When should i stop taking creatine?

my baseball tryouts begin in 2 and a half weeks and i was wondering when i should stop taking creatine. I have planned to stop 2 days b4 it starts but is taht too late? should i stop earlier? thank you

Your muscle concentration of creatine will take about 30 days after you completely stop taking creatine before it returns to it’s baseline creatine levels without supplementation?

I have to ask though, why do you desire to stop taking creatine when the season starts?

True, it can only benifit you through the season but it does need to be cycled.

well the thing is i dont want the risk of dehydration during a game or pratice. thats all

I’m unsure about taking creative for baseball. After I read the book 52-Week Baseball Training by Gene Coleman I have a different view on it. I’ve heard from some sources that Creatine improves muscle contraction and performance allowing it to be pushed to the limits. Creatine increases the capacity to train and is a very successful muscle builder. However, Gene strongly advised against Creatine during the season because of its increase in cramps, muscle pulls, and spasms. It can cause a 15 pound increase in body weight from water retention. Gene says this causes a “loss in step” and decrease in acceleration and quickness. He recommends using Creatine in the early off season and getting off of it before Christmas. He also states many college and professional teams recommend players to avoid Creatine. This is the opposite of what I have heard before. I was curious of your opinion on this topic? Is it true that Creatine have negative effects on your game? I trust this information because it’s in a published book by Gene Coleman who is the Texas Rangers and Houston Astros Strength coach for 22 years.

By the way the 52-Week Baseball Training book is great, it is packed with information, workouts for all positions with a yearlong program for Off Season, Pre Season, In Season, and Season. He includes exercises for core strength, foot speed, arm speed/ rotator cuff, forearm, and throwing programs for every position. He also includes interesting facts and background information about Major League and college training programs as well as extensive ways to improve overall strength and baseball specific weight training. He also gives tips and recommendations on supplements and diets for home and on the road. This was the best $20 I’ve ever spent.

ok thank you for sharing that with me ccesbaseball. the only side affect i have had with creatine was getting light headed and that was only once in over a year since i started using creatine. but other wise i have had no problems.

I liked the research that CCES Baseball has provided on the topic. From personal experience, I can verify that the use of creatine helps increase cramps in muscles. I took it throughout one summer and even though I gained strength the cramps increased after workouts and during games. I know creatine has been proved to work. Living in Nebraska and evaluating the past football training practices, UNL was one of the first insitutions to start using creatine in their program.

I do think that since the substance is relatively new that there is not enough evidence to provide conclusive proof that it is safe for teenagers. I know the purpose of creatine is to help the muscles recover faster from working out. What we do know from research is that the protein in muscle is what helps make it strong. Protein helps produce ATP in the muscle. ATP is the chemical that produces energy and once this is broken down, players must rest the muscle before continuing to exercise. Creatine helps the recovery of ATP. But, if athletes increase their protein intake they shouldn’t they be able to see the same gains as when using creatine?

As a parent, I would be leery about giving teenagers creatine before they turn 17-18 years old. Of course, I am not a medical professional but I have looked at some of the information out there and concluded these ideas.

My question has always been order of magnitude. How much “more” potential does it develop vs potential issues (A pitcher can’t be cramping in late innings etc…muscle mass doesn’t necessarily mean better pitching). I look forward to all your input…IMO this site is developing into a very high quality pitching/baseball health/conditioning sites, one of the best.

Alright, here’s my answer, and I promise you I have read abstract upon abstract of every study I find on creatine. It is quite frankly the most researched supplement in the world, even one-uping anabolic steriods.

Most studiese do not infact actually report anyone involved in the trial having any problems at all, cramping, loose bowels, anything.
You do read the occasional cramping, but I wouldn’t necessarily it is creatine to blame. Honestly, I blame the supplement companies and the American concept of more is better.

What I feel is more than likely the biggest cause of creatine and anything to do with hydration is the following:

People take their dose of creatine (generally 5 grams, sometimes more, I’ll get into later)
They put it into a fluid however, the powder does not desolve completely because they create a oversaturated solution.
Now creatine enters the body, and the body wants to dissolve it.
Water is drawn into the GI tract and out of other parts of the body.
This could be attributed to much if all loose bowel movement, dehydration, cramping as the body draws water that would using being within the muscle cells.

However, in reality this problem can be more or less eliminated, and personally I had zero problems with creatine and hydration.
Research has shown that to maintain elevated muscle creatine levels a dose of 3 grams after a workout is all that is needed for persons less that 200lbs, and it isn’t significantly more for people weighing in excess of 200lbs.

Supplement companies are the misinformers here, because the more you use the more money they make. You don’t need to use much, some proprietary blends contain 10g’s of creatine per serving, you just don’t need that much.

If creatine is combined with the right hydration and diet, I do not think one is to expect any ill effects. Also many studies I have read don’t report any measurable water retention either. However, I hear people mention gaining wather weight all the time, I didn’t notice any water weight gain for myself. Although i put on some decent weight for what my body generally allows as far as gaining lean mass.

Good study, one of literally thousands:

Reports positive effects on gaining lean mass, increasing power/strength, and sprint performance, did not notice change in total body water percentage.

Mueslce mass doesn’t necessarily mean better pitching, and I agree, however I think overall mass and weight is very critical for many pitchers.

Creatine is part of a properly designed strength and conditioning program.
In fact I was just reading an article today I about athlete and muscle gain, versus gained strength.

If an athlete is lifting what I consider properly, they will be increasing their overall power more than the increasing mass, per say. Where as a body builder increases mass, and overall strenth gain is less than comprable.
Creatine will help an athlete push out more reps/sets which allows greater strength gains, as well as hypertrophy, however this added strength will be greater than added weight so actually the athlete should become faster. I’m 20lbs heavier from last season, although still way too light, but I am so much faster than I was last year.

When I say lifting to increase power and such, I generally mean no more than 6 reps per set of the main compound exercises. Meaning, squats, deadlifts, presses, rows. 6 reps or less. However, the supplementary lifts to these I am in favor of going to up to around 10 reps as this will help aid in overall gains of strength and mass.

You could do well never taking a set over six reps, and you would gain far more strength than mass, so I do not see that as a problem at all.
Creatine’s aid in being able to do more reps is very helpful in pushing yourself to the next level.

One of the biggest things with creatine is the ability to break through plateaus or avoid them all together. Many advanced athletes abilities begin to level off at a point. With creatine you can break through this and continue to increase your athletisicm.