When to step

when is the right time to take ur loading step?

i heard its right before the pitcher releases the ball

you heard right. Right before the pitcher releases the ball take the ‘step’ and pull your hands back to get ready to whip them around. Remember not to lift your leg too high for the step, I used to take a wierd high ichiro-like kick, and it ended up with my swing being off-balance. If you want an example of the timing, I’ll post a clip of some BP i did recently.

[quote=“OffSet”]when is the right time to take ur loading step?

i heard its right before the pitcher releases the ball[/quote]

I always have trouble adjusting to this after I get used to hitting off the cages. With the cages I prestep then swing. I was just working on my step today. We had an ex-D1 catcher helping us with hitting and he said when the pitcher starts his hand forward you want to step.

If your having troubles depending on how your practices are run, like today since it was Friday our coach sets up the machine in the cages takes a few pitchers to work with and has the JV coach do some other small grounder work and such. But we can really do whatever we want to work on at times. Since I was having this problem today I got a JV player to pretend to pitch to me and that’s all I worked on our in the hallways was stepping at the right time making sure I close up my step and that kind of stuff.

It sucks when I thought we were getting good weather and about to start going outside on the grass we got 3 or 4 inches of snow. I wonder how our first 2 weeks of the season will be. But after that we go down to South Carolina to play there where its warm thank god.

It also depends on how hard the pitcher throws. If he throws a 60 MPH fastball you shouldn’t be striding as if it were a 75-80 MPH fastball. It’s all timing.