I found that the opposing batters had no more luck with it than they had with my other stuff!
The next time I saw Ed Lopat I told him about this pitch, and next thing I knew he told me to throw it again, nine or ten times, because he wanted to time it. He did—and then he said to me, “I’ve got news for you. You have a fast ball!” He had timed it at 81 miles an hour, and he said that for a finesse pitcher such as I was this was a fast ball—a good four-seamer with a hop to it; it went out of the strike zone and the batters were unable to lay off, so they were missing it every time. He told me how I could use it, along with my other stuff, to set the batters up for my slider.
So—you never know… :o :smiley: